60 won't start without... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always had to pump the pedal more than i should to get her to start- but now my 60 will not start without starting fluid. After a shot she starts right up and runs, the idle speed is a little low but she stays running without the choke. I can turn her off and she'll start back up but if I let her sit for a few hours.. same thing.
Is it the carb? TIA. Stock 60 with 201K

Check the sight glass at the front of the carb ...
1608261070064.png

And you can with the choke plate open, look down the venturi and working the throttle linkage by hand at the back of the carb, make sure gas is squirting down into the carb.

x2 on accel pump. A new accel pump plunger can do a world of difference when you are pumping the pedal and trying to get fuel into the intake.

x2 on accel pump. A new accel pump plunger can do a world of difference when you are pumping the pedal and trying to get fuel into the intake.
My cold weather starting woes had a relatively simple fix. After lots of trouble shooting, I figured out that the choke cable was not closing the plate completely when on full choke position. I adjusted the cable at the attachment point at carb, and the issue was fixed. In warmer weather, when the the choke was ~70% closed that was sufficient for starting but not so in cold weather.

Carburetor accelerator pump is worn.
It's a little mechanical piston in a bore filled w gas that forcefully squirts fuel into the carb throat when pushing down on the gas pedal. When it's seal wears out, it doesn't pump the gas too well. It's important at first start up to squirt gas into the dry intake manifold

I’ve said this a million times in these threads; make sure your choke is closing 100%. Not 95% or 97%, 100%. It makes a MASSIVE difference.

And you are priming the carb before attempting to start? Lots of people don’t get this step at all. Once you’ve got it down and understand it, starts are much easier.

Check the sight glass at the front of the carb ...
View attachment 2527944

And you can with the choke plate open, look down the venturi and working the throttle linkage by hand at the back of the carb, make sure gas is squirting down into the carb.
Bulb is little lower than half full of gas and it's pumping gas down the carb..

My cold weather starting woes had a relatively simple fix. After lots of trouble shooting, I figured out that the choke cable was not closing the plate completely when on full choke position. I adjusted the cable at the attachment point at carb, and the issue was fixed. In warmer weather, when the the choke was ~70% closed that was sufficient for starting but not so in cold weather.

Checking the plate next- thanks

Carburetor accelerator pump is worn.
It's a little mechanical piston in a bore filled w gas that forcefully squirts fuel into the carb throat when pushing down on the gas pedal. When it's seal wears out, it doesn't pump the gas too well. It's important at first start up to squirt gas into the dry intake manifold

If it's not the choke plate, I bet this is the culprit- i've always had to pump the gas more than I should when starting this cruiser..

priming the carb?
No clutch, no gas pedal. Turn key to engage starter 5-6 times. Get out and check carb sight glass for fuel. Once it’s halfway in the glass THEN start truck. If temps are cold, be sure to use choke.

@NeverGiveUpYota beat me to it... but:

priming the carb?

without touching the throttle, turn the key and let the engine turn over a few times. This will pump fuel in to the carb bowl from the fuel pump.

then pump the accel pedal a few times to squirt fuel from the accel pump into the bowl, close the choke to your desired level and then light it off.. away ya go.

if you have an FJ62, disregard all, and bummer. (we all know real Cruisers have 4 speed manual transmissions and round headlights anyway:p)

Just my opinion but...

If you have to crank your motor 5 or 6 times to get gas in the carb bowl you may have a bowl leak or evaporating fuel and you should fix it. Or you just finished rebuilding your carb and are initially filling the bowl. Cranking a motor dry this many times each time you start has some negatives including declined battery life, starter life and wear on piston rings and cylinder walls. There is always less lubrication on start up.

Worn accelerator pump is prob your best guess at this point. Esp since you mentioned that you usually have to pump the pedal many times. The plungers wear out and crack.

I pump the accelerator pedal 2x pull the choke all the way out...do this in either order, Then turn the key. This gets me running 1st or 2nd try. This only 1st time of the day, after that, it's turn the key or one pump of the pedal and turn the key.

Best thread I was able to find regarding my issues:

1984 FJ60 with rebuilt carb about 6 months ago. Was driving down the interstate when I experienced either loss of fuel or loss of spark. Engine turns over, no issues there, but won't start. In the dark, with a flashlight, I do not see fuel in the site glass, but can see fuel in new oem fuel filter. I haven't tried starting fluid to eliminate spark/no spark. Had to leave it stranded while I go for starter fluid.

Does the accelerator pump usually get replaced or addressed when the carb is rebuilt?

yes, a new pump plunger usually comes in the rebuild kit. If this is a problem that just happened then make usre th elinkage is connected properly. there is a see-saw type linkage where one end is pushed up by the throttle opening and the other end pushes the accelerator plunger down.

It's hard to see fuel level especially in the dark, I think. you can take the cover off the air cleaner and operate the throttle by hand. If you have fuel AND the accelerator pump is working you should see fuel shoot into the primary bore.

If your truck stopped running and won't restart then it is unlikely due to the accelerator pump. The carburetor doesn't need priming when the engine is hot--only when it is cold. Check for spark.

1666617072192.png

Engine catches with starter fluid. No gas coming out of fuel line at carburetor. Fuel filter has fuel. I'm guessing that means the fuel pump isn't working. Going to search how to be sure and what to do if it is the fuel filter.

you disconnected the hard line going to the carburetor, or are you looking in the sight glass on the carburetor bowl? If the latter, your float could be stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom