71/76 Rear Door Hinges for Jerry Can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure if there are propper hinge covers for this option, but I used a coping saw to modify mine to accomodate the extensions. If I didn't they would pop off every time the door opened. Also is a close up of the bracket mounting. I used toyota bolts and a little rubber washer to help absorb a bit of vibration.

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

Finished product. I swapped the 24v bulbs from the old bracket. The light harness fit the license plate bracket perfect, but it was too short and had a diferent plug, so it was extended and the plug from the old set up was swapped so it would plug in. I already had the Wavian 5 gal can. It fits in fine and the straps secure it, but the bracket has a slightly larger radius curve to accomodate the OEM Toyota can. You can see the slight gaps on the back of the can. Finally, the licence plate holes were way down low on the bracket,so the plate hung off in a strange way. I just drilled a couple holes up higher to mount the plate in a more normal way.

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

Thats awesome! Great photos and info there. Seeing the way those hinges are made makes me wonder if it would be possible to weld extensions on the factory units for the same result. My lower hinge needs to be replaced anyway, might be worth experimenting a bit... 🤔

All you are missing now is a oem toyota Jerrycan , I have 3 or 4 left from my last sale ;)

Finished product. I swapped the 24v bulbs from the old bracket. The light harness fit the license plate bracket perfect, but it was too short and had a diferent plug, so it was extended and the plug from the old set up was swapped so it would plug in. I already had the Wavian 5 gal can. It fits in fine and the straps secure it, but the bracket has a slightly larger radius curve to accomodate the OEM Toyota can. You can see the slight gaps on the back of the can. Finally, the licence plate holes were way down low on the bracket,so the plate hung off in a strange way. I just drilled a couple holes up higher to mount the plate in a more normal way.

View attachment 2811691

View attachment 2811694

View attachment 2811695
Hi chinoiokie
Thanks for the pictures and the description I too planning to undertake the same project and your inputs are timely and great and I I appreciate you for sharing your experience.
I too got down the same oem part/parts minus the jerry can which I have a couple in brand new condition.
I'll be fixing it to my 1988 bj 73 - frp top so I need some help from you to proceed with the project. Did you weld a supporting frame from inside the door to strengthen the jerry can bracket?
Also what's the exact model of your 70 series?
Hope to seeing an early reply
Many thanks
Samath

Hello Samath,

I have an HZJ-77 from Japan. The stylle of the rear doors appears to have very little change over the years. What I have is the bracket that attaches to the special hinges. There are two holes in the bracket that you can see in the pictures, where the support bracket touches the door. In those two attachment points I had to drill through the sheet metal to provide an extra support to the brackets. On the inside of the door I used flat washers and lock washers with some nylock nuts. I also used some hardware that I had to fill all the old holes that were from the original brackets in the door. I'll paint them white when I get so some extra paint. I did not reinforce the bracket with anything aside of some washers at this point. I may add a additional metal plating inside in the future with some epoxy to adhere it to the door.

Last edited:

View attachment 2811691

View attachment 2811694

View attachment 2811695
Hi chinoiokie
Thanks for the pictures and the description I too planning to undertake the same project and your inputs are timely and great and I I appreciate you for sharing your experience.
I too got down the same oem part/parts minus the jerry can which I have a couple in brand new condition.
I'll be fixing it to my 1988 bj 73 - frp top so I need some help from you to proceed with the project. Did you weld a supporting frame from inside the door to strengthen the jerry can bracket?
Also what's the exact model of your 70 series?
Hope to seeing an early reply
Many thanks
Sama
Hello Samath,

I have an HZJ-77 from Japan. The stylle of the rear doors appears to have very little change over the years. What I have is the bracket that attaches to the special hinges. There are two holes in the bracket that you can see in the pictures, where the support bracket touches the door. In those two attachment points I had to drill through the sheet metal to provide an extra support to the brackets. On the inside of the door I used flat washers and lock washers with some nylock nuts. I also used some hardware that I had to fill all the old holes that were from the original brackets in the door. I'll paint them white when I get so some extra paint. I did not reinforce the bracket with anything aside of some washers at this point. I may add a additional metal plating inside in the future with some epoxy to adhere it to the door.
Hi chinookie
Thanks you so very much for the prompt reply. I'm sure that information will help me greatly to attach the jerry can bracket to my 73. Thanks again
Cheers
Samath

Thats awesome! Great photos and info there. Seeing the way those hinges are made makes me wonder if it would be possible to weld extensions on the factory units for the same result. My lower hinge needs to be replaced anyway, might be worth experimenting a bit... 🤔
I very recently saw those 2 for sale here, seems in both case they custom made extensions to the hinges to add a spare wheel on a door not reinforced for. So I guess should be possible to do the same thing on the other door for a jerrycan.

2ebec6b6fa4b28cd20de79b3d61ec04f3786d2c9.jpg

9435f20f7b3305c8a92dc303de89d2fcd454987f.jpg

Thanks. I probably could have done it different, but I'm a sucker for OEM parts.
If you are looking to complete it with an OEM Jerrycan there is a big French 4x4 garage that sell them for 24€ a piece, seems they got hold of a big shipment of them (same company that was selling complete J71 bodies recently).
Normally wouldn't think it's worth importing from Europe a Jerrycan but considering how much I see them for sale in the US 🙀

Not having any luck finding these parts available on the sites mentioned. All seem to be out of stock.
Anyone had any luck purchasing the 68802-60070 and 68804A-60070 brackets online ?

You just have to know where to look...

Kind of pricy, but they are brand new OEM parts. Not sure about shipping to AU.
Hope it helps.
Thanks mate, Yep that's them. Once converted to AUS dollars and shipped they will be about $650 to my door - just for the brackets.

Thanks for sharing the info - I can see this being a very expensive project ! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom