4.88's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had no idea that installing ring and pinions was going to be so expensive. I got an estimate of $400 an axle. That is amazing. Sorry had to vent.

if you take the truck in and have them disassemble, that's not a surprise...

disassemble and remove the chunks yourself, and the price outta drop to about $100-150 ea labor....then it's just setup time.... (assuming you provide them all the gears/parts/install kits)

Most of that is probably labor costs. You can cut down on shop time by pulling the third members yourself, then take the ring and pinion and install kit to them for installation.
Some shops prefer that you purchase the r & p and install kit from them. It's a liability issue if something goes wrong. Check with the shop before you buy the new 4.88s.

Actnjacksn said:
I had no idea that installing ring and pinions was going to be so expensive. I got an estimate of $400 an axle. That is amazing. Sorry had to vent.

DO IT YOURSELF.

(assuming you provide them all the gears/parts/install kits)

*Some shops frown on this practice. They want to be able to upchrage you for all the install stuff no matter how much $$$ you think your saving by buying it yourself. Somebody told me this once "It's like bringin' a steak to a steakhouse". Call around & find out if any shops will charge you for "labor only".

one other thing....every town out there has a "gear setup guy" that all the racers/locals trust to do their setups right the first time....I've got one guy here I'd trust for a daily driver gear job, or with trannies, etc...

Finding that local shop for "labor only" may put you in with someone who sets gears by the book, rather than reading the pattern and doing it properly....

Our connection guy to the gear guy is the commercial sales manager at our local AZ. He has lived in this town his whole life and has raced here about that whole time. He knows everybody and everything about it all. :D

poser, if i could do it myself i definetely would, but the problem is im not experienced enough with that stuff to do so. i got the price from a pretty reliable source that i know well and is close. i was hoping it would be more like 100-150 like some of you have stated. i guess ill look around some more. thanks for the advice and hopefully i can find a place that wont cost an arm and a leg. plus i am a poor college student, they should give me a break just for that

Actnjacksn said:
plus i am a poor college student, they should give me a break just for that

OMFG :crybaby:

Having an entitlement mentality will not get you very far in life, poor college boy....that is a fact.

Perhaps re-evaluating and prioritizing things in your life right now would be a better idea...

Education......Gears.....

I would get the education.

:)

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
OMFG :crybaby:
Having an entitlement mentality will not get you very far in life, poor college boy....that is a fact.-Steve[/QUO

Steve I wish you would quit holding your true feelings in and say what ya mean instead of beating around the bush

haha poser you crack me up. you really think im serious. im getting my education weither i get my gears or not. that has nothing to do with it. i was just kidding. i just didnt expect it to be that much.

'round here the rate quoted by the drivetrain shops and the couple of (other) 4x4 shops and speed shops that have the experience and knowledge to do a setup is $300 per diff if you bring it to them for a bench job.

I didn't expect to see it costing more anywhere else. What kind of town/city/area are you located in? Pretty yuppie and hard to find automotive, industrial and general blue collar support?

Mark...

Woody is right look for that local guy setting them up. Got a dirt track near buy? Run out their and ask around. In Portland, OR there are a number of places. The best deal in town still is W’ Harold at Over the Hill 4x4, bring in your 3rd and $100 later its set up right. He also does not require you to sport a new rebuild kit, he knows how to set back up the old bearings.

Now back to you doing it yourself! Special tools? Not really only a dial indicator and a stand for it. ($30-40 www.use-enco.com/) If you use a new barring set just have who ever sells you the bearings to press the new pinion bearing on your new pinion. If you are putting in a locker like a ARB or Detroit have the same guys press on the side bearings. If not and you are reusing the old bearings move on*. Now you can do 95% of the install your self in the bed of your 40 or tailgate of your 55. Once you have the pattern that matches the book, take the thing down to the pro guys and ask them to confirm it. Bring a case of beer for them. If it looks good ask them to impact the pinion nut on for you to set the crush sleeve. Done.

Home made special tools (HMSST):
Need a side adjuster spanner wrench? Easy. Pick up a big honking crescent wrench under $20. Grab some 1/8” or 3/16” roll pins from the hardware store; drill a hole on each side face of the jaws. (one on the fixed jaw one on the adjustable jaw) Drive in the roll pins where they stick out about ¾”, you got yourself an adjustable spanner.

*If you replace your side carrier bearings w/ new and are reusing the OE carrier you will need to have the old pressed off and the new pressed on.

Just research the how to part of setting up a 3rd, consider this part of your higher education! I learned to do them myself since I was a poor collage student. Heck I learned, body work, how to swap a motor, etc. no $ is a great motivator to learn new things!

Mark

I was watching truck universe a couple of days ago and those guys put the bearings on a little hot plate and just dropped em onto the pinion with a pair of needle nose pliars after heating for a bit. I was amazed.

I tried sticking the pinion in the Freezer for about 8 hours - That kinda worked.

I bought a cheap ($100) 12 Ton press from Harbor Freight to do my bearings. Worked great and the Press doesn't take up that much room in the garage either.

I just wished my brother hadn't broken my arbor plate trying to smash a penny with it. :(

mark, helocat, e-man, thanks for the advice. i really want to learn how to do this stuff cause i love workin on my 40 and im real interested in how the stuff works. i live in norman oklahoma. ive been looking around the city mostly so hopefully ill have more luck soon. thanks again

e-man said:
I bought a cheap ($100) 12 Ton press from Harbor Freight to do my bearings. Worked great and the Press doesn't take up that much room in the garage either.

I just wished my brother hadn't broken my arbor plate trying to smash a penny with it.

Gotta love tools by the pound that float accross the pond...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom