'73 FJ40 windshield wiper question (not electrical) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of getting my wipers working (thank you Coolerman for your website.....I used it quite a lot to get the electricals figured out).......but I've run into a mechanical issue.

I've got both sides turning freely, but the cable / link between the two sides is jammed up. I'm sure it's rust in the cable, but I've been soaking it in penetrating oil and moving it back and forth by hand (takes quite a lot of force to move it). I actually have to tap it with a small hammer to get it to move.

How hard should it be to move, if it's lubricated properly?

I've currently got it held vertically in my bench vise, with a funnel taped to one end, and a pool of penetrating oil sitting in the funnel. I've left it sit for two days, and the oil hasn't been able to migrate down the cable.

Any other suggestions before I buy a used one from SOR or Marks Off-Road?

Wiper assembly.jpg

Instead of soaking the cable in penetrating oil I think you need to try soaking it in Evapo Rust instead. It will dissolve the rust but not harm anything else. After rinsing it off you can lube the cable.

Instead of soaking the cable in penetrating oil I think you need to try soaking it in Evapo Rust instead. It will dissolve the rust but not harm anything else. After rinsing it off you can lube the cable.
Hmmm.....that's not a bad idea, and I have a 5 gallon bucket of Evapo-Rust

I’d like to come up with something else to replace this piece. Mine (73) moves freely enough, but the casing is less than ideal after 50 years. The outer plastic sheath has shrunk ( broken?) exposing the individual wire strands. I’m holding that end together with a hose clamp, but it’s not pretty. It seems like there must be a McGuiver solution for this linkage. Has anyone figured out another solution?

I had a cable that worked good but the outer sheath was toast. I recovered it with a couple layers of heat shrink. Looks factory new now.
So how many layers did it take? I think mine isn’t stiff enough either- unless it’s pretty wet the driver arm lags behind

Well, I was able to get it freed up. After it had soaked up enough oil that I could twist the cable, I removed the gear rack on one end, chucked it up in my drill and spun it while feeding WD-40.

Took about 30 minutes, but finally got it to where I can easily push/pull it with two fingers. I've got it soaking in a tub of oil at the moment.....figure I'll leave it in there for a few days and let the oil get into all the nooks and crannies.

I also used JackA's suggestion and put a couple layers of heat shrink on it.....very nice!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom