70 series MPH speedometer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was never into this project for making money and it all started with me wanting to convert my own speedometer face to include MPH indications.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those that want to print and use the speedometer face with mph marks. I am going to be sharing the pdf file that you can print out. I figure most people have access to opening pdf files rather than vector files so that is what I am sharing here. It is 1:1 scale to your 70 series speedometer face but double check. I don't accept any responsibility for conflicts. Do your own research before starting on this project.

There are some possible conflicts you need to watch out for.

1) Right now I only have 160 km/h version posted in both t-belt and without t-belt format. There is no 180 km/h or 200 km/h available at the moment. 180 km/h version can be made but I need the actual speedometer face in my possession for measurements and such. I do not have any plans to continue make 200 km/h version (who goes that fast in a vintage 70 series?). When the 180 km/h becomes available, I will post a link to it in this thread.

2) This was a conflict for me. Your 70 series may have a newer, plastic type face that is lit from the back. An overlay like this won't work for you in this case. It blocks the light at night when cluster lights are on and you can't see the numbers. So check for this definitely before you even go through the trouble of printing it out.

3) This overlay requires the removal and re-installation of the speedometer needle unless you want to cut a small slit where you slide it on. I will post instructions below as an aid.

Printing instructions: You must choose 'Actual size' for this pdf file. You can print on adhesive paper, magnetic paper, whatever and cut out the openings. Cutting out the openings is the most challenging part. Then you trim it to fit over your speedometer face. If you choose any other setting than 'Actual Size'...then the print out will not be to scale.... Do a test print on normal paper first.

PrinterSetting.JPG

Installation instructions:

InstallInstructions.JPG

Link to pdf file here: Updated 9/21/22.

160 km/h to mph vector file
160 km/h to mph pdf file (file is 1:1) print actual size

180 km/h to mph vector file
180 km/h to mph pdf file (file is 1:1) print actual size

Last edited:
Did you make this in Illustrator?
It’s awesome!

Yeah the master vector file was made with illustrator.

I was never into this project for making money and it all started with me wanting to convert my own speedometer face to include MPH indications.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those that want to print and use the speedometer face with mph marks. I am going to be sharing the pdf file that you can print out. I figure most people have access to opening pdf files rather than vector files so that is what I am sharing here. It is 1:1 scale to your 70 series speedometer face but double check. I don't accept any responsibility for conflicts. Do your own research before starting on this project.

There are some possible conflicts you need to watch out for.

1) Right now I only have 160 km/h version posted in both t-belt and without t-belt format. There is no 180 km/h or 200 km/h available at the moment. 180 km/h version can be made but I need the actual speedometer face in my possession for measurements and such. I do not have any plans to continue make 200 km/h version (who goes that fast in a vintage 70 series?). When the 180 km/h becomes available, I will post a link to it in this thread.

2) This was a conflict for me. Your 70 series may have a newer, plastic type face that is lit from the back. An overlay like this won't work for you in this case. It blocks the light at night when cluster lights are on and you can't see the numbers. So check for this definitely before you even go through the trouble of printing it out.

3) This overlay requires the removal and re-installation of the speedometer needle unless you want to cut a small slit where you slide it on. I will post instructions below as an aid.

Printing instructions: You must choose 'Actual size' for this pdf file. You can print on adhesive paper, magnetic paper, whatever and cut out the openings. Cutting out the openings is the most challenging part. Then you trim it to fit over your speedometer face. If you choose any other setting than 'Actual Size'...then the print out will not be to scale.... Do a test print on normal paper first.

View attachment 2896729

Installation instructions:

View attachment 2896730

Link to pdf file here: It is my first time using dropbox to share a pdf file so if the link gets broken...I don't have any control over that. Pdf file shows two versions. One with t-belt and one without.

70 series speedometer-v2r.pdf - https://www.dropbox.com/s/igafag2srymso4a/70%20series%20speedometer-v2r.pdf?dl=0

Epic. That is all.

I think slitting it is the way to go. It is very challenging to get the needle off without jacking up the mechanism.

Epic. That is all.

I think slitting it is the way to go. It is very challenging to get the needle off without jacking up the mechanism.

I agree 100% knowing what I know now. The needle itself is very fragile too.

Last edited:
I only used magnetic paper when making them. Can be easily found on Amazon for both laser and inkjet printers.

I never tried adhesive backed label/paper/vinyl to be honest but I can't see why not...it is going to print the same. Adhesives is probably not as easily reversible though if you want to remove it for some reason, just something to keep in mind.

Adhesives is probably not as easily reversible though if you want to remove it for some reason, just something to keep in mind.

Magnetic is repositionable as well. Getting a sticker down right on the first pass could be trickey. My only concern about a magnetic sheet is possible interference with the magnetic cup that spins the needle. How about a cling like is used on glass?

My only concern about a magnetic sheet is possible interference with the magnetic cup that spins the needle.

A few people out there are using magnetic versions (listed below) and I haven't heard of any interference issues. It isn't much of a pull, just enough to stay attached to the face.

@RHINO
@svsisu
@Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner drove an Airbus. He'd hardly notice. :rimshot:

Gun Runner drove an Airbus. He'd hardly notice. :rimshot:
To be clear, the Airbus drove itself. I was there simply to make sure the Expresso Machine functioned properly. 😊

Matt, this is astounding work. Would you ever be willing to tackle the later 79 speedometers?

Magnetic is repositionable as well. Getting a sticker down right on the first pass could be trickey. My only concern about a magnetic sheet is possible interference with the magnetic cup that spins the needle. How about a cling like is used on the glass

The magnetic on the paper is so slight, I thought about it when installing, the way the needle cup mounts would make any pull from the dial cover linear, and would actually help float the cup, win win

The cover up being magnetic also has the benefit of being turned slightly for a couple mph speed correction

A sticker on the glass would be funky for all but the absolute straight on view, since it's a few inches away from the dial face.

The cover up I am using has been absolutely flawless.

Last edited:
Interesting on the magnetic paper, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking like a vehicle wrap type vinyl that sticks would probably come off ok too. I guess we will see.

Would it be possible to create a different version of this that printed on a clear background with just the MPH text and markings? If so, you print it on a clear sheet and use adhesive (tape or spray) to overlay it in the right spot or print it on clear adhesive printer paper. The existing KPH text and markings would stay as is with a clear overlay for matching mph markings.

Matt, this is astounding work. Would you ever be willing to tackle the later 79 speedometers?
Galen. I can always try.....for beer. Kidding on the beer but yes I can try. I like a challenge. I am learning as I go along with this.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to create a different version of this that printed on a clear background with just the MPH text and markings? If so, you print it on a clear sheet and use adhesive (tape or spray) to overlay it in the right spot or print it on clear adhesive printer paper. The existing KPH text and markings would stay as is with a clear overlay for matching mph markings.

If I am understanding you correctly. I can revise the graphic where it is just the MPH dial but it won't work on the JDM face that these overlays are based off of. Here is a photo for comparison. As you can see the placement and size of the numbers on the km/h only face doesn't leave much room for a mph dial under it. Toyota has so many variants out there though.

CaptureSpeedo5.JPG

This is great stuff....Someday I hope to haver my BJ74 back here in VT and have an MPH overlay..... When I bought the truck so many years ago I fretted about registering & inspecting it. Wasn't bad but my research revealed the State of VT inspection (annual) requires a speedo readout in MPH....(just an FYI)

State of VT inspection (annual) requires a speedo readout in MPH

Seems a bit unfair. Vermont assuming you can't do math on the fly.

Maybe it is economic Protectionism, preventing a vast influx of vehicles manufactured in Quebec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom