70 Series - ground point locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATL Cruiser

GOLD Star
Threads
Trying to compile a list of ground points on the 1HZ 70 Series. So far I have:

ENGINE COMPARTMENT
  • Battery to frame (behind the front battery)
  • Battery to engine (near the p/s pump)
  • Transmission to frame (near the starter)
  • Engine to frame - ??? does this exist ???
  • Front right near air box - ring terminal
INTERIOR
  • Front - above fuse box in front right footwell, two ring terminals
  • Front - above module cluster in front left footwell, two ring terminals
  • Back - behind back left tail lamp / tool set
  • Back - inside back left door

Any additions to this would be much appreciated. I have not come across a compiled list anywhere.

Last edited:
I have original diagrams of all the wiring plug, connector, loom and ground point locations in the JDM spec HZJ, PZJ and LJ 70-series. Unfortunately I have only gotten about halfway through translating them from Japanese and formatting them. I'll try to spend a couple of evenings on it this week and see if I can get it finished up.

Hello,

From the manual:
  1. Left front fender.
  2. Right front fender.
  3. Engine block.
  4. Left cowl side.
  5. Right cowl side.
  6. Back door inner panel.
  7. Crossmember frame, close to the transmission.
Fender ground points are usually close to the battery.

Some 70 series have a ground point in the dash, to the left of the steering column.

Hope this helps.

Juan

I have original diagrams of all the wiring plug, connector, loom and ground point locations in the JDM spec HZJ, PZJ and LJ 70-series. Unfortunately I have only gotten about halfway through translating them from Japanese and formatting them. I'll try to spend a couple of evenings on it this week and see if I can get it finished up.
Amazing, thank you, @AirheadNut . Those diagrams would help immensely.

@JuanJ thank you. Several questions from your list:
  1. Left front fender - behind battery, connecting battery to frame
  2. Right front fender - behind airbox, from wiring harness
  3. Engine block - I'm missing this one. Any details would be helpful
  4. Left cowl side - are you referring to the interior footwell grounds?
  5. Right cowl side - are you referring to the interior footwell grounds?
  6. Back door inner panel - yes
  7. Crossmember frame, close to the transmission - near the starter to the frame
Some 70 series have a ground point in the dash, to the left of the steering column. - I'm looking for this one. Does it require instrument cluster removal?

Hello,

The engine block ground points that I have seen are usually on the right side of the block, near to the firewall. There is a bolt with cable coming from the wiring loom.

By cowl, the manual means the inside of the fender in the engine bay. There is a captive nut on each side to bolt a ground point. This nut is usually close to the front shock absorber tower. My mistake, I should have written fender.

The steering column grounding point does not require cluster removal. There is one 17 mm (if I remember correctly) nut on the left of the steering column. There is another nut, of the same size, in the panel, some 100 mm (4 in.) to the left. There should be a wire between both.

I forgot another grounding point, above the transfer, in the body.

Juan

Other model EWDs I've looked at have a ground point diagram
You are completely right. I'm not sure how I skipped this in the EWD. Digging into it all now.

Thank you @mudgudgeon @JuanJ and @AirheadNut

1689594255770.png

1689594281607.png

Confirmed there is a second hidden ground on the front left footwell near all the modules. It requires HVAC box removal. Lots of work. But worth it.

All the grounds in the front look like this. Completely relying on the bolt threads for ground. I removed the paint, re-tapped the threads, cleaned up the ringlet, and replaced the rusty bolts.

1689621045940.png

Now that the interior is complete, I'm moving on to the engine. That's where it gets tricky. @mudgudgeon it's strange ... the EWD shows the little grounds, but the big, uber, mega wire grounds are nowhere to be found.
  • Battery - positive / negative connections
  • Frame strap
  • Engine strap
  • Transmission strap
Maybe those are in the engine FSM. Hrmmmmmm

Hello,

Some pictures to complement the manual.

This is an engine grounding point.

2023_3_3730.jpg

This is the left fender/cowl grounding point, in the engine bay. This is the left fender of an LHD truck. There is another point, just like this one, on the right fender.

2023_2_3704.jpg

And this is the steering column grounding point. It is the red cable. I mentioned two nuts. Actually, it is one bolt in the column (bottom of the picture) and one nut in the panel (on top in the picture.) The camera had a hard time trying to focus on this one.

2023_1_3620.jpg

Incidentally, I just noticed that most grounding points are in the body.

Juan

Now that the interior is complete, I'm moving on to the engine. That's where it gets tricky. @mudgudgeon it's strange ... the EWD shows the little grounds, but the big, uber, mega wire grounds are nowhere to be found.
  • Battery - positive / negative connections
  • Frame strap
  • Engine strap
  • Transmission strap
Maybe those are in the engine FSM. Hrmmmmmm

Hello,

Battery negative bolts on a captive nut on the upper fender. There is one on each side, left and right.

The transmission strap bolts on to the body on a captive nut close to the transfer lever.

Juan

it won't hurt to also do the Big 3 upgrade

This upgrade replaces or augments three key cables in the electrical system with 1/0 or 4 gauge wires: the battery ground to chassis wire, the chassis to engine block wire, and the alternator plus to battery plus wire.

as electricity will always take the path of least resistance.

Some pictures to complement the manual.

@JuanJ - Thank you for these pictures. My truck has exactly zero of these grounds. Looks like I'll be adding a few this week.

it won't hurt to also do the Big 3 upgrade
@veiloctane - agreed. I kicked off an order for those cables yesterday. The truck currently has the trash parts store clamps. I'm fabricating all new cables next week.

Would anyone have a photo of the Engine ground position to the battery?

Yes, here you go:

Battery top side connection. Yours will not have the intercooler pipe there.
1689776978278.png

The wire goes straight down and connects to the 1HZ engine block between the LH side motor mount and the P/S pump.
(please ignore my horribly routed turbo oil feed line)

1689777053658.png

Would any of you guy have a healthy fusible link picture with the connector plug associated to it and the ring branchement ?

Thanks I just realized that the fusible is missing a plugs and I don’t know whereabouts I need to get into
IMG_1287.jpeg

Interesting read, never really looked for mine just happened across them from time to time and added a few Motor to Body straps trying to remove RF Noise while driving on my HF Radio gear, ended adding ferrite chokes to the lines going to the fuel pump and this remove almost all of the ticking sounds.
Not sure why you are trying to locate them all but assume you have been having electrical problems and simply trying to remove any possible causes.
Not sure on the LHD or other models but my 2005 HDJ78R also has a ground on the RH Side behind the drivers seat behind the side panels and another where the rear windscreen washer pump/module and tank is.. plus there are ground points inside both rear doors for the rear washer and other wiring on the LH door.
I also added some straps on both front doors as mine originally had zero wiring to them but I have added, electric Windows, electric Mirrors, Central locking and door speakers so just a few mods :)
I am both a Radio Ham and Licensed Electrician and love tinkering with all things so the list of added items is very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom