73/74 Aftermarket Soft top,I found one.What do you think of it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Joe...right now it is the perfect weather for soft top (or topless).
Unfortunately I have to much on my plate to start something like this now, I will be taking the HZJ73 with the softop to the Southern Cruiser Crawl though in 2 weeks if anyone wants to take a closer look at it.When I get back home from the event the softop will be removed and when I find some time I will continue with this.

No rush. Just hoping for a soft top option if I decide on something else in the future that has FRP on it.

I hoping for an update. Tell me your plate is full but you’re still working on this... I’m definitely interested!

Nope I sold it and am using a bikini top on mine again.

Which bikini top are you using Joeri?

Cheapest one I could find from bestop , I think it was intended for the older Wrangler models , a little bit to small for a 7x but I can live with that 😉

Interested and I might have a guy in the ATL area I've worked with in the past that might be able to make this happen. Someone PM me if you have the parts/top that would be able to use for R&D.

I’m currently building frames & hardware + soft-top for two Mud members with a BJ73 and BJ74. Very pleased with the development so far. Let’s hope they like it too!

A bit about the fabric:

What we're building is just like that of the OEM type tops. This is a triple layered vinyl/canvas coating with butyl rubber sandwiched between. (In the past, there were reports of other top's fabric tearing up. They were irreparable and a complete wastage). This triple layer is strong!

They’re like the German type canvas/vinyl that are fantastic but usually extremely expensive. This is a three piece top, where you can easily roll up or remove the sides With this frame, you can also leave the sides on, and take off the top!

We intend to use a slide track for the fabric to attach over the windshield. Also, we're aware that the threading/threads are prone to weaken over time, so we've sourced the best thread to make sure it lasts for a long time. There are no zips in this frame. Only industrial grade velcro.

As for the frame;

there will be no drilling required. The frame will be installed in the OEM and existing slots of the 73. We’re using an OEM 70 Series frame and modifying it as per the 73. This frame will use stock attachment points, so there will be no drilling. For those with full rear doors, they'll be able to use their doors, with the top+frame built like the factory ones to seal around back doors. The craftsmen here are used to building frames for the 40 and 70 Series cruisers, so if anyone also wants a frame+soft-top for that, we can do that too. In the hardware, we're also sending a pair of pillars (they go right above the side windows) which are OEM from a BJ70 soft-top. They have factory rivets/sprockets which will allow you to use our soft-top with. It'll be plug and play.

Attached with this post are photos of completed soft-tops for BJ70s, the frame we're using from a BJ70, and our own BJ73, which we're using to ensure that measurements are precise and correct.

IMG-2941.jpg

IMG-2900.jpg

IMG-1962.jpg

IMG-1960.jpg

IMG-1956.jpg

I am the one who ordered the BJ73 one. I’ll post a ton of pics and a write up on the install when I get it. 4060seriesnut has been giving me almost daily updates! This is looking like a great option for us in the States for OEM look and Quality!

I am the one who ordered the BJ73 one. I’ll post a ton of pics and a write up on the install when I get it. 4060seriesnut has been giving me almost daily updates! This is looking like a great option for us in the States for OEM look and Quality!
WOOHOO :)
Hoping it turns out great and you get great value for your money!

I like them but is there an option for the soft top to cover the rear too? Like the rear doors have been chopped or they are the OEM ones with no windows. Thanks

I like them but is there an option for the soft top to cover the rear too? Like the rear doors have been chopped or they are the OEM ones with no windows. Thanks
Yes... If we're on the same page and you're referring to certain variants of the BJ73/74 which don't have the upper doors, then yes, we can extend the fabric to cover the void created by the missing/removed doors. Is that what you wanted to know?
I received a query from a gentleman here who owns 2-3 Medium Wheel Base cruisers, which mostly didn't have the rear upper doors.
Can you please post photos of your cruiser from the back?

Thanks!

So you are saying they are building the whole back piece that the full doors close against and latch into?

As a former 70 series soft top owner, that is exactly what I was wondering too. It will be interesting to see how this one works.

This is exciting. Been hunting soft top options for my BJ74 since the day I bought it. Keenly interested in the finished product and would like to learn more about ordering one for my LC.

So you are saying they are building the whole back piece that the full doors close against and latch into?

1989srzandres_1-jpg.1402943

Exactly! Today we tried the frame on our BJ73, and were glad that it fit (It had to!). We're just making sure it behaves/settles/acts as the FRP top sits (the locks and everything have to be the same on this new frame as the FPR top)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom