4.00$+ a gallon gas/diesel by summer...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
Threads
Right now bio is 2.92 gallon at the SeaPort Biofuels pump in Seattle. Its been speculated that gas will hit 4.00+ a gallon by mid summer. What are your thoughts on how bio is going to go? Is there a reason that bio will go up with regular diesel? Except for the effect of the free market of course....

Thanks.

Tom

Hereus, in BC there are only a few places offering retail Biodiesel. I was told by one of the comanies making Bio, that the Abbotsford area is suppose to be getting a Biodiesel retail/card lock by this summer. They think the market will take off. The provincial government is trying to promote it's use and has removed a portion of the taxes. This automatically makes it cheaper than dino. Thus, the greater the percentage of Bio - the cheaper the fuel. However, I expect that the increased demand will bring the price up with dino. There are still a fair number of NA diesels which can't run Bio, which should keep the demand down :). However, diesel equiptment operators are bound to begin making the switch when they discover the benefits and learn they can run it in their equiptment. On the happy front, diesel is still about $0.18 a liter cheaper than gas here. Not like last summer where the price was the same or in some places more than gas.

Nobody CANT use bio diesel. The pre 1990 engines might want to replace some fuel lines, but ANY diesel engine can run bio!
My 1985 Toyota 2L has been chugging on B99 for a could years with zero problems.

Nobody CANT use bio diesel. The pre 1990 engines might want to replace some fuel lines, but ANY diesel engine can run bio!
My 1985 Toyota 2L has been chugging on B99 for a could years with zero problems.

have you replaced your fuel lines to viton yet? Or are you still running the rubber lines??

The station closest to my house only has B20 which I think is a tad too high if I'm running regular rubber lines. :(

B5 would be great if they had it but it's far away from me

I havent switched anything in my Samurai (which has the 2L) and Ive been running B99 for a couple years. The fear is unfounded IMO. Ive changed out my fuel filter a couple times and nothing.

You'd be fine running B20 without Viton lines. In fact you'd be fine for quite a while running B99 without Viton. It's a relatively slow deterioration process if you leave your natural rubber lines intact.

I've been running B99 for about a month now on my original lines. I have my Viton lines ready to install but haven't gotten around to it yet.

To the original question, we're at about $2.89 here in Austin for B99. If prices do skyrocket on regular diesel it'd be a golden opportunity to get more converts to biodiesel, assuming the free market effect doesn't drive our prices up immediately. If that happens I guess it's time to start my own refinery or join a co-op.

Where is a good place to get those lines? I guess it wouldnt hurt to change them out.

Just going by the big warning sign they have at the bio pump where I get my biodiesel. I asked and they told me certain NA diesels can not run bio and/or their manufacturers will void warranties if they run it. However, I am seeing big Semi Tractors filling up with Bio, so I am assuming that it is some of the smaller NA diesles which may have issues with Bio.

As Tom said, there are NO vehicles which can't run bio (unless they are petrol of course). The issue is more related to warranty protection than ability to run the fuels, and the warranty issue actually stems from the injection pump manufacturers.

There is an excellent article in the April 2007 issue of Diesel Power magazine on biodiesel use, warranties, and performance testing. It dispells quite a few myths about bio and provides good food for thought. Check it out.

Thanks BD. What's funny is that the only vehicles of concern are so far out of their bloody warrenties its comical! Bio away!

Tom:cheers:

Just going by the big warning sign they have at the bio pump where I get my biodiesel. I asked and they told me certain NA diesels can not run bio and/or their manufacturers will void warranties if they run it. However, I am seeing big Semi Tractors filling up with Bio, so I am assuming that it is some of the smaller NA diesles which may have issues with Bio.

John, I stopped at NW Diesel Injection in Port Kells as we were preparing to head south and I asked that exact question. The response that I got was "Any engine with an oil lubricated pump like the inline pump in the 3B was OK, the rotary pumps may have a problem because they are fuel lubricated."

That was what I was told. I know everyone says that there is more lubricity in the bio-diesel but what do I know?

I've had it a few times in the truck on the way down and it didn't bother it at all.

John, I stopped at NW Diesel Injection in Port Kells as we were preparing to head south and I asked that exact question. The response that I got was "Any engine with an oil lubricated pump like the inline pump in the 3B was OK, the rotary pumps may have a problem because they are fuel lubricated."

That was what I was told. I know everyone says that there is more lubricity in the bio-diesel but what do I know?

I've had it a few times in the truck on the way down and it didn't bother it at all.

Good Lord that is a good one. Im not picking on you, but Id like you to go stick your hand in a bottle of Wesson oil. Then tell me whether you think that would lubricate ANYING better than diesel oil!

The answer is big ole turbo (diesel) yes!

I had just presumed that it had something to do with the electronics in the NA fuel injection system. Charles, that is a bit crazy what they said at NW Fuel Injection. As I understand it oil companies are using bio as a lubrication additive for ULSD. As you know, inline pumps being CC lubricated don't need the extra lubrication, so it must be done just for us who have rotary pumps.

Now who am I supose to respect as the know it all fuel injection people. I wrote off Valley Fuel Injection after my fiasco with them and had heard such good things about NW Fuel Injection. Well at least they had the guts to say they didn't feel comfortable trying to pull, install and time my pump - unlike the locals BSed me for almost a month and then robbed me .:mad: Sorry for the rant. It still burns me cause that was money for a lift and a winch.

Anyways, I still run bio when I get to Delta. I am looking forward to the retail place opening in Abby or near by. It not just a question of the environment but a question of keeping my engine and fuel system in good condition.

Cheers, John

I think the issue is not necessarily the vegetable oil component (lubricant) of biodiesel but rather the methanol component of the fuel and potential impurities (water and unreacted lye/methanol/fatty acids).

Commercially produced biodiesel which is frequently tested and rigidly manufactured is unlikely to cause a problem in ANY diesel engine. Fuel that is less frequently tested (or untested) and which is less stable CAN (not necessarily will) cause problems down the line.

Right now bio is 2.92 gallon at the SeaPort Biofuels pump in Seattle. Its been speculated that gas will hit 4.00+ a gallon by mid summer. What are your thoughts on how bio is going to go? Is there a reason that bio will go up with regular diesel? Except for the effect of the free market of course....

Thanks.

Tom

Welcome to our world,thats exactly what aussies are paying for fuel on a good day;)
It makes a landcruiser gasser almost unbearable to run if your doing a lot of miles

There use to be a big gap between US and OZ pump prices but the gap seems to be narrowing

I paid 99 cents/litre last night, which works out to approx $4.00/gal. There's no retail biodiesel in my town, but rumors of a big biodiesel manufacturing facility being built just outside of town, so maybe that will change!

I have been filling with dino at the Shell Flying J truck stop in south Calgary for .835/l. The only commercial bio producer I know in the area is slated to be on line in October 2007. They are in High River next to the Cargill plant and plan to have a cardlock.

The Canadian fed and Alberta government have just announced per litre subsidies so I expect commercial bio to sell for less than dino but I don't have any exact price projections yet.

Anyone have a 33 gallon electric water heater for sale?

I think the issue is not necessarily the vegetable oil component (lubricant) of biodiesel but rather the methanol component of the fuel and potential impurities (water and unreacted lye/methanol/fatty acids).

Commercially produced biodiesel which is frequently tested and rigidly manufactured is unlikely to cause a problem in ANY diesel engine. Fuel that is less frequently tested (or untested) and which is less stable CAN (not necessarily will) cause problems down the line.

That's why I just bought a 2 micron filter for my Racor unit.

Good Lord that is a good one. Im not picking on you, but Id like you to go stick your hand in a bottle of Wesson oil. Then tell me whether you think that would lubricate ANYING better than diesel oil!

The answer is big ole turbo (diesel) yes!

Hey, them ain't my words! I was a little surprised but also kind of pleased if the inline pumps like the one on my 3B are ideally suited to bio-diesel. I've got to kind of assume that they know what they are talking about since they are diesel experts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom