'60 axle under a '55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'm looking to use a split case transfer on my FJ55 but I still need an e-brake and I don't want to spend $450 at SOR if I don't need to (I'd figure something else out if it came to that).
Will a '60 rear fit in place of a '55 rear?

The fj60 (I assume you meant fj60) axle will be wider than the 55 axle, about 3" IIRC. You will have to tweak with things a little bit, but nothing too bad. I plan to use fj60 axles under my pig when it gets its springover.

Also, the 55 will have 4.11's and the 60 rear end will have 3.70's, so you would have to change that. You could put the 3rd member from the 55 in the 60, but you would have to change the pinion flange to a course spline pinion flange with the correct fj60 driveshaft bolt pattern if you use the driveshaft off the 60 too.

for a park brake, you could use a "MICO" brake lock. it's an electric selenoid type valve put in line, that when switched on holds brake pressure in the line.

I put a 60 rear on the back of my 55. It was a simple as grinding off the old spring perches and welding on new ones at the right location. Also, if you want to keep the anti-sway bar you will probably need to weld mounts on the 60 axle for that.

It is two inches wider, which I think is a good thing. But that means you will probably want to do something with the front as well. Spacers might get you there, but it is probably better to put a matching 60 front on. It is alot more complicated to put a front 60 axle on a 55. The 60 pumpkin on the front is right where you would want to put the spring hangers. To solve this problem, my PO built extended spring hangers out from the frame a bit. You can see some pictures that show these spring hangers my PO did here:

http://home.netcom.com/~j_pitts/id1.html

The other issue is that the 60 emergency brake takes more force to engage. I didn't try it, but I was told that the stock 55 emergency brake handle did not have the torque to properly set the 60 emergency brake. So I bought a used 60 cable and handle, thinking I cut a whole in the 55's tranny hump and install it like is done in a 60-- but I haven't got that far to try it yet.

Jared

Jared,
I like the work the PO of your truck did, too bad he did it on the wrong truck :p. I'm not sure that will work in my case though as I need to pass a safety inspection when I'm done the restoration (truck is currently registered in North Dakota and I'm in B.C., Canada) and I'm not sure how the "Safety Nazi's" would look at modified spring mounts. I don't really want to mess with the front axle as it is already a disk brake axle. Maybe shortening the '60 axle works (but then I'd have custom axle shafts).
I may have to bite it and pay the BIG $$$ for the correct deisel tranny and mantain the transfer e-brake.
The tranny was produced for '78 thru '80 BJ40's up here in Canada and is out there. It's just that used 'Cruiser parts here in Canada seem to be gold plated!
Definitely needs more thought. :cheers:

[quote author=3_puppies link=board=1;threadid=8062;start=msg68272#msg68272 date=1069868163]
for a park brake, you could use a "MICO" brake lock. it's an electric selenoid type valve put in line, that when switched on holds brake pressure in the line.
[/quote]

don't do that with drums. if they are too hot when you park, and lock them up, you may crack them when they cool off (retract) against the shoes. the mechanical park system allows for a bit of flexibility there, where line locks don't...

What about putting the 60 series backing plates/shoes ect on the FJ44/FJ40 axles? then you don't have to worry about it. Just thought of this as i was reading this and i am at my apartement and not the shop so i can't check.

Stew

Stew,
That's what I'd like best to do but I don't think that works. If you find out differently PLEASE let me know :beer:! As it's brakes I'd like for stuff to be bolt on rather than butchered on. This truck will also need to pass a stringent safety inspection upon completion of the restoration so brakes will be examined closely and done without obvious modifications otherwise the "Safety Nazi's" will say :ban:.

One more option-- I thought that one of the rear disc brake conversions that were commerically available could use calipers that had an emergency brake built in.

As I recall, it was TSM-- or some company like that, and their conversion could use either generic chevy calipers without e-brakes, or a caddy caliper that came with a seperate e-brake.

The conversion was a couple of hundred bucks, but then you would have the advantage of rear disc brakes.

Jared

I'll look further into the rear disk conversion. Maybe even go scrounging at the wreckers for e-brake equipped calipers.

cadilac eldorado calipers mount identically to monte carlo calipers, but include the e-brake cable. From what I've heard, they are not the best for locking things tight, but do work better than nothing...

Woody,
How much slippage is there? Here where we live there is some steep (8%+) hills that we park on. From the e-brake aspect alone, is the t-case e-brake or the disk e-brake more secure?

Also, I'm not sure how the safety inspection will check the e-brake. I don't know if there will be a skid pad or what? Here not every vehicle needs to go through the safety inspection, just the vehicles coming from out of province/state (the '55 is registered in North Dakota so it'll be required to be inspected prior to licencing in B.C).

I went scrounging today at the local wreckers and found rear calipers from an '85 Toronado ($70 Canadian/pair). Do they work as described in the rear disk conversions or do I need to reinvent a mounting bracket? :-\ If they don't work what year Eldorado calipers am I looking for (the tech articles only talk to the Monte Carlo non-ebrake calipers)? ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom