3FE power steering pump - I need help now! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aggiesdm

***** Regular
Threads
My PS pump finally crapped out and it wasn't able to be reconditioned due to some damage. Anyway, I decided to try a Cardone remanufactured unit. Everything looked great and it bolted up perfectly. Unfortunately, as soon as I started the truck it was spraying PS fluid (dextron transmission fluid) out the back of it in a straight stream. My question is this... The unit came with 2 copper washers and I can't figure out where they were supposed to go? I don't think this had anything to do with the failure, but I can't help but wonder. I looked through the FSM and it never shows/mentions these two washers. I wondered if this was something for another vehicle that utilized this same pump? The PS pump rebuild kit that I bought also included them, so they have to go somewhere...right?

Need help now to determine if I can salvage this thing or have to get a new one. I'm leaving on a hunting trip in a couple of days and need to be able to steer the thing!

Last edited:
The copper washers should go on the pressure line fitting where it attaches to the pump. Doesn't explain your failure, though. I would warranty the pump and hope for better luck on round two.

The copper washers should go on the pressure line fitting where it attaches to the pump. Doesn't explain your failure, though. I would warranty the pump and hope for better luck on round two.

Thanks for the insight. I"ll get it replaced under warranty. Do I need both of the washers or just one? Don't seem like they'd fit, but I'll check it out.

pump...copper washer....pressure line....copper washer.....bolt

Is this yet another part that's discontinued from Toyota?

Or was OEM just not in your budget?

OEM is Gone Johnson.

I don't recall any washers on the high pressure line. It's a flare fitting, not a banjo. Same on the PS box side.

No copper washers. You are right, just a flare fitting. I assume this pump may be used in other Toyota models p with different types of high pressure lines, therefore they include the washers.

Got a refurb unit installed and all seems to be well at this point. Drove her around this afternoon with smooth/quiet steering.

Anyone have a write-up on flushing the PS fluid? I'd like to refresh it

Sounds like all you need to do to flush it is start the truck and let it run...

Seriously though, just disconnect the low pressure line and let the pump do its thing and add fluid as it pumps out...

Sounds like all you need to do to flush it is start the truck and let it run...

Seriously though, just disconnect the low pressure line and let the pump do its thing and add fluid as it pumps out...
Ha! After searching briefly I found several threads on flushing. Sounds pretty easy. I'll get at it ASAP.

It does seem to be doing good, but it has a slight whine to it still. I think there is still a little air in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom