69 gauge cluster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help with my 1969 fj40 gauage cluster. Gauges do not work, or work sporadically. My goal is to keep the stock gauages. The cluster is a second generation with the fuel gauge on the left next to amp meter. I have the haynes repair manual 68-82. The manual has a good electrical section, but i think its based on the newer generation cluster. From my research these gauges are 7 volts. Is that correct? The power source is 12 volts. Is the step down to 7volts built into the gauge? If so how can i check that? If the step down is broke can i fix that? If i remove the cluster completely can i test the gauges individually with my ohm meter. What should be my readings be. I have replaced fuel and temp sending units. Any help would be great. a better repair manual or literature would be awesome.

Did you read this thread? https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/clusters-gauges-speedo-odo-meters.544543/
The first 8 pages (from the FSM) in posting #7 are for your 2nd gen. cluster.
The OIL pressure sender and the FUEL sender have both a built-in Voltage Regulator. That's why they have the "ball" shape.
If your problem is intermittent, look for bad contacts or a corroded fuse or fuse holder.

HTH

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom