4X4 4 Cylinder! 98 4runner TRD. WHAT? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone give me a run down on what might have been done to make this possible, thinking of buying a 4runner that adverts as having a super charger on a 4cyl, with 4x4... along with advantages or disadvantages of this type of mod.

Or is this one of those things you shouldn't pass up, kinda rig?

It's probably a real gas guzzler. My 2.7 gets the same are worse mileage than a comparably equipped v6. But, I'd like to do a SC on mine.

It's probably a real gas guzzler. My 2.7 gets the same are worse mileage than a comparably equipped v6. But, I'd like to do a SC on mine.

Aside from HP. whats the fuel consumption stats on the SC for a 2.7? better or worse.

Its a newb question i know just never thought id be sitting here thinking about one..

I think the HP increase puts it on par with the v6. But a pulley change would put it a little past the v6 power. Not many stateside are SCed. Mostly Hilux's that you'll see on youtube that are. I'm almost positive that if I'm already getting the same or less mileage than a v6, then forced air will knock that down a few more mpg.

Try googling it as well as youtube. I gained knowledge from both when I was curious about an S/C on my 5VZ-FE. A 7th injector is recommended due to the fuel parameters (non S/C) being too lean when an S/C is bolted on. Also, IIRC, there is some computer mods that are advantageous (required?)...

Danny

does toyota make 98 4cyl 4runners with 4x4?

Yes they did have these. One of my college professors back east had one. And trd had the superchargers then it went to alpine. Check out lc engineering for parts/a bit of info. Gas mileage shouldnt be bad depending how you drive it.

You betcha they made a 2.7L 4X4 runner and some SR5's came with the rear diff lock option too :)
DSC_0240.JPG
Picture 176.jpg
DSC_0257.JPG

Last edited:
Can anyone give me a run down on what might have been done to make this possible, thinking of buying a 4runner that adverts as having a super charger on a 4cyl, with 4x4... along with advantages or disadvantages of this type of mod.

Or is this one of those things you shouldn't pass up, kinda rig?

Just thought I'd give you a heads up, this post is 5 years old.

What exactly are you trying to figure out?

You betcha they made a 2.7L 4X4 runner and some SR5's came with the rear diff lock option too :)
View attachment 725539View attachment 725540View attachment 725543
View attachment 725539View attachment 725540View attachment 725543
No way is that a 4CYLINDER TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC transmission with 4x4! I have been looking all over in Canada for one but they are like unicorns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom