70 series unselectable locked hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking into importing a 70 series firetruck from Japan.
This may be a newbie question, but it seems that 1HZ/leaf sprung 70 series in videos I have seen have manual hubs.
The fire truck seems to have permanently locked hubs. Does that sound right?
I am really curious about these and believe that the firetrucks are combinations that a normal person could not buy at the time, dual cab, etc. Does anyone have any experience with these?

See an example here:

Here is a "normal" one:

They’re just drive flanges. Swapping them to manual hubs is fairly simple, and I keep a set of drive flanges just in case. Some of the heavy duty 70’s outside of the fire truck world have them.

I’m not sure what you are asking for by the experience people have with the fire truck’s, but there’s a good handful of people here with them now, and they’re still 7x series trucks at the end of the day, so nothing too crazy different besides being unique in origin and design.

Hello,

Some 70 Series models do not have manual hubs. General markets trucks and fire engines among them.

An advantage of these hubs is that it is possible to shift from 2WD to 4WD without stopping to lock the manual hubs. Something handy in some environments.

It is possible to convert these "fixed" hubs into manual hubs if you have the parts.

Juan

If it helps, my HZJ75 has one selectable and one drive flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom