7.3L in FJ40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 70LCruiser, Dec 14, 2003.

1. 70LCruiser

70LCruiser

Im goin to be starting another project soo and its gunna be a 7.3L powerstroke in a 70's FJ40. I know there is a topic in the hardcore corner about this, but the guy isnt doing it yet I guess. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever tryed this or has done it. Also what kind of transfer case and axles should i get. I was thinking using all stock F250 T-Case and axles. Im not doing anything yet im just doin research.

2. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    nv4500, 205 d60 f/r :cheers: doit it would be cool load as hell and cool :cheers:

3. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Do it, that would be one of the sweeter conversions I've ever heard of going into a cruiser. Definently go with the NV4500 tranny (if you were to buy a used one, try to find one out of a Dodge diesel, I've heard these units in particular, are quite stout), an Atlas t-case, Dana 60's (cheap & easy to find) or 70's or Mog axles would be pretty cool. Keep us posted if you go ahead with this project.

4. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Who sells an adapter for the 7.3 PS? It comes with either an auto or the ZF 5 speed, but isn't the transfer divorced, making for a long drive train? Are you running the complete Ford drivetrain with the drivers side drop?

It should be easier to do on a LWB cruiser than a 40, but good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dave

5. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

[quote author=Gus link=board=1;threadid=8772;start=msg75640#msg75640 date=1071440797]
    Do it, that would be one of the sweeter conversions I've ever heard of going into a cruiser. Definently go with the NV4500 tranny (if you were to buy a used one, try to find one out of a Dodge diesel, I've heard these units in particular, are quite stout), an Atlas t-case, Dana 60's (cheap & easy to find) or 70's or Mog axles would be pretty cool. Keep us posted if you go ahead with this project.
    [/quote]

If you get a tranny from a Dodge deisel make SURE it's the NV4500. Not all Dodge deisels had those trannys. I think the switch was around '93 or so. Prior to that was the Getrag and they are supposed to be crap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.