3speed and 4speed transfer case noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I heard that the 4speed transfer case gears are cut to lower gear whine over the 3speed. Is that true?

Can you simply swap out a 3speed transfer case for a 4speed?

My 71' 3speed transfer case will howl at highway speeds.

Thanks,
Scott

Chnces are that it is telling you that it needs a new idler gear shaft and bearings.

The 4sp gears are slightly wider, but this only makes them slightly stronger, not necesarily quieter. No, you can't just put a 4sp case on to a 3sp, but you can put the whole 4sp drive train in (from bellhousing, tranny transfer to driveshafts and differential flanges).

Yoh, Pin_Head,

Would that whine be the idler gear shaft from the transmission, the transfer case or both?

IDave

The transfer case idler shaft is the most common source of whine. It can be any bearing/shaft that locates a gear, but these noises in the tranny are often gear specific. My vote for the second most common whine is the 3rd gear main shaft bearing on Toyota 4sp.

Thanks!

I'm sure it isn't me transmission because I'm using a new (well 2 years old now) NV4500 5-speed.

So let me make sure I got this right... The only major differences between the 3sp and 4sp transfer cases is:
1) slightly bigger gears
2) different low gear ratio

And there is no difference in "quietness" between the two.

Thanks,
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom