60 series roof repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a huge job. What you see is most likely the tip of the iceberg - the real rust issue is between the gutter rail and the box section on top of the side members, and fixing the roof skin in patches from outside is tnot going to help that. Have a careful look all round under the gutter / drip rail and if you see rust coming up alongside the seam sealer... you are in for a lot of work.

If you have that degree of rust, in my opinion there is only one way to do it properly (my picture). I had two small holes in the roof skin along the left-hand gutter, but also two rot holes under the gutter. above the rear left quarter window.

View attachment 3143275

EO
This looks like a proper way to repair the roof. But if you didn't have a rotisserie could you just pull the headliner and the roof insulation and cut the roof skin off? Did you have to drill out spot welds in the center area? Along the front edge under the windshield gasket? Would you still have to remove the rest of the interior or maybe just cover it with some sort of fireproof tarp? Looks like the windshield and gasket has to come out too.

This looks like a proper way to repair the roof. But if you didn't have a rotisserie could you just pull the headliner and the roof insulation and cut the roof skin off? Did you have to drill out spot welds in the center area? Along the front edge under the windshield gasket? Would you still have to remove the rest of the interior or maybe just cover it with some sort of fireproof tarp? Looks like the windshield and gasket has to come out too.

There are spot welds along all the edges including the join behind the windscreen, but in the middle it is only stuck on with sealer. The A pillars are silicon brass braised where they meet the roof - I used a tiny dremel cutting disc and ground the brass out.

I don't think a rotisserie is essential for the roof job (I made it for doing floor / rear quarter repairs), just a step ladder would do.

If you cut any of the roof, you will end up welding a long seam in what I think is 0.7 mm steel. I would not really want to attempt that job.

Taking the windscreen and weatherstrip off is not a big job (buy a new weatherstrip first, then cut the old one out) - you can easily do this single handed with a bit of patience. Regardless, the windscreen and rear quarter windows need to come out to take the roof lining out non-destructively.

Let me know if you need more info,

EO

Hi, Find a antique Ford or Chevy club and get help. These guys repair far worse. I met with Antique Chevy club members in Arkansas this past weekend.Amazing what they have done to their old Chevies.

There are spot welds along all the edges including the join behind the windscreen, but in the middle it is only stuck on with sealer. The A pillars are silicon brass braised where they meet the roof - I used a tiny dremel cutting disc and ground the brass out.

I don't think a rotisserie is essential for the roof job (I made it for doing floor / rear quarter repairs), just a step ladder would do.

If you cut any of the roof, you will end up welding a long seam in what I think is 0.7 mm steel. I would not really want to attempt that job.

Taking the windscreen and weatherstrip off is not a big job (buy a new weatherstrip first, then cut the old one out) - you can easily do this single handed with a bit of patience. Regardless, the windscreen and rear quarter windows need to come out to take the roof lining out non-destructively.

Let me know if you need more info,

EO
Do you think Toyota braised the roof at the pillars because it was too thin to weld? Did you braise it back together? Weld? How did that go?

Do you think Toyota braised the roof at the pillars because it was too thin to weld? Did you braise it back together? Weld? How did that go?

The brass braising works as a filler as well as physically attaching the panels, so it can be flatted to a nice smooth finish. A spot weld in steel would show dimples. Nothing to do with metal thickness.

My roof is still off (picture was only taken a few days ago), I plan to either plug or seam weld it on and cover the area with regular body filler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom