73-Series Camper Sighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw an interesting looking 73 or 74 series camper conversion driving through Glacier National Park the other day. I was only able to get one poor photo, but it looks like it is a well traveled rig!
IMG_0546.JPG

Looks to be European spec due to the side marker on the fender. Camper definitely looks homemade too.

Hello,

It looks like an European spec HZJ74.

The front bumper appears to be a water tank.

I saw a similar conversion years ago on a 75.

Land Cruiser 75 - HJ75 10728-1266797441-45186914be3224773f112357242764d4.jpg

Notice how the front bumper doubles as a water tank. The 74 on the original post appears to have the same setup.

I think the center of gravity is a concern with these rigs.

Juan

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing AirheadNut.
It's not only a great looking TLC conversion but a great photo, considering how and where you took it from.

Regards
Homer

I spotted this camper conversion in Fort Davis and parked next to it for a quick pic, sorry for the poor quality, I still have an antique flip phone!

IMG_1281.JPG(2).jpeg
IMG_1280.JPG.jpeg

Are those still powered by a 1HZ? thats got to be brutal on the power aspect.

Yes sir. I see one or two of the 75 series campers come through our area every year and always try to talk with the owners, although it is sometimes difficult with the language barriers. All but one were naturally aspirated 1HZs, the other being a NA 1pz. I think the overlanders are most concerned with relialbity which is why they run NA, plus their there to see the sights and not run 85 down the interstate in a top heavy rig.

Are those still powered by a 1HZ? thats got to be brutal on the power aspect.

I had one that weighed about 1100kg and it wasnt too bad. It would sit on 110kph quite easily and the fuel consumption was not astronomical.
Acceleration, while slower was not too bad either. If you are going to put something like that on a HZJ75 you have to expect some compromises. I sold the camper after a few months, it just wasn't suitable offroad making the 75 series pointless. And also because it was PITA fitting and removing it and once off it took up too much space in my driveway.
I think the pop top type are better, because they are light, lower centre of gravity and less wind resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom