4x4 ATVs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nephew is looking to purchase a 4x4 atv. He wants something he can put a little plow on it so he could use it to make a little money for his college account and also something he can still get out and have some fun on. His dad is no help, so I told him I'd try to help. Where's a good place to start?

Honda.

I can't remember if it was the Foreman, or FourTrax. But one of two has more accessories than you can shake a stick at.

basically any of the 4wd one have more accessories than you know what do with.

Polaris Sportsman
Honda Forman/Recon
Suzuki Vinson
Yamaha Grizzly
Kawasaki

They all have some sort of 4wd version that works pretty good.

I can't see you making enough to pay for a ATV buy just pushing snow. The prices are way to high for them. even used ones are overpriced.

Last edited:
I can't see you making enough to pay for a ATV buy just pushing snow. The prices are way to high for them. even used ones are overpriced.
He's going to make a deal with his dad. Dad buys atv, son agrees to plow their driveway and the 2 older folks driveways in their hood. Anything after that goes into the college fund and he gets to have fun with it. Gives him a chance to show what kind of ambition he has and hopefully gives him some encouragement to wrench around a little bit.

Absolutely cannot go wrong with Honda.

In my experience, Yamaha has also been good.

My friends and I rode a lot of fourwheelers throughout our teen years. Honda's and Yamaha's took the abuse, not much else did.

I could go into many personal stories about nearly every brand, but I won't do that unless you need specifics.

Over here in New Zealand where pretty much every station (ranch/farm) has fourwheelers, you are hard pressed to find anything but Honda.

Honda, Honda, Honda.

Polaris Sportsman

They all have some sort of 4wd version that works pretty good.

If it's belt drive, I disagree.

After hearing about the, "If you get the belt wet" I gave the Polaris the benefit of doubt. But after 15mins of getting one, an up to the nerfbars beaching in a creek had us TRYING to dry it all day long.

Polaris has nice big motors, but I'm not a fan of that belt and pulley drive.

Also, 4WD no worky in reverse. It had a safety switch you had to press if you needed it.

If it's belt drive, I disagree.

After hearing about the, "If you get the belt wet" I gave the Polaris the benefit of doubt. But after 15mins of getting one, an up to the nerfbars beaching in a creek had us TRYING to dry it all day long.

Polaris has nice big motors, but I'm not a fan of that belt and pulley drive.

Also, 4WD no worky in reverse. It had a safety switch you had to press if you needed it.

Didn't know that went to belts. I guess i'm glad i've got a old 1995 polaris. On mine you have to press the reverse limiter to get 4wd to work in reverse. But hey 14 years later stuff might be diffrent/worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom