70 Series HZJ Manual Vrs Automatic Trans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hzj73 manual trans on 285x16 wheels, 16mpg. If i drive like a grandma 17mpg. The 73 is a lot lighter with FRP top and only 2 door, so it moves decently on highway, 100 - 120 kmh is doable, not sure about automatic. Im in midwest so I always try to use the backroad/farm road if i can to avoid highways. when im in a rush to go somewhere, i have a 4runner to do that.

I avid the local highways about 95% of the time and take the long backroads however, my reason to get the 70 is so I can drive to souther CA and explore Death Valley and other such places.
Are you selling your 80? Curious why you wouldn't just take your 80 on those trips to DV and SoCal. Longer wheelbase, coil springs and you can sleep inside of it.

Are you selling your 80? Curious why you wouldn't just take your 80 on those trips to DV and SoCal. Longer wheelbase, coil springs and you can sleep inside of it.
Excellent question that I'm constantly mulling over in my head like an endless game of PONG. Here is the breakdown on the 80... opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated
  1. It has 348,000 with dealer records of head gasket @260,000. I did; the full tune up, PHH, oil pump seal, new Balancer, crank seal, water pump, radiator, thermostat and hoses.... then find out I have an oil leak in my timing chain cover 🫠 (not a huge leak but I have a fancy paver driveway, and a wife who likes things to stay fancy). Love the truck, it has a soul and we bonded... :) Bought it for a good price from a neighbor who moved out of state. she bought it new from Capital Toyota. Soccer mom SUV that was loved but not necessarily cared for.
  2. Rear axle seal and rear brakes need replaced, As previously mentioned my driveway is a new fancy paver kind and on a hillside, currently no room or time to work on the 80. I have all the parts for the job. I cant find a mechanic in the Bay Are that I trust, (I know one but I don't have his number and I know he doesn't like working on 80s, he's a really short guy with a big attitude lol :rofl:) Can you recommend one? I live in MGH. I already have all the Genuine Toyota Parts. None of the local shops I know will do the job unless they supply the parts.
  3. I want to sell my current daily driver commuter car and have one vehicle a 4x4 Toyota (my commute is 2 miles currently)
  4. 1zfe is a great motor but 10mpgs, which makes my range about 200 miles between fill ups. Slow climbing on the highways, Perhaps if I could find a master Toyota mechanic they could improve my 1zfe performance and MPGs, could install a longrange tank if i can smuggle it into CA territory :rofl:
  5. I could get the engine rebuilt for around 6k from a shop in Modesto
  6. I would LS swap in a heartbeat but @ a 8-12 month lead-time and 25-30k price tag its hard to pull the trigger on that one, Although I feel this is best option. (I don't have the room or the Wife for that kind of DIY Job :censor:)
  7. Front seats, need replaced or recovered, not surprising since it a 1997 US spec FZJ80 with 348,000 miles $$$ (minor issue)

Excellent question that I'm constantly mulling over in my head like an endless game of PONG. Here is the breakdown on the 80... opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated
  1. It has 348,000 with dealer records of head gasket @260,000. I did; the full tune up, PHH, oil pump seal, new Balancer, crank seal, water pump, radiator, thermostat and hoses.... then find out I have an oil leak in my timing chain cover 🫠 (not a huge leak but I have a fancy paver driveway, and a wife who likes things to stay fancy). Love the truck, it has a soul and we bonded... :) Bought it for a good price from a neighbor who moved out of state. she bought it new from Capital Toyota. Soccer mom SUV that was loved but not necessarily cared for.
  2. Rear axle seal and rear brakes need replaced, As previously mentioned my driveway is a new fancy paver kind and on a hillside, currently no room or time to work on the 80. I have all the parts for the job. I cant find a mechanic in the Bay Are that I trust, (I know one but I don't have his number and I know he doesn't like working on 80s, he's a really short guy with a big attitude lol :rofl:) Can you recommend one? I live in MGH. I already have all the Genuine Toyota Parts. None of the local shops I know will do the job unless they supply the parts.
  3. I want to sell my current daily driver commuter car and have one vehicle a 4x4 Toyota (my commute is 2 miles currently)
  4. 1zfe is a great motor but 10mpgs, which makes my range about 200 miles between fill ups. Slow climbing on the highways, Perhaps if I could find a master Toyota mechanic they could improve my 1zfe performance and MPGs, could install a longrange tank if i can smuggle it into CA territory :rofl:
  6. I would LS swap in a heartbeat but @ a 8-12 month lead-time and 25-30k price tag its hard to pull the trigger on that one, Although I feel this is best option. (I don't have the room or the Wife for that kind of DIY Job :censor:)
  7. Front seats, need replaced or recovered, not surprising since it a 1997 US spec FZJ80 with 348,000 miles $$$ (minor issue)
Don't be fooled thinking you are going to buy a 25+ year old 70 without any mechanical or cosmetic issues. You will have the exact same problem regarding space and/or a shop to work on it.

Don't be fooled thinking you are going to buy a 25+ year old 70 without any mechanical or cosmetic issues. You will have the exact same problem regarding space and/or a shop to work on it.
Very true but 80,000 vr 350,000 miles is my logic

My $.02 is that you're going to have that long of a list -- most likely a lot longer -- if you get into ANY sort of a 70 series rig. These trucks are AMAZING and live up to their reputation but they're also old and typically in need of overdue maintenance. For example, I have a 2000 4Runner V6 5MT that's well built for off-road touring etc., and well maintained with low miles as my DD while I continue to work all the bugs out of my Troopy and get it where it's a solid DD candidate. I've had the Troopy for going on 2.5 years and in that time I've spent countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars going through just the drivetrain/mechanicals. Haven't even gotten started on the aesthetic elements yet. My goal is to get rid of the 4Runner eventually but I don't see that happening for at least another year or two based on the restoration timeline of the Troopy. Granted, I've got a lot of other projects going on and I'm paying for some of the work on the Troopy and doing some myself which makes for slower going. My vote would be if you're committed to getting a 70, I would first make a push to get your 80 where you need it to be as a rock solid DD or flick it and get a more reliable DD to tide you over while you work through the 70 project. It is possible you could track down a super clean 70 in need of minimal maintenance but that's not something you can really count on. Life's too short to drive boring vehicles so my vote is to go for it ... just good to know what you're realistically signing up for! :eek:)

My $.02 is that you're going to have that long of a list -- most likely a lot longer -- if you get into ANY sort of a 70 series rig. These trucks are AMAZING and live up to their reputation but they're also old and typically in need of overdue maintenance. For example, I have a 2000 4Runner V6 5MT that's well built for off-road touring etc., and well maintained with low miles as my DD while I continue to work all the bugs out of my Troopy and get it where it's a solid DD candidate. I've had the Troopy for going on 2.5 years and in that time I've spent countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars going through just the drivetrain/mechanicals. Haven't even gotten started on the aesthetic elements yet. My goal is to get rid of the 4Runner eventually but I don't see that happening for at least another year or two based on the restoration timeline of the Troopy. Granted, I've got a lot of other projects going on and I'm paying for some of the work on the Troopy and doing some myself which makes for slower going. My vote would be if you're committed to getting a 70, I would first make a push to get your 80 where you need it to be as a rock solid DD or flick it and get a more reliable DD to tide you over while you work through the 70 project. It is possible you could track down a super clean 70 in need of minimal maintenance but that's not something you can really count on. Life's too short to drive boring vehicles so my vote is to go for it ... just good to know what you're realistically signing up for! :eek:)
Thanks
Yes life is too short for Boring Vehicles !!

My other option is going the 100series route and keeping the 80 and enjoying them both

An excellent policy to have (which I subscribe to) is I have a little VW TDI as a second vehicle. I paid $2000 for it and I have already put over 100,000kms on it instead of my land cruiser. It is also a life saver in the event that I need to order a part that I do not have in stock at home (I stock all regular maintenance stuff, brakes, timing belt/water pump, air/oil/fuel filters, belts, alternator, starter, etc)

This way I am not stranded while I do modifications, updates, upgrades and maintenance.

An excellent policy to have (which I subscribe to) is I have a little VW TDI as a second vehicle. I paid $2000 for it and I have already put over 100,000kms on it instead of my land cruiser. It is also a life saver in the event that I need to order a part that I do not have in stock at home (I stock all regular maintenance stuff, brakes, timing belt/water pump, air/oil/fuel filters, belts, alternator, starter, etc)

This way I am not stranded while I do modifications, updates, upgrades and maintenance.
lol I have the exact same setup. 2001 TDI and a 1992 HZJ77. Perfect tag team duo.

@orangefj45 has Valley Hybrids in Stockton CA, does fantastic work on all cruisers. Active on here and huge part of the cruiser community.

Like others have said, any older cruiser is going to require maintenance. Especially if neglected.

Pretty much every solid axle cruiser will need an axle rebuild front/rear than throw brakes as well. The tranny auto/stick are all really reliable. That leaves tcase which is basically bearing/seals if leaking or high mileage.

The engine shape will be depending on how it treated. You could have a 2003 100 series be a total disaster and that hzj77 be mint under the hood. My bj74 with 500,000kms looked cleaner and was in better shape than quite a few 80s/100s I looked at.

The 1HZ is stupid simple. Worst issues usually are rebuilding injectors and injector pump. $$$. IF they need it. Other than that, if it’s original and has had timing belt done you could just be chasing leaks if there are any.

Again, it’s not new and you will have work to do, but it’s not like anything 20 years old is immune to that.

For me it’s down to do you want a 70 series or not? And with that comes the slow, non-cushy ride, vague steering and OK brakes. It’s a field serviceable vehicle designed for a long life and harsh treatment in harsh environments. Heater is decent, a/c well, loud, creature comfort less and not 1 damn cup holder. I absolutely love mine and daily it. Not as much in the winter when they drop the ice melt (mainly due to awful snow drivers) but I’m looking forward to taking it out in the blizzard tosay.

@Rigster i agree on the commuter. I always recommend that when anyone says I’m going to be an older 1 cruiser family. I’ve got a 1998 TDI jetta. 45mpg avg and it cost me $1,200. Insurance is $14.67 a month.

Ps: get ready for: do you deliver mail? questions if you get a RHD. Like every day. EVERY D@MN DAY!
Does it look like I deliver mail Barbara???!!! Do you see mail in my truck Steve!? Well Kevin I’m about to deliver you an a$$ whoopin!

Maybe every other day…just plan to be social in a 70 series….

“I haven’t seen one of these in a long time!”
(Me trying to stay calm knowing what’s coming) “I used to love those Joe Isuzu commercials!”

That’s it Bob, it’s go time!!!

16B7AE20-8FFB-4C5D-B5E5-FDE1A8847182.gif

@orangefj45 has Valley Hybrids in Stockton CA, does fantastic work on all cruisers. Active on here and huge part of the cruiser community.

Like others have said, any older cruiser is going to require maintenance. Especially if neglected.

Pretty much every solid axle cruiser will need an axle rebuild front/rear than throw brakes as well. The tranny auto/stick are all really reliable. That leaves tcase which is basically bearing/seals if leaking or high mileage.

The engine shape will be depending on how it treated. You could have a 2003 100 series be a total disaster and that hzj77 be mint under the hood. My bj74 with 500,000kms looked cleaner and was in better shape than quite a few 80s/100s I looked at.

The 1HZ is stupid simple. Worst issues usually are rebuilding injectors and injector pump. $$$. IF they need it. Other than that, if it’s original and has had timing belt done you could just be chasing leaks if there are any.

Again, it’s not new and you will have work to do, but it’s not like anything 20 years old is immune to that.

For me it’s down to do you want a 70 series or not? And with that comes the slow, non-cushy ride, vague steering and OK brakes. It’s a field serviceable vehicle designed for a long life and harsh treatment in harsh environments. Heater is decent, a/c well, loud, creature comfort less and not 1 damn cup holder. I absolutely love mine and daily it. Not as much in the winter when they drop the ice melt (mainly due to awful snow drivers) but I’m looking forward to taking it out in the blizzard tosay.

@Rigster i agree on the commuter. I always recommend that when anyone says I’m going to be an older 1 cruiser family. I’ve got a 1998 TDI jetta. 45mpg avg and it cost me $1,200. Insurance is $14.67 a month.

Ps: get ready for: do you deliver mail? questions if you get a RHD. Like every day. EVERY D@MN DAY!
Does it look like I deliver mail Barbara???!!! Do you see mail in my truck Steve!? Well Kevin I’m about to deliver you an a$$ whoopin!

Maybe every other day…just plan to be social in a 70 series….

“I haven’t seen one of these in a long time!”
(Me trying to stay calm knowing what’s coming) “I used to love those Joe Isuzu commercials!”

That’s it Bob, it’s go time!!!

View attachment 3222956
Thank you for the great info/Food for thought,. I know my fzj80 does have a kicking AC and Ball sweating heater! 😂
I don’t need cup holders I’ve been Toyota guy for many years I’m used to the punishment
82 puck-up/sold
87 4runner/sold
2017 Tacoma /sold
97 fj80

Hello,

Just a couple things to add.

The 1HZ engine is reliable and easy to repair with limited tools. However, it may not be powerful enough for doing/sustaining 110 km/h on the highway.

1HZ fuel economy is decent but with current diesel prices it may end up being as costly as a gasoline/petrol engine.

Make sure your 25+ years old 70 Series can be legally registered in California. I understand they are cracking up on older diesel trucks. Better safe than sorry.

Avoid any lipstick-on-a-pig truck like the plague. Sadly, these are becoming quite common. They either need a lot of work (and money) or they cannot be legally registered in your neck of the woods.

You may need to do a lot of maintenance: seals, bearings, suspension and whatnot. Remember, most 70 Series live hard lives before reaching the US market.

Last but not least, I would keep the 80. A second car always comes in handy when owning a 70 Series.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom