4.7 supercharger, thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for input on the 4.7 supercharger kits out there. I'm more of a turbo guy, but would like to see if anyone has run these and other than crappy mpg and some wear if this is a decent mod. The iron block for me is screaming to boost for some more hp and tq. Also has anyone took the leap into a standalone efi systems ( aem, motel, halters, etc)? Looks like it could remedy all th air injection/ emissions trouble this engine has.

The TRD supercharger was available for 100 series non VVTI but pulled out because the rod are weak. Not sure what heavy duty rod is available. Harrop engineering does not make it anymore although it shows one for 200 series with 4.6 V8 applications.

It's theoretically possible for a 2UZ-FE (VVTI or non-VVTI) using an Elate supercharge manifold and a Eaton M90 or M112 supercharger (the later was stock on the 4.6 Mustang Cobra in the '00's and can be found easily):

Speed Academy did a build on a similar VVTI 3UZ on their YouTube channel:

Personally I think it seems like a interesting mod and does not seem unobtainable, but it's far from a bolt on, and it seems like there is a major lack of (or even no) ways to tune the factory ECU to run the supercharger. It would be a fun project for someone with some moderate fabrication skills and the patience to figure out the engine management. I also think a transmission valve body upgrade would be in order, the OEM transmissions in these shift too lazy for 270 HP and would be over-matched by the supercharger.

Last edited:
The TRD supercharger was available for 100 series non VVTI but pulled out because the rod are weak. Not sure what heavy duty rod is available. Harrop engineering does not make it anymore although it shows one for 200 series with 4.6 V8 applications.
I have a TRD unit that I have yet to install, taken from a Sequoia that had it installed by the dealer under warranty. It’s been hanging around in a storage unit for far too long. Unfortunately for that the previous owner, but fortunate for me, it got T-boned. I'm going to install it (hopefully) soon on my 2004 GX470 after I get the internals inspected and refurbished.

I spoke with a former Toyota/Lexus master mechanic about his thoughts on installing the supercharger and why they stopped making them. He told me not to worry too much on the Lexus models. Although the Toyota vehicles had a 4.7L V8 with the same engine designation, he told me that those engines are not the same as the Lexus. Those are made/assembled in Kentucky with cast internals. The Lexus are imported from Japan with forged internals. He said that he saw a small number of the Toyotas with failures. He suspected that those owners were also using the cheapest gas at the pump. He didn’t have many Lexus’ with the TRD’s installed, but he said that he never saw one with issues.

I had this reaffirmed by another mechanic, but I would like some confirmation. Are there any old crusty Toyota/Lexus nerds on here that can definitively confirm or deny with experience?

Last edited:
I have a TRD unit that have yet to install, taken from a Sequoia that had it installed by the dealer under warranty. Unfortunately for that guy, but fortunate for me, it got T-boned. I'm going to install it (hopefully) soon on my 2004 GX470 after I get the internals inspected and refurbished.

I spoke with a former Toyota/Lexus master mechanic about his thoughts on installing the supercharger and why they stopped making them. He told me not to worry too much on the Lexus models. Although the Toyota vehicles had a 4.7L V8 with the same engine designation, he told me that those engines are not the same as the Lexus. Those are made/assembled in Kentucky with cast internals. The Lexus are imported from Japan with forged internals. He said that he saw a small number of the Toyotas with

Good stuff!

It's theoretically possible for a 2UZ-FE (VVTI or non-VVTI) using an Elate supercharge manifold and a Eaton M90 or M112 supercharger (the later was stock on the 4.6 Mustang Cobra in the '00's and can be found easily):

Speed Academy did a build on a similar VVTI 3UZ on their YouTube channel:

Personally I think it seems like a interesting mod and does not seem unobtainable, but it's far from a bolt on, and it seems like there is a major lack of (or even no) ways to tune the factory ECU to run the supercharger. It would be a fun project for someone with some moderate fabrication skills and the patience to figure out the engine management. I also think a transmission valve body upgrade would be in order, the OEM transmissions in these shift too lazy for 270 HP and would be over-matched by the supercharger.

That makes me want to build an LS430 for fun!

That makes me want to build an LS430 for fun!
They are surprisingly affordable! The interior also looks nearly identical to a GX. I'd love one for a family cruiser.

I have a TRD unit that I have yet to install, taken from a Sequoia that had it installed by the dealer under warranty. It’s been hanging around in a storage unit for far too long. Unfortunately for that the previous owner, but fortunate for me, it got T-boned. I'm going to install it (hopefully) soon on my 2004 GX470 after I get the internals inspected and refurbished.

I spoke with a former Toyota/Lexus master mechanic about his thoughts on installing the supercharger and why they stopped making them. He told me not to worry too much on the Lexus models. Although the Toyota vehicles had a 4.7L V8 with the same engine designation, he told me that those engines are not the same as the Lexus. Those are made/assembled in Kentucky with cast internals. The Lexus are imported from Japan with forged internals. He said that he saw a small number of the Toyotas with failures. He suspected that those owners were also using the cheapest gas at the pump. He didn’t have many Lexus’ with the TRD’s installed, but he said that he never saw one with issues.

I had this reaffirmed by another mechanic, but I would like some confirmation. Are there any old crusty Toyota/Lexus nerds on here that can definitively confirm or deny with experience?
My buddy has two supercharged 1st gen tundras and seems to be very knowledgeable on them. When i asked about failures before he said lots of guys would run the wrong sized pulleys to get more boost than was designed

If you can find a full, and I mean FULL kit it seems worth it IMO. Otherwise? Not in the least. There is way more to these kits than just the supercharger unit. The small parts simply don't exist anymore and tuning seems like a nightmare. You really don't get huge HP out of the original pulley and the motor can't handle more than that.

Tearing down your motor to "inspect" seems like a complete waste of time unless you are planning higher boost and a full performance build. Not worth it. I'd stop at doing a simple leakdown/compression test. If it's going to blow, inspecting and refurbishing the factory components isn't getting you anything. It's extremely rare the insides of these motors have issues, even at 500k miles.

No one buys a 2UZ to go fast. If that is what you are after, I would start with a better platform. Toyota? The 5.7 is a stout motor, makes a buttload more power and you can still buy a full supercharger kit for it. 550 HP. Frankly I'd move away from Toyota for speed but I prefer reliability.

I have a complete kit, which is nice and difficult to find.

I should have specified that I’m going to have the supercharger torn down for basic inspection and to do basic maintenance and replace the ‘wear’ items.

I’m not trying to go fast, but the GX is more affected by altitude than any vehicle I have ever owned. Over 11,000ft it is really gutless. It would be nice to have some extra oomph while some off-road stuff above tree-line. Most importantly, I would like to be able to drive at the speed limit up to the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels on I70, which are over 11,000ft, without the foot to the floor and the engine nearing redline.

I’m not trying to go fast, but the GX is more affected by altitude than any vehicle I have ever owned. Over 11,000ft it is really gutless. It would be nice to have some extra oomph while some off-road stuff above tree-line. Most importantly, I would like to be able to drive at the speed limit up to the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels on I70, which are over 11,000ft, without the foot to the floor and the engine nearing redline.

^ This

At only 25-50 HP gain, its not really worth it IMO. If you are running oversize tires, re-gear. That is the best way to get your power back, and make it feel lively.
Or keep the weight off! I can't believe how much some people load down their rig (insert brand name here). Sucking power big time.
Then lie about their mpg's lol.
My mindset is to camp as if you are backpacking. Its kind of hard to do, but a concept I try to utilize. ...Especially with multiple people.
Gear, food, beer adds up fast to an over full rig.
My '04, pre VVT with 295 tires (33.5") shifts back & forth traveling over passes. Just did it with a trailer too. I need 4.56's now!
Our GX470 engine is soo sweet - too bad it's slightly weak on power.

At only 25-50 HP gain, its not really worth it IMO. If you are running oversize tires, re-gear. That is the best way to get your power back, and make it feel lively.
Or keep the weight off! I can't believe how much some people load down their rig (insert brand name here). Sucking power big time.
Then lie about their mpg's lol.
My mindset is to camp as if you are backpacking. Its kind of hard to do, but a concept I try to utilize. ...Especially with multiple people.
Gear, food, beer adds up fast to an over full rig.
My '04, pre VVT with 295 tires (33.5") shifts back & forth traveling over passes. Just did it with a trailer too. I need 4.56's now!
Our GX470 engine is soo sweet - too bad it's slightly weak on power.
Likely closer to 100hp and similar 100tq gain. Some compressed air would be much appreciated, especially with a bunch of gear and buddies in the vehicle. I really just want it to act like it does at low altitude. At sea level, it is a BEAST with power. At higher altitude, it feels like an early 90’s Honda Accord with bikes racked on top. All vehicles do this, generally followed by formula. The GX seems FAR more extreme than any other vehicle I have owned, short of a 80’s carbureted motorcycle from sea level to Pike’s Peak.

My VVTI GX with headers does pretty well at altitude. I haven't pulled Eisenhower with it but its done fine on the 10-11k passes in SW Colorado. The headers are a great mod with no potential to reduce engine longevity. The power gains are all in the midrange (3000-4500 rpm), which is the rpm range for pulling a pass.

I would start there before a supercharger. Or do both. The OEM exhaust manifolds on these are crazy restrictive and would probably bottleneck some of the potential gains from.a supercharger.

I have some Doug Thorley headers that will be installed with the supercharger. I figured that it would be a good idea with more air and fuel being exploded. I also installed a Lenz snorkel. According to a local offroad shop, all of the unnecessary snorkels that people never actually use have The side effect benefit of lowering intake air temperatures around 20°

Which headers do you have?

I have some Doug Thorley headers that will be installed with the supercharger. I figured that it would be a good idea with more air and fuel being exploded. I also installed a Lenz snorkel. According to a local offroad shop, all of the unnecessary snorkels that people never actually use have The side effect benefit of lowering intake air temperatures around 20°

Which headers do you have?
DT long tubes. No emissions here so i was able to ditch the front cats. It should run really well with headers and a supercharger.

FYI i also have a aFe cold air intake. I monitor my IAT with Torque Pro and it's usually identical to ambient air temp, other than when sitting at idle.

It’s good to hear that the headers stand up to their claims.

Interesting on the IAT’s. Well, the snorkel is already installed, so I’ll leave it be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom