700r4 torque converter??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent the last few hours reading and researching torque converters for my 700r4 (behind 5.7 TBI) and have about had it. From what I have read I want a 1 ton HD converter. It sounded easy....So where do I get one? I have tried the local Summit, Napa, Autozone, and Kragen. None of them carry a "stock" HD converter. Some of them have low stall ones, but do I really want a low stall? My gearing is going to be 5.38 R&P, 700r4 3.06 1st, 4:1 t-case, 40" tires. Napa has a utility one for $300 but it is <1200 stall speed. Summit has low stall speed ones <1200 (towing application) for around $300. Autozone wants my VIN number to make sure I'm getting the right one. Kragen can't get one period. So to make a long story longer, I can't seem to find an HD torque converter for a stock application for around a 1600-1800 stall speed which is what I think I need. Is there anyone out there that can help me out with what I need and where to get one?

orangefj45 is who recommended mine....I have a stock stall HD converver...it's on the shop floor now, but no tags to read what it was :)

I'd talk to your local transmission shop and find out where they get their converters from , then call them .

My true question is "what is stock stall speed?" I have seen 1200-2000 so far. And my tranny guy is a street/drag guy so he isn't much help. I'd go with a lower stall speed but I'm worried I'm gonna drive thru my brakes with 5.38's and 4:1

mine is stamped C40HDT

700R4 Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kits, Supply the parts and save money! - Drivetrain.com

"Large Bowl 12" Code: DG, DF, DK, low stall 1992-1994: 5.0L, 5.7L, Trucks 1987-1994: will retro to 1984L Heavy duty bearing and turbine hub"

'HDT - Heavy Duty Turbine - Designed for heavy duty applications with stock stall speeds. HD+Flanged turbine hub to prevent twisting."

I love it in my truck....zero complaints.....4:1 transfer case but 4.10's in the diffs with 39's...unsure how it would react with the lower diff gearing you have installed.

Tried to look more into the number you gave me, but all it shows is low stall :frown: I have read so many conflicting opinions but what i have come up with so far is that with my low gearing I will probably drive thru my brakes. Higher stall means better launch but also equals more heat. A stock stall is around 1800-2000, a low towing stall is around 1200. So I am gonna get a TCI converter rated at 1700 - hopefully it will be low enough to not cause extra heat issues but not so low that i drive thru my brakes

... low enough to not cause extra heat issues but not so low that i drive thru my brakes

A nice big tranny cooler will help out with the heat department. If it's bad, get one with it's own fan (you'll need a tranny temp gauge to see what's going on).

Get a stock heavy duty and call it good. You will not drive thru the brakes unless you have an idle of 1300+. The only reason to get a higher than stock stall is for big cam that doesn't make power at low rpms. in this case, the cam mfg will tell you what stall you need. Unless you are drag racing or mud bogging you will hate a 1700 stall!

Edit: I had to clean up my poor grammar and spelling thanks to my iphone :D

Last edited:
I got a 1700 stall cause it stated it was for a standard replacement. I know everybody keeps saying "go with stock stall converter" but no one can tell you what the stock stall actually is. From reading on pirate I concluded that I definately don't want a low stall speed because of my gearing. Here is the exact quote from TCI These TCI Sizzler torque converters are designed as economical, 50-state legal street rod converters. Use them in stock or slightly modified engines to gain improved drivability and a smoother idle while in gear, without adversely affecting your gas mileage.
A lot of the threads I have read so far from various sites state that most like a stall speed of 1500 up to 2000, while the comp rigs with big motors are running ~2500. Anything in the 1200 range seems to drive thru brakes. My tranny guy also told me today that 1700 is in the stock range for torque converters for a truck. :meh: If I don't like it, I'll change it i guess :hmm:

We used what my tranny guy called an IROC type in mine that we are building. We've also used it in 2 heeps with good luck and it keeps the gearing from overpowering the brakes.

We used what my tranny guy called an IROC type in mine that we are building. We've also used it in 2 heeps with good luck and it keeps the gearing from overpowering the brakes.

I'm guessing for a 89-90ish camaro? That would be a higher stall ratio I think.......unfortunately since I don't have my drivetrain in it'll be a while before I get to test my TCI one

stock stall could be anywhere from 1200-2200 rpms depending on the application.

i would recommend getting something between 1400-1700. stall is determined by engine torque. so for a given converter, this can range by 300-400 RPMs. the more torque your engine is putting out, the higher the stall will be.

i use a company out of san jose CA. i have used them for years. the transmission shop i used to run got all their convetres there, usually 5-6 per day and we had very few issues. and i mean very few.

it pays to get a quality converter. iirc, i can get you the C40HDT for about $250 plus shipping.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom