Builds 6.0 Vortec LQ9 - FJ60 Engine Swap - Old Blue's Heart Transplant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The next couple weeks will be waiting for parts to start arriving. Pretty much just ordering the parts I need to get the motor mounted and sitting right in the truck. This includes:

Advanced Adapter Transfer Case Adapter
Motor Mounts
Exhaust Manifolds
Oil Pan
Lokar Shifter
Transfer Case Rebuild Kit
Wiring Harness
:hmm:

Regarding your choice on wiring harness - I assume that you’re not subject to smog testing in Nevada? If that’s the case, things are pretty simple. If you’re in a state like California that’s pretty strict, you need to be careful on what you’re getting. In my case I used Pacific Fabrication. They do an outstanding job as far as quality. However, to get it certified in California, I had to request a couple of modifications after the original harness was delivered. I needed to add the fuel level sender wiring, and the PRNDL switch wiring. While you’re at it, be sure your’re wired for Cruise Control. But again, the quality of the workmanship from Pacific Fabrication was outstanding. They were also very responsive to my questions and very willing to work with me to get things worked out. 18 months later, I finally got past the California Referee and am now certified!

Regarding your choice on wiring harness - I assume that you’re not subject to smog testing in Nevada? If that’s the case, things are pretty simple. If you’re in a state like California that’s pretty strict, you need to be careful on what you’re getting. In my case I used Pacific Fabrication. They do an outstanding job as far as quality. However, to get it certified in California, I had to request a couple of modifications after the original harness was delivered. I needed to add the fuel level sender wiring, and the PRNDL switch wiring. While you’re at it, be sure your’re wired for Cruise Control. But again, the quality of the workmanship from Pacific Fabrication was outstanding. They were also very responsive to my questions and very willing to work with me to get things worked out. 18 months later, I finally got past the California Referee and am now certified!

Yeah I am very fortunate to not have to deal with any type of smog requirements in the county I live in - here in Nevada. I have your build bookmarked with numerous others and it sounds like it was quite the ordeal for you. I don't know how it works in California, but one way around smog issues from what I've heard is to register the vehicle as a classic car. Here in Nevada anything over 27 years old (I believe) is eligible and doesn't have to pass smog. I have friends who run this loophole. But once again California is a world of its own when it comes to laws.

For me if you are going to all the trouble and expense of switching to the 5.3 you may as well make it smoggable even if not required where you are right now. Who knows where life will take you (or the truck because lets face it thee trucks will probably outlive many of us) and if you end up having to retro fit stuff that would be a PITA. This conversion has been done enough by people who needed the smog capabilities it should be easy enough to find the right info/parts etc. @orangefj45 isn't far away and is very familiar with the swap and may be able to offer some pointers here in the initial stages to avoid headaches in the future.

Read some of this mans post (last paragraph) and buy yourself some good cruiser Karma!

TONS of information out there about this. Use the 2WD version of the 4L65E if you want to bolt right up with the adapter. The 4WD version can also be used but the output shaft from a 2WD version must be installed to make it work.

Make sure that the motor and trans that you choose are compatible electronically speaking. Not all ECUs will either control the trans or even hook up with the trans correctly. I have no personal experience with the 6.0 but everything I have read about them leads me to believe that they are very sensitive to what transmissions and controllers they will work with.

All this talk about this trans being stronger than that trans is OPINION for the most part. Google the difference between the 4L60E and the 4L65E. The 4L65E comes with the LS3 in one of the Connect and Cruise packages. My guess is that GM is confident that it can handle the horse power and torque.

The bottom line on all of this is that there are facts and there is chatter. Doing your due diligence is the only way you will make it through the process and end up with a good running truck. Adapting the trans to the T-case is just the beginning.

A little advice, think long term. Think about how you lay things out like you are the guy that is buying this truck from you in two years (or whenever). Are they going to be able to figure out what you did? Are they going to be able to figure out what parts they need when things wear out or break down? Document what you are doing as you go. Keep a log of what parts and part numbers you used. I have seen several trucks that were swapped with multiple "hacks" to get systems to work only to be sold off and the new owner has no clue what to do when a system has issues.

Last edited:
For me if you are going to all the trouble and expense of switching to the 5.3 you may as well make it smoggable even if not required where you are right now.
Having a 50 state legal vehicle makes it easier to sell (if you do end up going that route), and umps the value as well......

So this is the gas pedal out of the Cadillac Escalade. I’ve seen other threads swap out gas pedals due to incorrect orientations. If my memory serves correct I believe Monte Carlo pedals work. However, this pedal seems pretty straight like it may work fine. Any thoughts? I dont have the truck at my house so can’t take a look, but suspect it may work (impatiently waiting to inspect it)

AF151CB5-6F8A-451A-BD06-59F2D1B59ED1.jpeg

So this is the gas pedal out of the Cadillac Escalade. I’ve seen other threads swap out gas pedals due to incorrect orientations. If my memory serves correct I believe Monte Carlo pedals work. However, this pedal seems pretty straight like it may work fine. Any thoughts? I dont have the truck at my house so can’t take a look, but suspect it may work (impatiently waiting to inspect it)

It will work with modifications. The pedal is going to have to move to the left. As is, it’s going to hit your transmission tunnel.

I hacked and welded a couple of times and still couldn’t get it right. Here’s a pic of mine. It’s adjustable. I’ve ow got it dialed in so that it’s the correct relation to the brake pedal and it’s the correct angle in relation to my foot so I don’t get fatigued.

3D8D71EF-1F48-4A34-B5FA-5B4DF5F1F721.jpeg

Not pretty but it works!

It will work with modifications. The pedal is going to have to move to the left. As is, it’s going to hit your transmission tunnel.

I hacked and welded a couple of times and still couldn’t get it right. Here’s a pic of mine. It’s adjustable. I’ve ow got it dialed in so that it’s the correct relation to the brake pedal and it’s the correct angle in relation to my foot so I don’t get fatigued.

Thanks for confirming John! I see your motor came out of a 2004 Tahoe. Which is the exact same pedal as the 2004 Escalade. Guess I'll try and see if there are plug and play options before cutting and welding to much. The Monte Carlo pedal I was thinking of was for a Gen IV not a Gen III. I believe the electronics are quite a bit different on each. Whether that has much to do with them being able to interchange pedals between generations I don't know. Have to research a bit more.

Update ...

Did a bit more research. There appear to be 2 different pedals listed for the Monte Carlo.

GM 15831256 -
GM 25830024 - Is the newer version, but I am unsure if it will work with LQ9

Not sure what the differences are. I am assuming something got upgraded or changed between the two.

I read that he monte Carlo Pedal is not compatible with Escalade PCM and TAC. Whether or not this applies to both of them no idea.

2005 Silverado Seems like it may work - requires a cut and weld. Prefer plug and play but beggars can't be choosers.

The search continues ..........

This may seem like a dumb question but here goes. (I'm a newbie, pride isn't an option) Why can't you just cut the FJ60 Gas Pedal shaft, cut the shaft up high on the escalade pedal and weld the two units together for the correct angle? IF the cut and weld is high enough it won't be visible and it will look like the original. Hack? Probably. But keeps the original look to the vehicle. Thoughts? Or suggestions on pedals that work out of box with LQ9.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming John! I see your motor came out of a 2004 Tahoe. Which is the exact same pedal as the 2004 Escalade. Guess I'll try and see if there are plug and play options before cutting and welding to much. The Monte Carlo pedal I was thinking of was for a Gen IV not a Gen III. I believe the electronics are quite a bit different on each. Whether that has much to do with them being able to interchange pedals between generations I don't know. Have to research a bit more.

Update ...

Did a bit more research. There appear to be 2 different pedals listed for the Monte Carlo.

GM 15831256 -
GM 25830024 - Is the newer version, but I am unsure if it will work with LQ9

Not sure what the differences are. I am assuming something got upgraded or changed between the two.

I read that he monte Carlo Pedal is not compatible with Escalade PCM and TAC. Whether or not this applies to both of them no idea.

2005 Silverado Seems like it may work - requires a cut and weld. Prefer plug and play but beggars can't be choosers.

The search continues ..........

This may seem like a dumb question but here goes. (I'm a newbie, pride isn't an option) Why can't you just cut the FJ60 Gas Pedal shaft, cut the shaft up high on the escalade pedal and weld the two units together for the correct angle? IF the cut and weld is high enough it won't be visible and it will look like the original. Hack? Probably. But keeps the original look to the vehicle. Thoughts? Or suggestions on pedals that work out of box with LQ9.

IIRC, There is no such thing as a Gen III Monte Carlo, so there is no Monte Carlo pedal that is compatible with your engine. I can’t remember the configuration of the original toyota pedal, but I don’t see why your proposal wouldn’t work. I don’t call it a hack. This is no more a hack than anything else you need to do to adapt a GM system into an older Toyota. I seriously doubt you’re going to find a pedal that will work without modification. Dont’ be to concerned about the optics. It’s not really visible anyway. Do what you need to do to get the pedal in the right position and at the right angle for maximum comfort. It’s really important to get it right. You don’t want to weld too close to the the rotating mechanism so that the heat doesn’t damage anything.

I would sift through Stan’s (NCFJ) blogs to see what he’s done. He’s done quite a few Gen III conversions.

When I did my conversion I used the stock pedal melded with the donor pedal assembly:
1B55AB54-CEF2-42C1-960A-322736B052BC.jpeg

It took several tries but I am very happy with the outcome. Good luck!

-Ed

Last edited:
Anyone have some intel on a FSM for a FJ60. Prob gonna need one for the transfer case rebuild. Found a few downloadable pdf manuals but none with transfer case specs, etc. Also tried EBAY for a hard copy, but nothing up for grabs could be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom