529 gears

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cuiser73, Mar 1, 2003.

1. cuiser73

cuiser73

I was out playing in the snow last weekend with the cruiser. It wasnt the first time this year either. I had gone out a couple of times prior and realy rodded the cruiser. Anyway last weekend while breaking trail I was digging pretty hard when it sounded like a shotgun went off. One of the guys I was with said it was a birf. I finaly tore it down today and low and behold 4 teeth were missing from the ring gear. I run stock mini birfs with a lock right now. My question is with the 529 is there a stregnth issue? These gears have been in since August and maybe have 1000 miles. I did the install and the pattern looks pretty good. Any comments or help would be appriciated. ???

2. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

I have no experience with 5.29 gears, but just curious, is this on the front or rear axle? If on the rear, is it in a full floater rear? Guys were saying they have to grind the ring gear quite a bit to fit it in a semi floater rear.

Dave

3. cuiser73

cuiser73

This was on the front. You are right about the rear though. I have the semi float and the 529 gears make it all but impossible to run a locker. I was running a lockright and when I installed the ring is so thick you cant remove the cross shaft. I saw on Randys R&P tech section about grinding the cross shaft so you can remove. The way a lockright works I figured it would not give enough contace surface. So I went ahead and welded the rear. It seems to work ok so far.

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Hamma.....here is your broken Land Crusier 5:29 gear set...

:beer:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.