61031 2F head (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey bud,

So I blew a head gasket about a week ago, and the head shop called me yesterday and said that my head was cracked in two different places and those places had previously been repaired and the head was basically toast.

My truck is a 1985. I have a spare head sitting in the garage, and from what I can tell, it should work on my 2F block. The numbers on the casting are 61031.

Can I simply drop off this head at the machine shop and let them do a cleaning, testing, swap over the springs and valve stems from my old head and be done with it?

@Zjohnsonua has some good insight, and he thinks I should be able to run that head, possibly just with a little bit of shaving.

Any other tips?

IMG_2626.jpeg

I meant to say hay mud, but I guess hey bud works as well, lol

Because the dome top pushes further up into the combustion chamber it does make some sense that if you were to shave the dome top head down to compensate for it being a flat top piston that it would work if the shape etc is the same. Is that the theory, @Zjohnsonua ?

Correct. Point here is that it will run, it just won't have as much chooch due to the reduced compression - could get around some of this reduction by bumping timing a few points. I offered this as a get-it-going option as loose 61040 heads are becoming harder to get hands on.

A few years ago @FJ40Jim posted the compression ratio that would occur if you did this and it was pretty dismal. I would just buy the right head.

About 15 years ago I bought a rebuilt 2F from a guy who ran the engine for a few thousand miles then got disgusted and pulled it because he couldn't figure out why it had no power.

It was a late 2F/3F block (flat pistons) with a 61031 head.

:coffee:

@Tennessee80 I'm about to have a spare 61040 head (I believe that's the number, 60 Series 2F) I want to get rid of. I need a week or two to get around to cleaning up this spare motor, putting it on a stand, removing the head, and taking it to be magnafluxed. Not sure how long you can wait.

@Tennessee80 I'm about to have a spare 61040 head (I believe that's the number, 60 Series 2F) I want to get rid of. I need a week or two to get around to cleaning up this spare motor, putting it on a stand, removing the head, and taking it to be magnafluxed. Not sure how long you can wait.
Hey man, thanks, but I may have sourced a local 040 head. Will keep this thread posted...

thanks for all of the responses, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom