3D Printing and GX 460 parts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
lexusgxor.com
I posted this over on CL as well. If anyone has anything custom for their 460 and is willing to share... I'd like to print it :)
================================
Surely many in this group have 3D printers... I finally decided to dive into one.

I've been playing around with a new Prusa Mini+ manufactured in the Czech Republic.

I hadn't heard of of Prusa before but frankly wasn't in the market for a 3D printer.. a friend turned me onto them.

I've got a lot to learn but just having fun printing some random stuff out.

I thought it may be good to start up a thread for parts developed specifically for our rigs.

I'd like print out a few 460 models I have seen.

Lexus GX460 by lynts - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3157747
Lexus GX460 free 3d model - download obj file - https://3dmag.org/en/market/item/6070/
Lexus GX460 3D Model - 3D CAD Browser - https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/3d-model/lexus-gx460

I saw the awning bracket project here.. I'll have to look back in threads to see if this was done by a CL or IH8mud member or not.

Awning brackets for Lexus GX 460 stock roof rails by 1974Boler - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5023748

Some 3D printing libraries of misc items

Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects - https://www.thingiverse.com/

Discover STL files for 3D printing ideas and high-quality 3D printer models. | MyMiniFactory - https://www.myminifactory.com/

Cults・Download free 3D printer models・STL, OBJ, 3MF, CAD - https://cults3d.com/en

3D Models for Professionals :: TurboSquid - https://www.turbosquid.com/

Printables - https://www.printables.com/

screenshot_2023_01_07_at_1_10_54_pm_d7f23a26d7e17243eae65eecf1b8687ba8dc531b.png

Hopefully more people start designing for our rigs! I’m all about open source resources for all!!!

Wrong vehicle but I just printed this for my friends 60 series. It’s a mount for the new tachometer now that he has a higher redline with the LS swap. (I did not design it, believe it came from MUD though)

I am hoping to design some things for the GX but I have a printer, or 3.. so far, all my designs are for skids and such, outputted to the CNC plasma.

9D485610-E9AA-4C66-9AC0-84B9667416A6.jpeg
80FD15C2-5EAC-4BE2-BF49-A4F74208AF70.jpeg

Good on ya Acrad! I've been using 3D printed parts since the late 1990's. I built my first 3D FDM printer about 4 years ago, have since given it away to a young high schooler to use as a learning too. I now have a AnyCubic Photon Mono X 4k resin printer. The resolution is astounding! I have a vintage 1932 Lionel engine that hasn't run in probably 50 years because the 2 spur gears that transfer from the electric motor to the drive wheels had a bunch of broken teeth.
With my SolidWorks CAD software I able to reverse engineer the gears and after not running for probably 50 years, it now runs around the old Lionel 3 rail track like a champ!
Looking at getting another FDM printer to go with my AnyCubic. FEM and resin printing both have their uses which don't always cross over to each other very well.
Example, one thing I've been wanting to do is 3D print an RC off road vehicle, but I want something that is designed well, works great and looks authentic. Since you've purchased a Prusa, you may have seen this already: Home - 3dsets.com - https://3dsets.com/
When I get the next FDM printer, I want to print/make the LandRover Camel Trophy truck with ALL the accessories!

One thing you can print Acrad, are Lexus logos for your rig! Or a 3D printed name (whatever you've named your vehicle) and put it on the back hatch.
There was a Toyota dealership a few years ago that if you sent them in your Toyota vehicle year, type and I think license number along with what you've named your vehicle, they'd send you an adhesive backed 3D name of your car to put on the back! My wife, daughter and I all had it on the back of our cars.

Last edited:
There was a Toyota dealership a few years ago that if you sent them in your Toyota vehicle year, type and I think license number along with what you've named your vehicle, they'd send you an adhesive backed 3D name of your car to put on the back! My wife, daughter and I all had it on the back of our cars.
That's awesome. I think great a great idea. Any chance one of you could do this? Something that matches the GX460 badge style, size and font? I'd have to remove the "Lexus" badge off of my 2010 but that's no biggie.

I printed out a fan mount to put two spal 5.2” fans in front of the OEM transmission cooler. Super sturdy but my hole pattern was a bit off. Will post it once I get a final design completed along with the supporting analysis. It does seem to work pretty well though I haven’t tested it heavily. Idea is to provide about 25 mph worth of airflow through the cooler even at low speeds

I printed out a fan mount to put two spal 5.2” fans in front of the OEM transmission cooler. Super sturdy but my hole pattern was a bit off. Will post it once I get a final design completed along with the supporting analysis. It does seem to work pretty well though I haven’t tested it heavily. Idea is to provide about 25 mph worth of airflow through the cooler even at low speeds
Great idea! Looking forward to the pic's.
Hope you didn't used PLA as your printed material. If you're ever in really hot climates, you may melt your mount.

Great idea! Looking forward to the pic's.
Hope you didn't used PLA as your printed material. If you're ever in really hot climates, you may melt your mount.
Nylon :). R2M speaks wisdom. One of our new engineers printed out some brackets out of low temperature resin a few years back and they warped during shipping in the summer.

Reactions: r2m
Print material is often overlooked. I agree that PLA is not right for anything that’s going to get hot. For the same reasons PLA actually makes a good investment material for casting.
There are printers that do wax and other substrates but for price of material and the printer PLA is great. I’d love to cast some parts for the rig, never done that only sculptures.
Here are some images of my Digital Fabtication class I taught last semester. We did PLA printed patterns, invested in Ceramic Shell, then burned out the prints/wax and cast in aluminum.
It’s a fun process. Could also be done in bronze or iron, or any other metal.
67FFE4B3-EA06-4BCF-A5CE-A708CDDEA60F.jpeg
3AC30733-FD46-4855-AB80-00F90730F86F.jpeg
69DB3DE2-B2B0-4A32-B166-C714890C6BD1.jpeg
1ADA8186-A598-46B4-95C9-2014EE0FC42A.jpeg

Print material is often overlooked. I agree that PLA is not right for anything that’s going to get hot. For the same reasons PLA actually makes a good investment material for casting.
There are printers that do wax and other substrates but for price of material and the printer PLA is great. I’d love to cast some parts for the rig, never done that only sculptures.
Here are some images of my Digital Fabtication class I taught last semester. We did PLA printed patterns, invested in Ceramic Shell, then burned out the prints/wax and cast in aluminum.
It’s a fun process. Could also be done in bronze or iron, or any other metal.
View attachment 3221800View attachment 3221801View attachment 3221803View attachment 3221804
I believe the jewelry guys use that method too and even with very fine detail. Albeit, they're printing with a resin printer for the very intricate details.

Reactions: LWC
I believe the jewelry guys use that method too and even with very fine detail. Albeit, they're printing with a resin printer for the very intricate details.
Would love a resin printer, I think formlab sells a wax investment resin for their printers. They are just so small, and a larger format machine is crazy expensive. I have a GMax that can print 18x18x24 inches, but pla and abs only. It was cheap and still like 5k. For my application of sculpture, larger is preffered to fine detail.

That being said, I would LOVE to cast something for the GX, so I’ll throw it out here: to anyone, send me any file, even if it’s a prototype, I’ll print and cast it, and test fit if possible.

Wow, that's quite a bed slinger!
The resin printers are starting to get really cheap. I have an AnyCubic Photon Mono X that I paid over $500 for and now the Photon Mono X2 (larger) goes for ~$339 on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B0B77643CVWe have four FormLabs at my office and I used them constantly. They are very easy to use, never really ever need to calibrate or mess with. Almost everything is automated. Down side is they are expensive and although they have a great selection of resins, the resin is also expensive and it's suggested to get the wash and curing machines too. It makes life easier that what I have at home.

Wow, that's quite a bed slinger!
The resin printers are starting to get really cheap. I have an AnyCubic Photon Mono X that I paid over $500 for and now the Photon Mono X2 (larger) goes for ~$339 on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B0B77643CVWe have four FormLabs at my office and I used them constantly. They are very easy to use, never really ever need to calibrate or mess with. Almost everything is automated. Down side is they are expensive and although they have a great selection of resins, the resin is also expensive and it's suggested to get the wash and curing machines too. It makes life easier that what I have at home.
I wonder if those resin printers can print investment material, like the formlabs?
Can you mix and match resins? Do they sell proprietary cartridges like formlabs?

I wonder if those resin printers can print investment material, like the formlabs?
Can you mix and match resins? Do they sell proprietary cartridges like formlabs?
Yes, you can mix and match most resins. Example: I can mix Siraya Tech Tenacious which is a flexible, very durable resin with a resin of a different color or even a more rigid material. So if you're printing one of those game warrior guys holding a sword, if you print it just out of rigid and drop the model, the sword will break off. If you mix the two, you'll still have a rigid model but if it drops, it won't break.

I've been building my own design of a Settle's of Catan game pieces in SolidWorks to 3D print on that Anycubic printer. I have all my resins and also dyes for different colors. There are several Youtube videos guys mixing and matching resins, like Uncle Jessie, and 3D Printing Nerd. Check out their channels.
So you can use pretty much any resin that cures at a wavelength between 385 to 405 nm. You may need to adjust some of your printing parameters like how long each slice cures, etc. But most all the resins and even the major printer companies will give advice for all that. I know Anycubic has a site that shows all the resins and printing properties. It's a living user contributed spread sheet.

Yes, you can mix and match most resins. Example: I can mix Siraya Tech Tenacious which is a flexible, very durable resin with a resin of a different color or even a more rigid material. So if you're printing one of those game warrior guys holding a sword, if you print it just out of rigid and drop the model, the sword will break off. If you mix the two, you'll still have a rigid model but if it drops, it won't break.

I've been building my own design of a Settle's of Catan game pieces in SolidWorks to 3D print on that Anycubic printer. I have all my resins and also dyes for different colors. There are several Youtube videos guys mixing and matching resins, like Uncle Jessie, and 3D Printing Nerd. Check out their channels.
So you can use pretty much any resin that cures at a wavelength between 385 to 405 nm. You may need to adjust some of your printing parameters like how long each slice cures, etc. But most all the resins and even the major printer companies will give advice for all that. I know Anycubic has a site that shows all the resins and printing properties. It's a living user contributed spread sheet.
Cool I’ll look into that. Seems like resin printing has gotten way more opensourse lately which I like.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom