70 series shopping, where do I find all the answers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wagonteeth

Hippoverde
Threads
Where do I find them without asking the same questions that get asked a thousand times?

Is there a FAQ that I'm missing?

-What does FRP mean? Fiberglass Removable platypus, toP?
-Does the 73 share axle parts with 80's? 60's? both?
-can I put a rear disk conversion on a 1990 HZJ73 with OEM parts?
-anyone retrofit factory elockers?

I have used search for a few of these questions and get puzzle pieces of the answers, but little definitive.

To add to this, is there a guide that shows the differences between the years/models? I like Slee's write up on the 80 and 100.

-FRP is Fiber Reinforced Plastic
-70 series axles are not really cross compatible with 60 series but the mid 1990+ front axle is basically an 80 front end with leaf springs.
-Disc conversion can be done but I believe there is some fab work needed. I want to say Tundra calipers can be used.
-The e-locker will work easily in the front 8" housing but the rear 9.5" third is tricky. I love keeping a Cruiser all Toyota but I'm going Harrops on my Troopy

To add to this, is there a guide that shows the differences between the years/models? I like Slee's write up on the 80 and 100.

Over a 1000 different variations of the 7x series over 33 years that it's been manufactured. Many changes over many years over many markets. And since the truck never came to the US market, you can't really do a Slee style 80/100 FAQ. Africa got a completely different 7x series than Europe did in 1989/2001/2014, for example.

Best to start by going to Wikipedia as a general introduction.

Then sit around and search and read there 70 series section using keyword searches based on your area of inquiry.

Hanging out and talking to a knowledgeable 70 series owner would also work.

And of course, 25 year rule is in effect for all 7x series trucks into the US market.

Where do I find them without asking the same questions that get asked a thousand times?

-What does FRP mean? Fiberglass Removable platypus, toP?
-Does the 73 share axle parts with 80's? 60's? both?

I have used search for a few of these questions and get puzzle pieces of the answers, but little definitive.
P.M. Sent

image.jpeg

Or talk to Charles.

He is definitely the most knowledgeable 7x series expert in the US.

As far as I know the axle parts are the same as a 60 series except for the short shaft on the early years, don't know till when. The rear might be the same for longer model years.

These are different as well depending on market. It's convoluted for the uninitiated.

Over a 1000 different variations of the 7x series over 33 years that it's been manufactured. Many changes over many years over many markets. And since the truck never came to the US market, you can't really do a Slee style 80/100 FAQ. Africa got a completely different 7x series than Europe did in 1989/2001/2014, for example.

Best to start by going to Wikipedia as a general introduction.

Then sit around and search and read there 70 series section using keyword searches based on your area of inquiry.

Hanging out and talking to a knowledgeable 70 series owner would also work.

And of course, 25 year rule is in effect for all 7x series trucks into the US market.

Hello,

x2.

By the way, it is possible to do a rear disc brake conversion on an HZJ73 using OEM parts. For e-lockers, it is advisable either to go OEM or use a Harrop one; it is wise to install a rear locker only on a full floating axle.

The forum is a good information source, as is a knowledgeable 70 Series owner.

If the above is not enough, then ask here.

A recommendation: get to know your 70 Series thoroughly before considering modifications.

Juan

Why only rear locker on a full float?

Fyi all the HZJ73’s that I have for sale have full floater axles in the rear with rear oem disc brakes.

For the rest of the stuff.....it is like Beno says to many variatons in different models for different markets, I am wheeling and dealing in 7x models well over 20 years now and still learn new stuff about them.

Joe

One good starting point is FSMs. In particular I found RM172E to be helpful in getting acclimated with the early 1hz, 1hd-t, and 1pz engines.

Toyota FSMs make great international flight reading. Get in a trance and hammer out 8 hours of reading. Bazinga.

Last edited:
Why only rear locker on a full float?

Hello,

As mentioned above, e-lockers work only with FF axles.

On the other hand, in the (unlikely) event the axle shafts snap when using the locker, a full floating axle will keep the wheel in place, which is good to limp back home, or even terrain.

Lockers put additional stress on axle shafts. A full floating axle is cheap insurance in case something breaks.

Juan

IMO the rear disc conversion is a lot of work for very little gain. I've had both drum and disc rears and once the drums are set up correctly and maintained, they will stop you just as quick.
Air lockers are easy to fit and just as reliable.

You will find out that the 7* series are the most diverse of all Landcruisers. About 13 engine choices and probably as many body configurations and gearboxes and axle combos No market has them all , but Japan and Australia are the closest.
Getting access to parts diagrams and knowing exactly what you have is the key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom