4BD2T J60 TI Another Isuzu Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spent the last couple of months putting together and rebuilding an Isuzu 4BD2T to install in the Battle Wagon.
Buildup Thread 4BD2T Buildup - Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

The engine and drive train is finally ready to drop in. Gonna be a busy weekend. It's been raining for days, hopefully it stops!

The combo:
1992 Isuzu 4BD2T
Isuzu Diesel Swapper adapter
Downey bell housing
H55
Toybox
Split case

isu71c-bb.jpg

isu71b-bb.jpg

isu71a-bb.jpg

isu71d-bb.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/sbutman48/isu71g-bb.jpg

Yeah, It's for on board air. Filling tires, running air tools, etc.

Yeah, It's for on board air. Filling tires, running air tools, etc.
No Duh!, I think I was sleep depraved when I posted.

The Isuzu fits incredibly well in the 60

isu74bbb.jpg

The only clearance problems was that the turbo and hydroboost were competing for the same space. That was aleviated by rotating the hydroboost upside down.

isu74fbb.jpg

The motor mounts were way easier than expected. I was able to relocate the original frame mounts AND use the Isuzu's block mounts AND use the motor mounts that came off the 2F that I had built previously.

isu74cbb.jpg

isu74ebb.jpg

The radiator and Intercooler are from a Mitsubishi Fuso truck (as was the turbo)
The radiator is tall and narrow. It might be a challenge to make them fit.

isu74abb.jpg

Looking good. :beer::beer: I'll be watching your progress on this one.

Have you considered usining the 60 radiator? Might simplify the swap. I believe that is what 88TLC did in his swap.

What on Gods green earth did you do to the firewall?

I already know the answer, but I'd thought I'd mention it before anyone else, especially since you didn't!

What are the Isuzu swapper adaptor and the Downey bell housings? Please say more about those and how they make the swap possible.

Rick

Have you considered using the 60 radiator? Might simplify the swap.
I really wanted to since mine is almost new and they have great cooling capacity.
BUT, there wasn't enough room between the radiator and grill for an intercooler i could find. Even if the radiator got positioned back, it would require a custom very wide intercooler that the hoses would interfere with battery locations and a few other things.

What on Gods green earth did you do to the firewall?
:D:eek: Yeah, It does look pretty gnarly :eek: Two part marine foam. I know these engines aren't THAT loud, but every bit of noise suppression helps in a semi roofless vehicle with many other competing noises.

What are the Isuzu swapper adaptor and the Downey bell housings?

The isuzu diesel Swapper adapter makes the back of the Isuzu look like the back of a Chevy.
The website shows the kit and details:
Overview
Then a Downey Chevy to Toyota H42 adapter bell housing and clutch kit can be used. AA makes one too.

A simpler adapter with less parts and a single flywheel would be an improvement, an Isuzu to Toyota direct adapter. There's a couple in the works. Diesel Tim has already made an Isuzu to NV4500 kit, and Rhino is working on a direct Isuzu to H42/H55 adapter.

The isuzu diesel Swapper adapter makes the back of the Isuzu look like the back of a Chevy.
The website shows the kit and details:
Overview
Then a Downey Chevy to Toyota H42 adapter bell housing and clutch kit can be used. AA makes one too.

Does the swapper plate add much length? And are there any internal adaptions to extend the crank (new flywheel, spacer)?

Thanks,

Rick

Does the swapper plate add much length? And are there any internal adaptions to extend the crank (new flywheel, spacer)?
The adapter plate itself is only 1" thick. The Isuzu bell housing is deep and the flywheel surface is probably 4 or 5 inches deeper than the bell housing surface.
The adapter cone that goes between the Isuzu flywheel and the Chevy flywheel is probably4 or 5 inches thick. I would estimate the back of the Isuzu sits about 5" further from the front of the tranny than the 2F did.

it's the pic angle or there is no much room for the turbo inlet hose . ?
Your right, there isn't that much room. Looks like I'll have to shave 2 or 3 inches of foam off the firewall to make room :D

Today made radiator brackets, a fan shroud and intercooler brackets.

The Toyota fan bolted right up to the Isuzu fan clutch.

Plenty of room in the front of the engine. The radiator does sit a ways behind the radiator support.

isu77cbb.jpg

isu77ebb.jpg

isu77fbb.jpg

nice job so far buddy,,, i will be real curious how those motor mounts do when you fire it up. i wanted to go that route but was concerned about shaking the pig and maybe even the mounts loose. if it works out i'll switch mine over.

...The radiator and Intercooler are from a Mitsubishi Fuso truck (as was the turbo)
The radiator is tall and narrow. It might be a challenge to make them fit.

isu74abb.jpg

What are the dimensions of the Fuso radiator? Did you have any problems with the extra height? How about posting some close up pics of your radiator mount.

I was looking at my FJ62 radiator and it looks to be too wide to mount the intercooler in front of it so using the Isuzu radiator may be the way to go.

I'm feeling really jealous seen those pics .. what a space in front to mount a front mounted IC .. ! and I can't with my 2H . ! :eek:

i will be real curious how those motor mounts do when you fire it up.
I'll let you know. Hopefully this weekend I fire it up.

What are the dimensions of the Fuso radiator? Did you have any problems with the extra height?

Overall it's 27" X 19". Core size is 22" x 19".
Had to notch out and modify the frame corner brackets. Between that and the pre existing 3" body lift, the radiator would have been too tall.
I used the Mitsubishi rubber mounts and brackets that came on the radiator and made another brkt to attach it all to the frame.

I'm feeling really jealous seen those pics .. what a space in front to mount a front mounted IC .. ! and I can't with my 2H . !
I would gladly trade my engine for your turbo 2H so you can have a front intercooler :D I love the 2H.

isu79ebb.jpg

isu79abb.jpg

All accessories and belts complete. Ready for the final radiator install.

isu79cbb.jpg

Got some mandrel bends to build the exhaust. 3" wouldn't fit between the motor mount and starter, so had to go with 2.5"

isu79bbb.jpg

i will be real curious how those motor mounts do when you fire it up.
I don't think i can answer your question very accurately because I haven't driven any Isuzu NPR trucks. Too bad we don't live closer so we could compare. The truck does vibrate some at idle. Enough to where the mirrors flutter on the doors, and the steering wheel shakes some when it's cold, but I don't feel any vibration in the seat. I've observed NPR trucks at traffic lights and the mirrors on the doors vibrate too. So I'm guessing the mounts do an OK job.
Got it running and driving. Spent the last few days fixing minor bugs and tightening up loose ends. Very pleased with the results so far :bounce:
It cruises down the interstate at 2100 RPM at 70 MPH and 2250 RPM at 75 MPH. 75 is about as fast as i want to run it. Between 70 and 75 seems to be the sweet cruising spot for this engine. Yes it does vibrate some at idle, but once cruising the engine is smooth and surprisingly quiet.
I've got about 75 miles on it. Just need to go out drive it some more and break the engine in.

isu80cbb.jpg

isu80bbb.jpg

isu80dbb.jpg

isu80abb.jpg

Runs fine:

YouTube - DSCN2765

The extra vibrating noise is the hood vibrating on the prop rod

what kind of brake booster is that in the 60? we are exploring of using the same motor but our question is the turbo and brake booster area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom