3FE exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know what would be the better decision? A aftermarket exhaust or a factory replacement for a 1991 TLC 3FE.

My exhaust has more leaks that than the CIA..

A Mix

I think you will find a direct factory replacement for your 91 a pricey endeavor. I had to have mine redone in my 92 and did a mix of factory replacement, custom (read generic pipe) and even threw in a Ford muffler because it was 3x cheaper. Does the job just fine and the shop tucked that muffler up nice and tight for me so I wouldn't drag it.

Does any manufacture make a replacement exhaust?

FWIW my truck is going to be the prototype for a 316 stainless steel downpipe/cats that is being made by Crum's Custom Welding in Jersey. He is not ready for production yet, but will b in a few months after he gets some other projects out of the way. He will have bolt on solutions for the 3FE FJ62 and FJ80 as well as the 1FZ-FE.

Unfortunately none of this stuff is ready yet. But it is coming...if we all live long enough.

I have a Flowmaster super 44, I really recommend it. It gives you a great rumble around 2500rpm and in the trails sounds even better

jonheld said:
FWIW my truck is going to be the prototype for a 316 stainless steel downpipe/cats that is being made by Crum's Custom Welding in Jersey. He is not ready for production yet, but will b in a few months after he gets some other projects out of the way. He will have bolt on solutions for the 3FE FJ62 and FJ80 as well as the 1FZ-FE.

Unfortunately none of this stuff is ready yet. But it is coming...if we all live long enough.

So from the manifold connection to the flange past the Cats, with o2 bungs? Got any idea what the price point might be?

I have toyed with cutting the pipes in front of the cats, adding a 2 into 1 pipe so that a single cat could be installed flat to gain some clearance and help with slider fabrication. Do you think he might want to try something like that? A 2 into 1 with bungs forward of the convergence with provision for a single Cat?

Any ruff idea about how much the Crum's exhaust is going to be?

So from the manifold connection to the flange past the Cats, with o2 bungs? Got any idea what the price point might be?

I have toyed with cutting the pipes in front of the cats, adding a 2 into 1 pipe so that a single cat could be installed flat to gain some clearance and help with slider fabrication. Do you think he might want to try something like that? A 2 into 1 with bungs forward of the convergence with provision for a single Cat?

His would be an exact duplicate of the OEM system, but in 316. He is still looking into SS cats to offer with the kit that fit in the OEM locations. O2 bungs will be welded in the stock locations.

He is still playing around with fitment/shape/size of the cat or cats. I'm not certain if he will retain the OEM y-pipe after the cats. It may be more cost effective to use a single cat.

He doesn't have final costs for the whole kit yet, but it's safe to say that it will be significantly more expensive than going with downpipes and cats from discountconverters.com. That's what's on my truck now and that's what prompted this project. Mine are 4 years old and rotting out.

Crum's parts are not meant for the cheap quick fix. They are meant to last the life of the vehicle.

are you trying to to do from the headers or cat back ??

bc man a fre has a great header setup

if not, than have a muffler shop cut at the Y pipe after the catys and remove that awfull muffler and slam 2.5" piping with a magnaflow/flowmaster/etc.

mine sounds awesome i have 2.5" piping after the stock catys and a magnaflow and it sounds great ! loud when u want it and quiet when ur just chillin

ps, go to santa ana im sure u'll find a shop for super cheap that has quality work

I am looking to replace everything if I can get good quality for a good price. I know it is not going to be cheap. I just want to get my moneys worth. If I am not going to get any performance out of a custom or aftermarket replacement then I will just go with the stock replacement.

What do the experts think?

Well, as I think was mentioned above, going with OEM exhaust parts will likely end up costing more than having a custom one bent up. If there is a good shop close to you, then it would be worth your time to just go down and talk to them, maybe get a quote. My exhaust is the next major investment I will make. At the very least, I would look at replacing the monster stock muffler.

I am looking at having the front collector pipes re-worked for a 2 into 1 design and adding a single cat mounted flat to eliminate the hang down under the door so that I can work towards a good set of sliders.

So in short, I vote custom but not for performance but for enhanced fit.

My exhaust was done by a local from the downpipes back. Cost $300 with the magnaflow and 2.5 pipe. Check your local shops and see what it will run you. Don't get too caught up with the whole mandrel bend vs crush bend debate, it really doesn't make that much of a difference on a NA vehicle and the price is genearally not worth it. If you do want something fancy however go to a place that does race cars ( think dirt track ) these guys are generally the masters of fabbing up custom exhaust.

I have a 1992 FJ80 3-FE. I had a mom n pop shop see up a couple leaks and throw on a knock off muffler. Im looking to freshen up the entire exhaust system. Just wanted to see if this ever came to fruition.

I have a 1992 FJ80 3-FE. I had a mom n pop shop see up a couple leaks and throw on a knock off muffler. Im looking to freshen up the entire exhaust system. Just wanted to see if this ever came to fruition.
Wow. Blast from the past.
No, this never happened. The best bet is still Bosal for a complete direct fit system.

anyone thought about ditching all the bends and just just running it down the driver side to a turn down right in front of the tire? i live in a non emissions area and was thinking i might just build a 2-1 right where the cats are and just go strait back and turn down infront of the tire.

anyone thought about ditching all the bends and just just running it down the driver side to a turn down right in front of the tire? i live in a non emissions area and was thinking i might just build a 2-1 right where the cats are and just go strait back and turn down infront of the tire.
lack of back pressure will most likely results in lost of torque. This engine doesn't like to rev. so low end torque is key. Also in front of the rear tire like the G-wagon? How about clearance when rock crawling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom