'70 fj40 engine/tranny swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
want to put 350 in my 1970 fj40, would like to get an older 350 and rebuild it, any suggestions on the cheapest route(im in the navy so dont have much $ of course, and a new baby besides) whats a good year 350, and what tranny to use, (want manual of course) have 4 speed in now, but would like something i can use on freeway and offroad. also any suggestions on how to do this swap would be great. hope i didnt ask too many questions. any ifo would be great. thanks

85 through early 90s truck and van 350 with TBI and serp belt will save you from doing upgrades later. Vortec is even better, but way mo money.

There are block numbers stamped and cast on the block to give you info on what's inside if you want to get the best when picking through junkyard blocks. Mortec.com can give you the numbers and details like high nickle content, head cc, number of main bolts etc. My own humble opinion is a lot of this stuff is wasted in a cruiser motor unless you can get it for the same price as a run of the mill csb. Let the racers pay big money for the best stuff. I have never seen a less than 500 hp chevy come apart in a way that suggested four bolt mains would have helped.

20/20 hindsight tells me I would have probably saved money and a lot of time by just buying a GM crate motor rather than build mine from junkyard parts. If you don't have money for a crate, buy a whole running TBI van, freshen the motor with rings and bearings and you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom