3F Alternator Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
So @MES posted up his alternator swap... and it proved very timely. I believe my existing alternator, with external voltage regulator, has been dying a slow death for some time. It came to a head on our camping trip to Coronado National Forest in early May. Our daily drives/explorations weren't charging the battery enough to keep my fridge and camp lighting running... and my air compressor couldn't air our tires back up... so frustrating.

The carbureted 3F's are, in many ways, very similar to the carb'd 2F's on North American 60-series. Many of the 3FE upgrades that get put on the 2F 60-series and late 40-series apply to our 3F's. That includes alternators. The Alternator Altering thread in the 60-series section, along with Rudi's (@bj40green) thread on external voltage regulators in the 40-series section, helped me develop a plan for the upgrade. Coupled with the harness solution available from @Coolerman, and it's a rather simple and effective upgrade.

The 80-series with 3FE had two alternators, an 80-amp and a 90-amp. The 80-amp generally bolts right on to a 3F (and 2F). The 90-amp requires modification or a different mounting bracket. @MES built a hybrid from the 90-amp using the case from an 80-amp and made it work. Very nice.

The wiring diagram for an externally regulated alternator on my 1991 FJ75 is as follows:
379externalvr.jpg

My plugs at the alternator and the regulator matched in terms of wire colors:
404altplug.jpg

405vrplug.jpg

And here's the diagram for internally regulated including the upgraded round plug pin arrangement:
378interalvr.jpg

I worked up some pre-work sketches to reflect my plan. Cuts to be made as follows:
406cutharness.jpg

And splicing of the new harness as follows:
407coolerman.jpg

This is a nice upgrade for my truck at least. My stock alternator (with external regulator) is only 45 amps. I grabbed a used 80-amp alternator from CruiserParts...
375alternator.jpg

And I grabbed a pre-terminated plug from @Coolerman.
376harness1.jpg

377harness2.jpg

I untaped the harness, cut as planned on the wiring diagram, and found the B wire had some well-done lettering on it... something @Onur would appreciate me nerding over... is the 1991 the year? My truck IS a '91. I'm curious if the dots and diamonds mean anything. Or just decorative.
414yazaki.jpg

I use 3M closed-barrel butt connectors crimped with a ratcheting crimping tool. I finished off with heat shrink with internal adhesive.
411butt3m.jpg

412crimped.jpg

413heatshrink.jpg

I ordered the harness from Coolerman too late... so I had to create a temporary connection using spade connectors. I had a camping trip to head out for...
410tempwire.jpg

Then the used alternator crapped out on me within a day... CruiserParts is making it right, they immediately sent another as well as a prepaid return postage label. But this was a further cramp on my camping plans. So I bought a reman Duralast unit from Autozone (the only thing in town the same day). I swapped the original pulley and fan onto the new alternator which meant no modifying/cutting/grinding anything to get this in.
408reman.jpg

This is working great.

So much space on the driver's fender area now...
409space.jpg

And a pic of the final arrangement with the proper connector spliced in. I need to do some final taping on the harness.
415connected.jpg

Awesome information. I was able to upgrade a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ70 3F alternator from 45 amps with external regulator to FJ80 Alternator 80 amps with internal regulator.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom