1982 BJ42 Shifting issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay. So I know what the problem is but here’s the back story. I drove the 40 to work a while ago and every was working great then I started home at the end of the day and about half way home I suddenly lost second gear. Figured it might be a problem inside the gearbox. So I pull the transmission that weekend and opened it up to inspect everything. I recently overhauled all the bearings and synchros so I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything looked new still and at the same time very confused. I changed the fluid and the master cylinder because that was leaking something fierce. Still couldn’t get into second while it was moving. Turns out my shifter is the problem. The bushing is cracked and there are two pins in what Toyota calls the “retainer” that are very loose and very warn. Anyone have any idea if you can replaced these pins/rivets? If there’s a rebuild kit?

IMG_3816.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_3820.jpeg

I would think you could pound them out and put in new ones. You might need to make new pins, if replacements can't bought or the whole top plate.

I would think you could pound them out and put in new ones. You might need to make new pins, if replacements can't bought or the whole top plate.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Making new ones. Wasn’t sure if there was a such a thing as a kit or anything for this as it seems to be a relatively common wear point. Also the top plate seems to be a hard one to find. Even finding the correct part number is becoming some what of a struggle

062-99-FIXSHIFT TOWER DOWEL PIN FIX IT KIT -
Fits 4 speed transmissions - Allows you to install a new dowel pins without removing the shift tower - Comes with both pins, washers, & nuts
On Sale - Everyone gets the Discounted Price on this part.
Prop 65 Caution WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm — www.p65warnings.ca.gov
This Product is in stock
Photo of part number 062-99-FIX

Top of Page

4 sp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom