3B vs 3BII (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine has a built in power steering pump :) that is exactly where the LHD steering box is :(

As I understand it, the later 3B has 5 camshaft bearings as opposed to earlier 3-bearing cams.

I think Canadian BJ60's all had inline injection pumps. The 3BII I have seen have all been rotary pumps, a slight drawback in my opinion. It makes it a pain to retrofit in a BJ60 too!

OK, not sure about the 3B to 3B II, BUT from the B to the B II you get:
5 bearing cam
rotary IP
piston oil squirters
no block/piston liners
no cam follower inspection cover
built in vacuum pump
butterfly in inlet manifold
fuel cut-off solenoide on IP- easy as piss ( no edic or whatever it's called)
no centrifugal cam advance
Streatch head bolts ( do not re-use, but fit normal one's if you can get them, consult manual or forum for torque setting, if in doubt)
Better exhaust manifold. not flipable, but can be exchanged for a 13bt ( ???) but definately 14BT manifold.

possibly one or two other things.

Nice little engine, and enough meat to put in liners, with or without fire rings if you want to.
G

Last edited:
Early 3B-I have a 3 bearing cam. Some have inline and some have rotary pumps.
Later 3B-I's have a 5 bearing cam. Some have inline and some have rotary pumps.

3B-II's are an entirely different animal. 5 bearing cam, roller lifters, rotary pump, Y shaped header-like exhaust manifold, geared vacuum pump on timing cover, no lifter/side cover on block etc.

My '85, in addition to some of the mods above, such as 5-bearing cam, also has separate thrust washers on the mains vs the thrusts being one-piece with the #3 shells. Externally, there are more bolt holes for the engine mounts, allowing for more positions. BTW, mine has an in-line pump.

I'm wondering if you could use the cam and roller lifters in a 5 bearing 3B block...

alfin pistons in the later model aswell asbigger crank bearing caps and moore gussets for them with a thicker casting and the timing gears have finer teeth

Resurrecting an old thread. I have a 3bii in a BJ75 that is missing the oil dipstick. Can't seem to find a part number for it either. Anyone know if the 3b and 3bii would have the same dipstick?

Though I heard the 3B II doesn't have removable sleeves as well.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have a 3bii in a BJ75 that is missing the oil dipstick. Can't seem to find a part number for it either. Anyone know if the 3b and 3bii would have the same dipstick?
I'll check tomorrow on part # and if the two are the same.

I cant see 1990 BJ75 in the parts diagram but it has this part number for these years 83-95 and these engines B, 11B, 14B*, 3B in the landcruiser ,dyna, coaster and toyotace. I think the asterisk on the 14B means except the BU73 Coaster.
15301-56050 (08/1988 - 09/1989)

The 3B is 15301-56040 from my 1985BJ60
The 3BII is 15301-56050 from my 1989BJ75
Very slight difference on the oil level markings on the dipstick.

IMG_1095[1].JPG

IMG_1096[1].JPG

Are the tubes they sit in the same height above the block?

Are the tubes they sit in the same height above the block?
Not sure but look the same. The oil pan looks familiar, now you got me wondering.........
The question was on the dipstick been the same as a 3B and part#

When I was looking through the parts diagrams I couldnt actually identify which engines were 3B ll, they all seem to be listed as 3B

The stick that ends with part number 50 is longer than the 40. There is also a 60, I wonder if thats longer again? So many things to ponder:smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom