5 vs. 6 Lug - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
So I'm sitting at a stop light today and a new 4-Runner pulls up beside me (SR5, 4WD, V8) and low and behold there it was - six lugs. So that gets me to thinking - why would they put 5 lugs on the 100 Series and keep the 4-Runner (a later design) the standard Toyota 6 lug that has come on every 4WD I've ever bought from them (8...and counting ;) ). Anyone have a clue -

I always wondered the samething. I always thought more was better. I guess not.

I think toyota decide to stick with more common 6 lugs pattern for all the latter design from market request. The 5-150 are a nightmare to find a replacement or aftermarket wheels.

There are a few reason I could think off why they try the 5-150 bolt pattern:
-It would accomodate bigger CV joint
-Weight reduction although very minimal
-Ergonomic request from the assembly plant

This is pretty much common sense to figure out.

They figured that the pansy 100 series drivers would cry if they had to loosen 6 lug nuts so only used 5. :flipoff2: :D

They figured you'd really gripe with too many broken fingernails. :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

yeah, but they are bigger bolts... not the skinny little peck$rs...
100 types are into bigger and better :D
E

Awh shoulda bought me a hundred ! :p :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=9103;start=msg79350#msg79350 date=1072154269]
yeah, but they are bigger bolts... not the skinny little peck$rs...
100 types are into bigger and better :D
E
[/quote]

Eric,

yeah and this bigger bolts fit the DVD and home cinema system in the 100 too :D :D :D

Mike

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9103;start=msg79327#msg79327 date=1072150301]
They figured that the pansy 100 series drivers would cry if they had to loosen 6 lug nuts so only used 5. :flipoff2: :D
[/quote]

What is more, the hub studs are 10mm and not 8mm, the splined length on the drive flange is longer and the front wheelbearings are bigger than the 80. :flipoff2:

Christo (now looking for a 100 series since the SchoolBus sold)

bigger bearings? oooolala!
you tell them 80 kids, Christo! Put them in their place.

and yeah, Mike, the later 100s have a built-in camera system feeding into the DVD to monitor the health of the CV boots in real time... So no surprise with the evil Birfs! Oh wait... there is no Birf on a 100! Bwahahahahah! :D :D

Eric

someone buy junk a 100 to shut him up

dang, don't give him any ideas or it'll get worse.... :eek:
E

Here's a Venezuelan 2006 FZJ70, with 5 lug pattern
2006-FZJ70.jpg

Because the RR uses 5 lug.

Nice thread Tucker! A throw back from your Newbie days for sure!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom