70 Series (light duty) Shock Interchangeability / Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there everybody,

Long time lurker but first time poster. Apologies if this has been touched on or discussed before but having spent a considerable amount of time searching this topic this but unable to find much if anything, thought I would ask.

Recently purchased a 70 Series Prado, and having seen the fairly unique "coil spring over suspension" setup was just wondering if there are other suspension or shock options besides say OME or Dobinsons? As I understand it, the 70 Series Prado (light duty) shares certain suspension components with the 80 Series, but was it ever possible to swap suspension components such as the shock absorbers from other members of the 70 Series family?

Would it be possible to say get components from Fox, King Suspension, Radflo or Icon to work? Maybe a generic shock absorber taking into account fully compressed and fully extended lengths?

Thanks guys for your time.

I've always wondered about this too. Especially as I'd like some slightly longer ones (I over extend my longer Dobinsons occasionally). I have heard of people spec'ing generic Koni etc. and having good luck, but those models are since obsolete. Eg. KZJ70 Shock lengths - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kzj70-shock-lengths.509024/post-6858541

There's some info in this old thread of mine on some popular shock lengths. You could use this to try to spec new generic ones. LJ78 100mm lift on 35s - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lj78-100mm-lift-on-35s.1232042/

I've never looked at 80 series ones to see if their compatible.

Just to spice the thread up a bit. Dude with the Konis:

img_0244-jpg.546808

My truck:

IMG_20210521_133032534_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I could certainly be wrong but my understanding is if you were able to match the specs: length, upper/lower fastening geometry, travel/load you could have a shock absorber that works. Of course, there are numerous other considerations like dampening technology used, adjustability, longevity etc.

Although I am currently not in the same league as @GTSSportCoupe seeking more travel, I am in the market for good dependable, over-performing set of shocks for my KZJ78, something good for the first phase (mainly on-road, vacation truck).

I drive heavily modified (~11k lbs net weight) 200 series trucks at work and I've been poking my head into our service shop whenever I can. In terms of shocks used, there were always a set of unmarked, 3rd party foam cell two-stage shocks that are almost twice as thick as the OE ones. I was never able to identify them as they have no markings even when they come new from the modifier (Also, the upper mount point appears to be a further modification, post-construction). yes those are certainly spec'ed for extreme duty but I want something overbuilt with similar technology if I can.

Cheers!

I am also on the search for new shocks and recently had my eye on these:

They are a twin-tube design, fully rebuildable and very well made. My only concern is how they would compare to a monotube shock, like the Ironman foamcell shocks I had for the past 8 years.

@GTSSportCoupe I think I've seen that photo of the Koni guy before, and if I'm not mistaken he used Land Rover Defender rear shocks for both front and rear, since it has top eye and bottom stem mounts like ours (front shock is stem both sides).

As mentioned above Landrover defender / discovery 1 rear shock absorbers fit front and rear so that should open up quite a few options.

I have them fitted front and rear to my LJ78 because they are readily available here (UK)

As mentioned above Landrover defender / discovery 1 rear shock absorbers fit front and rear so that should open up quite a few options.

I have them fitted front and rear to my LJ78 because they are readily available here (UK)

Being that the extended/collapsed length of our shocks is usually ~40mm shorter in the rear, how does it behave / articulate with longer shocks in the back ? Did you have to extend your bump stops ? Does it rub/hit anywhere ? or have you used standard height shocks. Thanks 🙂

Being that the extended/collapsed length of our shocks is usually ~40mm shorter in the rear, how does it behave / articulate with longer shocks in the back ? Did you have to extend your bump stops ? Does it rub/hit anywhere ? or have you used standard height shocks. Thanks 🙂
Well I run 35s with only a 50mm lift (I like the height of the tyres but without it being too tall) so it rubs every where 🙈 fronts are standard and rears are +50mm (I think) the standard LR shocks have a slightly longer collapsed length.

I can’t remember the lengths off the top of my head it was a few years ago I fitted them.

B23C5297-F15B-4EC0-9063-3D90F5B5FB8E.jpeg

Thanks guys for your experience sharing and replies. Should know where to begin looking and what to look for now. Strangely enough the relevant workshop manuals do not list the stock shock fully collapsed and extended lengths.

I did read somewhere on the interwebs that 80 Series shocks are compatible or are they no go?

I hate to bring back a dead thread, but I need dampers (shocks) pretty badly. If someone has part numbers for a decent aftermarket replacement I'd love to hear from you. I have found nothing from OME so I'm looking at Land Rovers to see what might work. The truck is not lifted.

I really wish I had original compressed and extended lengths to guide me towards a good fit. I guess I'll have to pull the shocks and measure.

I'll go with Dobinsons if I have to, but they seem a little expensive for a twin-tube shock.

Last edited:
As luck(?) would have it, Toyota Previa rear shocks are the right mounting style and compressed length for the rear. Rock Auto had some Monroe OESpectrum on wholesaler closeout so I took a $45 (all-in) chance. Too soft by half, at least. I don't think I'll try a "better" KYB shock in the same application.

I'm leaning towards Bilstein B6s in 1995-2004 Land/Range Rover fitment as Monroe dampers for that vehicle come in at the right lengths for a stock-ride-height J78. Bilstein doesn't appear to publish their dimensions, but Monroe does.

I've emailed RideTech to see if their adjustabe mono-tube can be run upside down to fit the J78. Now I have to be patient and wait for a reply. I guess I'll see if I can find better front speakers in the mean time.

Last edited:
^ good info. Thank you for sharing your findings.

Still debating which shocks I want for my KZJ78, the ones highlighted by @malteser are certainly interesting, they sound like real quality stuff.

Pair of front shock absorbers Toyota KZJ70 +2.4" - https://www.hm4x4.com/en/shock-absorbers-toyota-kzj-70-plus-6cm

I went ahead and emailed HM4x4 asking about compatibility with the KZJ78, this might sound silly but their description mentioned the kzj70, 73 but didn't specifically list the 78. I have yet to get an answer and I think they'll be just fine on my truck but wanted to be sure. Any thoughts?

Hi there everybody,

Long time lurker but first time poster. Apologies if this has been touched on or discussed before but having spent a considerable amount of time searching this topic this but unable to find much if anything, thought I would ask.

Recently purchased a 70 Series Prado, and having seen the fairly unique "coil spring over suspension" setup was just wondering if there are other suspension or shock options besides say OME or Dobinsons? As I understand it, the 70 Series Prado (light duty) shares certain suspension components with the 80 Series, but was it ever possible to swap suspension components such as the shock absorbers from other members of the 70 Series family?

Would it be possible to say get components from Fox, King Suspension, Radflo or Icon to work? Maybe a generic shock absorber taking into account fully compressed and fully extended lengths?

Thanks guys for your time.
SK068, suspension kit (Terrain Tamer), 40 mm lift
your better option.

The light duty J70 (headlight square version, not the "bundera") uses the sames bushing system of front J80 by two (for the front and the rear axle)
and the shocks are pretty rare and uniques......

^ good info. Thank you for sharing your findings.

Still debating which shocks I want for my KZJ78, the ones highlighted by @malteser are certainly interesting, they sound like real quality stuff.

Pair of front shock absorbers Toyota KZJ70 +2.4" - https://www.hm4x4.com/en/shock-absorbers-toyota-kzj-70-plus-6cm

I went ahead and emailed HM4x4 asking about compatibility with the KZJ78, this might sound silly but their description mentioned the kzj70, 73 but didn't specifically list the 78. I have yet to get an answer and I think they'll be just fine on my truck but wanted to be sure. Any thoughts?
The HM 4x4 product does look good, but their springs start at a 60mm lift and I'm not up for that. They also use polyurethane bushings which are not the best for flexibility/articulation. I noticed when changing my rear shocks that the mounting geometry isn't great and the OE shocks have a very flexible top bushing. With shipping the HM 4x4 spring and shock kit is €1934.59 or $2087 USD at today's exchange rates. Seems like a fair deal to get a premium shock, but only if you want that 6 cm lift.

The Terrain Tamer come in at $2040 AUD with shipping. The exchange rate says $1330 USD. If I were ready to lift the truck 40mm then sure. I don't know how Terrain Tamer compares to Dobinson's. If anyone has that knowledge I'm sure someone would love to know. Both use twin-tube, nitrogen-charged shocks and +40 mm springs so the tech is comparable on the surface. Warranty might be a deciding factor? A +40mm Dobinson's kit with the springs, shocks and steering damper is $1295 before shipping. Add in the rubber caster bushing set and it's $1435.

But for me, with my stock-height I'm leaning in favor of the Land Rover Bilstein B6s as they are a high quality mono-tube.

Last edited:
Thank you @Joshua225

Since my truck came with JDM supplied taller springs and OEM shocks, I would actually like to maintain the current stance (lifted). You are correct about the polyurethane bushings being less accommodating for flexing, but that is a plus for my current use of the truck: on-road/camping/road trip truck. Switching to more off-road oriented setup would be the case in the future when the kids are older.

Your cost breakdown was very helpful. The HM4x4 product isn't cheap, but looks to be quality, and I also like how they are designed to be fully rebuildable.

I now should probably do some research on these Bilstein B6s. Intriguing.

Thank you @Joshua225

Since my truck came with JDM supplied taller springs and OEM shocks, I would actually like to maintain the current stance (lifted). You are correct about the polyurethane bushings being less accommodating for flexing, but that is a plus for my current use of the truck: on-road/camping/road trip truck. Switching to more off-road oriented setup would be the case in the future when the kids are older.

Your cost breakdown was very helpful. The HM4x4 product isn't cheap, but looks to be quality, and I also like how they are designed to be fully rebuildable.

I now should probably do some research on these Bilstein B6s. Intriguing.
Bind in the suspension is never a good thing. If you want to tailor things more towards road performance then you want to increase the suspension roll rate. Sway bars are the way to change roll rate without getting too high on the spring rate. Having a sway bar disconnect really aids a dual use suspension.

The earlier, pre-air-suspension, Land Rover shocks are longer (3" extended and 1.5" compressed) and would be able to accommodate a modest lift.

Last edited:
I don't drive my '78 regularly, but Friday I did get the Bilstein 24022156 dampers (B6 4600 series mono-tube to fit the rear of a 1998 Range Rover) mounted up after getting the top bushing sleeve pressed out. The initial drive through the neighborhood, which includes several traffic-calming sped bumps, was positive. If I could find the longer shocks in stock somewhere for the earlier Range Rover I'd try those on the front. The rear suspension is still soft to the point of lightly contacting the bump stops so I may be due for new coils. If anyone has a measurement of the distance to their bump stops I could use that info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom