70 series e brake assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having problems with my e-brake (85 BJ70, 280k kms), it does not release. when I pull it, it holds the truck well, but when I let the in-cab lever go, it does not release. If I go under the truck and yank on the cable, it releases right away (very unpractical).
so far I have taken it apart, and greased it ( a few weeks ago). did not really help.
Then, I have taken it apart yesterday, and lubricated it with the powdery graphite stuff, did not help either.

This is becoming a serious problem-I was out on some beautiful trails with tlcruiserman yesterday, and it would have been nice to have an e brake in some situations, where I got stuck.

Is this a common problem? the assembly is not rusted to shreds at all, but something binds.
Would it help to put new springs into the rear drums? is it possible to purchase a new e-brake assembly?

thanks for the help,
Jan

lowenbrau said:
The cable assembly is complete, from the handle to the bell cranks. It is available from the dealer but is not cheap. I think I paid about $140 Canadian a while a go for a BJ42 one.

I'd be glad to pay 140CA$ for the assembly. Do you by any chance have a part number?
thanks
J

Are you sure it's not binding where the lever goes into the drum. That's usually where most rusty 6x cruisers ebrake's bind up. I had the same issue with mine and I cleaned out the drums of dust and lubed up the pivot points (levers) and it's been working well since then.

i was just about to suggest the towers as well, they seize up and can be a bear to work. if you take them off it takes aobut 10 min per side to loosen them back up, good for a number of years again...
cheers

crushers said:
i was just about to suggest the towers as well, they seize up and can be a bear to work. if you take them off it takes aobut 10 min per side to loosen them back up, good for a number of years again...
cheers

I had the stuff apart, and there did not seem to be any binding there, but I'll check again.
thanks
Jan

actually, from my part number files it looks like the assembly is the same on the 70 and 60 series of that year, so I will probably get it locally.
thanks
J

It doesn't seem possible. I'm sure that 60 series cable is going to have to be longer. The brake handle is similar in relation to the driver and the axle is at least 12" further back. Now a 75 and a 60 I could see being the same.

lowenbrau said:
It doesn't seem possible. I'm sure that 60 series cable is going to have to be longer. The brake handle is similar in relation to the driver and the axle is at least 12" further back. Now a 75 and a 60 I could see being the same.

you are right, of course. It just occurred to me how stupid the assumption was that the cable should be the same between a SWB and LWB.
I was looking at the levers and boots, and then assumed all is the same.
I'm off to the dealer asking...
thanks
Jan

just got back from the dealer, and they can get me the assembly (bellcrank, springs, boots, pins) for a great price, so I'll go that way.
thank you for offering to help, lowenbrau!
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom