3B valve mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yup, i totally agree
but i know one way FOR SURE it will seal..... oem, just sayin.
i didnt measure s*** when i did mine and was ignorant of the fact the teiken was any different from oem.
just wanted to pass on what i didnt know at the time i did mine like a dumb****

Agree with the above, 1000% go with OEM, any experienced 3B guy will tell you this. Here is an aftermarket gasket that lasted me about 50,000 km. Trust me you don't want to do this job over again

IMG_7161.JPG

Agree with the above, 1000% go with OEM, any experienced 3B guy will tell you this. Here is an aftermarket gasket that lasted me about 50,000 km. Trust me you don't want to do this job over again

View attachment 3272920
I guess my question is, why would Radd Cruisers continue to sell a gasket claimed to be identical to OEM, if there are known issues?

I guess my question is, why would Radd Cruisers continue to sell a gasket claimed to be identical to OEM, if there are known issues?

I would be okay with running rad cruisers head gasket, he said he runs a aftermarket gasket on his 13-BT for a couple years with 15psi boost. I have one too.

I would be okay with running rad cruisers head gasket, he said he runs a aftermarket gasket on his 13-BT for a couple years with 15psi boost. I have one too.
I'm going to try it and report back. My measurements make me think it will be ok. The gasket is thicker than the protrusion, so it will crush a little before the liners hit the head. Just a question of being enough crush. It's only .005" ish.

well.... they dont claim its identical, they actual specify its not, ie the posted thickness being thinner.
I trust toyota's engineering not teiken...
But you could always just cut some off of your liner protrusion, then you know youll be safe with the teiken

Mine crushed a bit then bottomed out on the liner, unbeknownst to me, until i drove it and it pressurized my coolant system, and tried to overheat.
The only thing that saved my engine was the fact i had autometer gauges that read actual degrees F coolant temp and i was monitoring it like a hawk and pulled over to let it cool, the factory temp gauge never moved AT ALL, so just be careful when testing it the first time, check your coolant overflow A BUNCH OF TIMES if you dont have a real proper coolant gauge

Last edited:
well.... they dont claim its identical, they actual specify its not, ie the posted thickness being thinner.
I trust toyota's engineering not teiken...
But you could always just cut some off of your liner protrusion, then you know youll be safe with the teiken

Mine crushed a bit then bottomed out on the liner, unbeknownst to me, until i drove it and it pressurized my coolant system, and tried to overheat.
The only thing that saved my engine was the fact i had autometer gauges that read actual degrees F coolant temp and i was monitoring it like a hawk and pulled over to let it cool, the factory temp gauge never moved AT ALL, so just be careful when testing it the first time, check your coolant overflow A BUNCH OF TIMES if you dont have a real proper coolant gauge
If you scroll up and read the page on the Radd Cruisers site, it says the gaskets are identical and there is no mention of a difference. Unless somebody has a crush spec for Toyota... I'm not sure how I would cut the liners down without pulling the engine, which I'm trying to avoid.

"Visually this gasket is almost indistinguishable from the Toyota factory gasket offering; the only real difference I can see is the name printed on this one."

I don't think you can assume a Toyota gasket will seal either, without knowing how much liner protrusion you need. And what the crushed thickness is.

Ok, so the Toyota gasket is 1.52mm vs the Telkin which is 1.4mm. That's crushed thickness presumably. About .005" difference. Now, how do I shave my liners down .005" with the engine in the truck....

How about reading ALL the details like
"Gasket once installed and then removed will show that it will have compressed or crushed to about 0.055" (1.397mm). Ensure your cylinder protrusion is such that there is enough compression on the gasket to seal properly. Talk to your engine machinist about using an MLS head gasket so your machine work is performed properly"

Then slap it together man,
Like I said I'm just trying to use my experience to help someone, if you dont want want that help then stop defending your decision and just put it together

How about reading ALL the details like
"Gasket once installed and then removed will show that it will have compressed or crushed to about 0.055" (1.397mm). Ensure your cylinder protrusion is such that there is enough compression on the gasket to seal properly. Talk to your engine machinist about using an MLS head gasket so your machine work is performed properly"
That still doesn't say what you've been saying it does. The Toyota thickness isn't measured, and no difference is mentioned.

You yourself just listed the thicker gasket dimension of the toyota gasket.......(from radd cruisers site)
So now you're contradicting yourself
So what exactly are you trying to say...... that toyota doesnt know what they are doing? get a grip
Just go read the site again... SLOWLY (and how about twice) to make sure you know everything, then do whatever you want.
I dont need to know what you decide

Its funny when you try to lead a horse to water and the horse denies that water exists

Last edited:
You yourself just listed the thicker gasket dimension of the toyota gasket.......(from radd cruisers site)
So now you're contradicting yourself
So what exactly are you trying to say...... that toyota doesnt know what they are doing? get a grip
Just go read the site again... SLOWLY (and how about twice) to make sure you know everything, then do whatever you want.
I dont need to know what you decide

Its funny when you try to lead a horse to water and the horse denies that water exists
Well, you keep saying things that aren't true, such as your claim that the site says you'll have a problem with the gasket if you don't cut the liners. That diminishes my confidence in your opinions and advice.

i didnt say that chief
i said it specifically tells you to have your machinist check liner protrusion to make sure its right for that gasket.......that is THINNER

Last edited:
instaed of trying to make an argument about semantics , take it for what it is, someone trying to look out for another mud member who owns a 3b.
Like how about 'Oh thanks i didnt realize that gasket was thinner, ill do my do-diligence'

Last edited:
instaed of trying to make an argument about semantics , take it for what it is, someone trying to look out for another mud member who owns a 3b.
Like how about 'Oh thanks i didnt realize that gasket was thinner, ill do my do-diligence'
Ok. I appreciate the feedback. You are correct in that I should have read a little more carefully. You also stated you didn't measure anything on yours, so it's far from conclusive that the head gasket was the issue. I like to try and be scientific about these things. I felt like you jumped to the conclusion the thinner gasket was to blame, when there were a number of other variables not accounted for. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom