69Yota FJ40 Orange Crush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Based on the info here: Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier
You have a 1975 carb on there. It does not have the provision for the A/C idle up.
Now, I don't know if you can swap bases with a later model carb to get that capability, though I kind of doubt it.
It might be one of those things you do when the time comes to rebuild your carb and you find an FJ60 carb to replace the current one.
Though, based on your setup, that would also require a new fuel pump that recycles the extra fuel back to the tank at the pump vice at the carb like you currently have.
Stump, thanks for all of that. This carb is already refurb with all new parts, so probably don't see that happening anytime soon. Good to know if/when something happens.

Thanks for the advice on the flanges. I will do some new measurements and then see if I can get the patterns to match better.

I can look look in my drive shaft stash and see what I have next time I go out to the farm. I have to go out and get a spare gas tank and do some prototyping.

I can look look in my drive shaft stash and see what I have next time I go out to the farm. I have to go out and get a spare gas tank and do some prototyping.
@Jakes40 that would be great and much appreciated. I need to measure the holes on the driveshaft side and then see how that matches up to the flange side. To @Stumpalama point, there are a lot of hole options on the flange. The bolts I was using were Grade 8s, but they were definitely smaller than the hole.

@Jakes40 that would be great and much appreciated. I need to measure the holes on the driveshaft side and then see how that matches up to the flange side. To @Stumpalama point, there are a lot of hole options on the flange. The bolts I was using were Grade 8s, but they were definitely smaller than the hole.
Find some true Toyota ds bolts

So it has been a bit since I posted up. I finally got the 40 back from County Transmission two weeks ago, 3+ months. After lots of research and online scrounging, they were able to find the appropriate synchros and swapped them out as well as all new seals. I took it out last weekend and it was really rough changing gears. I went out for a few errands and after my first stop at Target, I couldn't get it out of 2nd gear. Of course, I pulled into a parking space and had to wait until the vehicle in front of me pulled away. After they finally came out, I had to drive home in 2nd which for the SM420 is really 1st gear. Needless to say, it was slow going and I'm sure I pissed off a few fellow Reston neighbors. Long story short, County sent out a flatbed trailer and picked it up this week. They are going to pull it and ship it to Novak Transmissions in Utah and have them figure out what is going on as they seem to be the experts and have all the parts. I'm guessing it will be at least 4 weeks between shipping, work, and shipping back. So hopefully I will have it back by end of April and in time for Wheelin 4 Hope. Still need to address all of the previously mentioned issues with suspension probably being the next big-ticket item. I'm still intrigued to explore a hand throttle for the York compressor. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to provide an update.

damn man that sucks... hopefully it is an easy fix and not too costly!

Ya NOVAC is the SM420/465 experts. My 465 gets stuck in 1st when the drive train gets bound up.

Did they not test drive the truck? Sucks they didn't find the issue before they gave it back to you. Hopefully you didn't have to pay twice for the same work.

Novak definitely appears to be the go-to for these trannys. County tried to work with them for some parts but was unable to get them. County is doing me right with no additional charge, just the time it is down has been rough. Not too bad over the winter and allowed me to pull my DD in the garage, but bikini 40 weather is fast approaching and I will want to have it available. I'm pretty sure they did a test drive and advised it drove like a tractor, which is what is expected from these old rigs. As soon as I called them, they sent out a flatbed tow truck immediately to pick it up. We will get there eventually.

Tranny was pulled, shipped, and has arrived at Novak as of last week. They should be cracking it open this week and advised if all goes well, should have it completed and shipped back in 10 days. Might have it just in time for Wheeling for Hope at the end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom