5 person RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone make a roof top tent for 5 people? So far I cannot find one? It could even be a RTT with an add on room connected below with a floor for the kids? I found a few 4 person units, but nothing larger.

I think the add-a-room has 4 walls. It comes with a ground sheet but not sure if it fastens to the walls. Might want to give one of the vendors a call on that one.

Last edited:
FWIW, the Large Maggiolina Adventurer I had used queen size sheets on the mattress, and covered the entire roof of my 60. Prolly doesn't get much bigger than that w/o an add a room...

5 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids? Two or three companies market a "family" tent that is 2400mm x 2200mm or 2400mm x 2400mm (about 8 feet square) when open. They aren't really meant to go on top of a truck, but more so onto a trailer as they are freakin heavy. (@ 250# or more) Eezi-Awn: Family Rooftent

Hope this helps.

Blue 60

5 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids? Two or three companies market a "family" tent that is 2400mm x 2200mm or 2400mm x 2400mm (about 8 feet square) when open. They aren't really meant to go on top of a truck, but more so onto a trailer as they are freakin heavy. (@ 250# or more) Eezi-Awn: Family Rooftent

Hope this helps.

Blue 60

It will most likely go on top of a trailer. I saw that one, but I'm talking 2 adults and 3 kids. The problem is the "kids" are 6' 1", 5'9" and 5' tall. That's why I said 5 adults! An RTT that sleeps 3 or 4 plus some enclosed floor space below would probably work.

Dont know if they are available in the US yet.........

AUTOCAMP-Family
4.jpg

It will most likely go on top of a trailer. I saw that one, but I'm talking 2 adults and 3 kids. The problem is the "kids" are 6' 1", 5'9" and 5' tall. That's why I said 5 adults! An RTT that sleeps 3 or 4 plus some enclosed floor space below would probably work.

Why would you even want 5 people in one tent? If your kids are not infants/toddlers, aren't they old enough to be in their own tent? How about one RTT on the trailer and the other on the rig?

Why would you even want 5 people in one tent? If your kids are not infants/toddlers, aren't they old enough to be in their own tent? How about one RTT on the trailer and the other on the rig?

Very good thought, and I've actually considered a RTT on the trailer and one on the truck. I guess we've always just been under one roof, so it's what we're used to. Just looking at options. I really like some of the options King Kampers offer with a main tent with matress, and a huge canopy for shade around it with optional rooms. Just won't spend $20K plus for their unit!

I use the Eezi-Awn Family tent for my group of five (2 adults, three kids 7, 4, and 4) and we barely fit. In the future I plan to add a trailer with an 1800 Eezi Awn for myself and the wife and leave the kids in the bigger tent.

I'm planning a two RTT rig, one on the trailer and one on the truck. I might also carry a small ground tent.

Are those fully enclosed?

I have a 1.6m T-Top. You have the option of putting on any or all of the four walls. The walls zip together. The wall that faces the car has a large door zipper so that you can access your car in a fairly sealed environment.

The floor mat is separate from the walls and does not attach to the walls. Instead, it has maybe 70% fabric and 30% openings to allow tracked in dirt to fall through. It works amazing well at shedding dirt. You stake the walls (if it's the least bit windy) through the floor mat. In my RTT investigation I found that Hannibal has a velcro attachment system between the floors and the walls, and that Howling Moon's Tourer tents form a completely sealed enclosure.

I would not recommend the T-Top tent for 5 people due to the limited space available and tear down time (setup is quick). You are better off getting 2 RTT's or a RTT and ground tent.

Very good thought, and I've actually considered a RTT on the trailer and one on the truck. I guess we've always just been under one roof, so it's what we're used to. Just looking at options. I really like some of the options King Kampers offer with a main tent with matress, and a huge canopy for shade around it with optional rooms. Just won't spend $20K plus for their unit!

I have a friend in Ft Collins who is selling his Kimberly/King Kamper for some price less than $20k (I think). I believe he put it up for sale on Expo.

Here is a 2400mm x 2400mm with a "t-top and attached room. I'm sure that if you call some of the dealers for the domestically available RTT's that they have some similar options.... (Howling Moon - Rooftop and Trailer Tents - Tourer)

Edit: Eezi-Awn offers a 2200mm (7'-2.5" long) x 2400mm (7'-10.5" wide) T-top w/ an attached room below. (http://www.eeziawn.com/ttop.html)

Just some more thought. Two tents might be cheaper. And if only the adults were going out, there would be less set-up time and hassle.

Blue 60

Last edited:
F that. Why the hell would you want your kids in your tent? Kids fart too much and you can get busy with the kids in a tent. Tents make me randy. no kids in my tent

The large Autohome Overland is 71 inches X 86 inches. 5 would be tight.

1 Overcamp for 2 and a medium overland would be the combo that would fit five all on the roof. Tents will be side by side and will fold out on both sides... Another option... Around $4400 for both...

Not sure if you have a Easy-up or similar canopy in youre gear, but there are wall kits available for them that make them into a large tent. I have a 10'x12' easy-up that we always take camping, and have been debating one of these wall sets for just that reason. At the moment we all fit in the Mombasa genI tent 2 adults and 3 little ones but we will soon outgrow this setup. I'm planning a trailer build for family camping and this canopy will deffinately be worked into the build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom