4bt pan modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't want to lift my fj60 4 inches. It has a 3 inch lift (i think) and a shackle reversal so I am thinking that there is maybe 3.5 inches of total lift. Can you modify the 4bt oil pick up and pan so you don't need so much lift? I would think that the pan is large only to increase the volume of oil. If this is the case it could be modified. I would just have to make sure I kept clean oil in her.

RDO

Check out 4btswaps.com. Bronco guys are modifying oil pans alot. It is also a great resource for your swap.

Sure you can modify the oil pan and like CRZA1 said there a lots that have done that. If you do that I would try to add back as much capacity as possilbe by adding on the opposite side you took off from. Do you have a front or rear sump pan?

Last edited:
heres another option "massaging" done by Tim at landcruiser specialties

DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1782.jpg

it looks like **** and the first time i braked, it hit the driveshaft and gouged the pan. so he pulled it, hammered some more and patched it with spot welds and jb weld.

On a 6BT the pickup tube is on the drivers side of the pan and the sender tube runs down the same side, so the plan now is to remove the ugly pan and cut out and re-shape the pan to avoid this issue.

It can be done. I have a 4BT in an 80, that has no lift, but does have a 1" body lift. BUT, I cut the heck out of the oil pan.

heres a link to the above thread with links to Gifu's picasa albums

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/231045-fj60-4bt-but-no-soa.html

Last edited:
im in the same boat, and recently posted up in the diesel section about this (and got the same responses)... so now im doin a lil more research...:hmm: seems to me to be veeerrryy possible and likely its what ill be doing

if nothing else ill enjoy the welding practice:hillbilly:

I'm surprised Profitt's doesn't offer this. It does seem silly that you HAVE to have a 4 inch lift to fit a 4BT... hot rodders have been moding oil pans forever. The 4BT is an interesting engine, I'm just bummed you can't use the stock trans. All of these diesel swaps sound great, but what we need are adapters so that we can run our stock trans and t case. That would make it simpler and cheaper.

I'm surprised Profitt's doesn't offer this. It does seem silly that you HAVE to have a 4 inch lift to fit a 4BT... hot rodders have been moding oil pans forever. The 4BT is an interesting engine, I'm just bummed you can't use the stock trans. All of these diesel swaps sound great, but what we need are adapters so that we can run our stock trans and t case. That would make it simpler and cheaper.

who told you you couldn't use the stock trans??? there are more than one option out there to adapt the 4bt to stock toyota.

IE chevy to toy and overdrive to toy.

clint

I was assuming, maybe incorrectly, that you could use the ranger splitter or the mark's adapter since the cummins is going to have a Chevy bell housing. Is this the case?

I just never read about anyone that had used the Toy trans, got any links to th adapters or links to any builds? I have been finding a good selection of bread trucks with 4bt's going for 2500 or less out here

Perhaps the toy tranny will not handle the torque of a 4bta. I will do some more research.
RDO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom