3sp Manual Shifting Transfercase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 2 3sp transfer cases with vacuum shifters. I was hoping to add a manual twin stick shifter to one, and thought I would get your opinions on it before hand and started looking for the parts.

My reasons for doing it are: Losing the vacuum plumbing and hardware, as well as the firewall shifter and hardware running down the firewall. Having the option to shift the 4wd and Hi-Lo individually.

Only drawbacks I could find was one comment that the manual shifter was louder, why I don't understand but maybe it is.

With the vaccumm actuator, you can shift from HI and LO independant of the 4wd. I'm not sure why you list that as one of your reasons to switch. Also, you can trim(or remove) the guard that limits the shift pattern and gain 2LO. There's no real reason to go with a twin stick, other than for *bling*. The reason that manual linkage setup is noisier than the vaccumm, is due to the fact that the manual setup requires more holes in the floorboard. Do not underestimate the capacity for a 3spd/case to make noise.

I only changed because I needed the space on the firewall.

That makes some sense about the hole in the floor allowing more sound through.

I only changed because I needed the space on the firewall.

I'm putting a chevy motor in it and also adding air conditioning so I was trying to clear as many things from the firewall inside and out as I could. I have always liked the dash access for these controls it's just that there is a ton of linkage hooking it all up. Putting it in the floor seemed like a clean way to handle it.

vacuum

I pulled all that stuff out of my 71 and liked the fact that it cleaned it up so much. Plus I figure not much to maintain with levers eh?

The PO put a 3 on the floor and left the column and all the other stuff in anyway so it was useless at that point unless I rebuilt the old tranny he sent along with it. Now I am going 4 speed anyway!

I'm okay with it but have to admit I cringe a little when I see a nice clean build with that original handle there--it is kinda cool and since so many of us go away from it the few who keep it in good working order will likely increase the value of their rigs in the future. Good on em:steer::steer:

can you take a setup from a later year 3 speed that didn't have the vacuum on it and put that in place of and have it work out fine?

What years did the vacuum actuated T case appear?

Flash

Was used on the 40 series in the USA from 1962-09/71.

In 1972 Toyota moved the transmission control from the steering column to a new casting that attaches to the top of the transmission and allows the shift cane to pass through the floor. At this same time, they also started using the direct-shift linkage for the transfer case, which also passes though the floor.

can you take a setup from a later year 3 speed that didn't have the vacuum on it and put that in place of and have it work out fine?

Welcome.

Yes you can do this. It has been done for years and works well.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom