3FE Rear Main Seal

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhaven, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Cruiserhaven

Cruiserhaven

Media:
    I'm trying to put a new rear main engine seal on a 3FE from a 92' 80 series, but having some difficulty.

Is the a special tool or technique for getting this sucker on - fit is extremely tight and it seems it would need to be stretched out a bit to fit on.

Also, the old seal pretty much disintegrated when I took it off. How squeaky clean does the surface have to be for a new seal to be applied? If there is a little residue from the old seal is that OK?

TIA.

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    The sealing surfaces should be clean and free of surface defects before installation of the new seal. any residual bits could contribute to a premature failure of the new seal.

3. Cruiser Jimmy

Cruiser Jimmy Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Cruiserhaven,

I've just started taking the tranny out to do the RMS this weekend. Will bring down the tranny tomorrow morning.
    I'd like to compare notes after we finish the job: before symtoms, after results.

Agree with Cdan, make sure your crackshaft does not have any burrs or nicks from your seal puller.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.