3FE Head Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure sounds like you're not getting fuel.
Exactly. (Not enough fuel, at very least.)
I was worried the old fuel had gummed up my freshly cleaned up injectors...
I'll confirm injector voltage/operation, then pull out a plug to see if it's wet.

@jonheld 12 volts at each injector plug, with one pin at zero -once all three per bank are disconnected. No change in grounding/continuity to ground of the zero volt pin when cranking. 12 pin shows volts while cranking at 11.something.

What should I see on that other pin when the injectors fire, and is a ground against the head correct to detect it?

@jonheld 12 volts at each injector plug, with one pin at zero -once all three per bank are disconnected. No change in grounding/continuity to ground of the zero volt pin when cranking. 12 pin shows volts while cranking at 11.something.

What should I see on that other pin when the injectors fire, and is a ground against the head correct to detect it?
That's a very confusing couple of statements.

Each injector gets a constant +12 with the key in the ON position on pin 2 (black wire/green stripe).
The ECU sends logic low PULSES to pin 1 of each to fire the injectors. If there was a constant ground, then the injectors would be dumping fuel into the intake.

You probably won't be able to read the pulses on a standard DMM, but I wouldn't expect to see a hard ground on pin 1. Again, that would keep the injector coil energized and fuel would be pouring out.

Also, keep in mind that when measuring voltage on the injector connectors with the injectors in circuit, I would expect to see +12 on both pins as you're measuring across a coil. The ECU will ground 1 side (pin 1) for a brief moment to fire each bank. Again, the ECU pulses (logic low) the banks of injectors to fire them.

Also, keep in mind that when measuring voltage on the injector connectors with the injectors in circuit, I would expect to see +12 on both pins as you're measuring across a coil. The ECU will ground 1 side (pin 1) for a brief moment to fire each bank. Again, the ECU pulses (logic low) the banks of injectors to fire them.
Sorry for the confusion and my wording, I'll clarify.
I did see 12v on both pins of each injector until the third injector was disconnected.

When cranking it drops to 11ish, which sounds like it should be fine.

So I misunderstood you, then: It's not a true grounding, but a logic low.
The question remains of how to detect this. I'll Google it, and inspect accordingly.

I'll also confirm the harness has provided continuity on these yellow/white+blue wires back to the ECU.

So I misunderstood you, then: It's not a true grounding, but a logic low.
The question remains of how to detect this. I'll Google it, and inspect accordingly.
I would use an oscilloscope in order to see the pulses. A DMM will not react quickly enough.
That's easy for me because I have one ;)

You should be able to hear an injector if you place a hose to your ear and the other end on the injector or fuel rail while cranking. I have never tried this, but it sounds reasonable to me.

I would use an oscilloscope in order to see the pulses. A DMM will not react quickly enough.
That's easy for me because I have one ;)

You should be able to hear an injector if you place a hose to your ear and the other end on the injector or fuel rail while cranking. I have never tried this, but it sounds reasonable to me.
Thanks, that's what I'm finding.

I have a few ideas of what I can try to detect physical operation:
1. Mechanic stethoscope
2. Feel with finger per the FSM

And for injector signal:
3. Test light/noid light at connector
4. Plug in known-good injector and feel for operation
5. Test light at connection to ECU

Test light fires on each injector connector while cranking.

So it's one of the injectors, then?

I'll pulse each injector with my tester, to confirm they all at least operate.

So... Most of the injectors I cleaned in an ultrasonic for half an hour and then backflushed/flushed with carb cleaner (while pulsing), now do not fire strong.
I hooked up my injector tester to each of them, and the first 4 injectors all required my mechanic's stethoscope pressed against them to hear any clicking. Even then, it was faint.

Injector #6, however, can be heard pulsing from across the engine bay.

I'll remove the intake and fuel rail tonight after work.

I really hope it's just varnish from the old gas, and I don't have borked injectors. They ohmed out fine, so I'm a bit puzzled at what could be causing the vast difference in sound from injector to injector now that they're installed -if not something impeding their mechanical function.

Last edited:
It's confirmed, they are only actuating faintly.
I've got them in the ultrasonic again, maybe they'll loosen up with the heat and detergent.

New pintle caps and basket filters are a week out, so I've got time to see if they'll perform again.

It's confirmed, they are only actuating faintly.
I've got them in the ultrasonic again, maybe they'll loosen up with the heat and detergent.

New pintle caps and basket filters are a week out, so I've got time to see if they'll perform again.
I think these are the guys that come recommended by the forum. Not very expensive and quick turn around.

I think these are the guys that come recommended by the forum. Not very expensive and quick turn around.
Thanks again for all the diagnostic help, Jon. I'll call them and a few others right now.

Not to forget @BILT4ME's help either!

Glad to have a supportive community to lean on when needed.
I just hope I can give back in a meaningful way.

20200722_225901.jpg

Well that certainly looks promising.
Haha, it runs! There's a little mechanic shop in SLC that does injectors.
He was doing brake lines on a recently-purchased-for~$50K FJ40, and had me come look at it when I picked up the injectors.

I got home, put it back together. Set the timing, did the cam break-in, and changed the oil.

Did I mention that it RUNS!?! :D

Last edited:
Haha, it runs! There's a little mechanic shop in SLC that does injectors.
He was doing brake lines on a recently-purchased-for~$50K FJ40, and had me come look at it when I picked up the injectors.

I got home, put it back together. Set the timing, did the cam break-in, and changed the oil.

Did I mention that it RUNS!?! :D
Reading this 3 year old thread makes me really miss my old 3fe fj80. One day Ill get another. so happens a fj80 with a blown head gasket is for sale really close to me... tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom