3B valve mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like 3B head and the number ending with 58010 may indicate something around 82-83. Some people said that internal cooling passage may be different.
It is compatible.
If this one have no cracks, I would say it is definitely better IMHO.
With cracks, if you drive around town, it may be ok. If you plan a long road trip,well not so good.
A head shop can change the valve seat, they are in cast iron. (Not available from Toyota)
58010 is the cracked head. I can't seem to find anything about the other number. The 58010 has deeper valve seats and a bigger relief between valves.

why would you not just use the extra head with the valves that are in it....
how is it different

why would you not just use the extra head with the valves that are in it....
how is it different
Valve seats are not as deep, and the relief between valves is smaller. But the valves are the same size... And it isn't cracked as far as I can tell. The 58010 valve seats look beefier. I guess that's the main thing I don't like, the seats look like little rings compared to the other one.

See photo

PXL_20230228_224747217~2.jpg

PXL_20230228_224754832~2.jpg

id run the uncracked one with the valves that are suppossed to be with it, i wouldnt be worried about the seat difference... it worked already and the other one ate the valves...so thats a strike against it and its cracked...strike 2. just sayin
just get the good one skimmed at the machine shop... its cheap enough

If the relief (recess) between valve is smaller, mean less material removed. Less chance for developing cracks? This head might have been repaired previously? There was some aftermarket some time…

I asked so many people about the purpose of these relief, I still don’t know! When the machinist ask me if I wanted to recreate them on my freshly repaired head…I say no, my head is just flat.

The contact between valves and the seat is not really wide, you may use some lapping compounds and see the contact pattern.

This head should be ok

i believe they are for enhancing flow in and out of the valves as the piston is pretty close to the head at top dead centre, but they also have the effect of crating a hot point where there is less metal and helps it to crack
just my opinion tho

Im interested in how you got your head repaired, no one would do that for me here and i have a very slightly cracked original head id still like to repair

i believe they are for enhancing flow in and out of the valves as the piston is pretty close to the head at top dead centre, but they also have the effect of crating a hot point where there is less metal and helps it to crack
just my opinion tho

Im interested in how you got your head repaired, no one would do that for me here and i have a very slightly cracked original head id still like to repair

3B will crack heads, like a fat kid eats at a buffet.

Even if that thing is cracked, I would just put er on and run it. These heads are becoming hard to replace with no suitable replacements.

i replaced mine....
but they had to cut the valves holes bigger for my application
i wasnt going to chance it with the extra boost pressure
IMG_20220810_190316[1].jpg

IMG_20220811_181839[1].jpg

cruiserparts
but really i think a guy could just order the small valve 3b head himself from an offshore seller for less and have the valves re-cut by any machine shop

cruiserparts
but really i think a guy could just order the small valve 3b head himself from an offshore seller for less and have the valves re-cut by any machine shop
I wonder if my spare is actually a small valve head that was milled out for big valves? That might explain why the seats are different. I reckon I'll run it, and see how it goes. Just got my head gasket and new precups from Radd Cruisers.

I wonder if my spare is actually a small valve head that was milled out for big valves? That might explain why the seats are different. I reckon I'll run it, and see how it goes. Just got my head gasket and new precups from Radd Cruisers.
now that you mention it, what HG did you get?

fun fact, if you use that hg you have to cut down your liner protrusion (fire ring) to get it to seal properly as it is too thin compared to the toyota one....
ask me how i know
i did my HG twice
buy the toyota one man,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news
(i can send you pics of the teiken one hanging on my wall with the visible evidence of how it DIDNT seal up.... i wasnt happy)

Last edited:
fun fact, if you use that hg you have to cut down your liner protrusion (fire ring) to get it to seal properly as it is too thin compared to the toyota one....
ask me how i know
i did my HG twice
buy the toyota one man,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news
(i can send you pics of the teiken one hanging on my wall with the visible evidence of how it DIDNT seal up.... i wasnt happy)
Did you happen to measure the liner protrusion? That would give me an idea if I'll have a problem.

On radd cruisers site if you scroll down on the description of the HG it says how thick it is and that you'll likely have an issue if you dont measure and cut your liner protrusion, and it also says the thickness of the toyota gasket under its description and coincidentally the toyota one is thicker by about the amount of known gasket crush, so the teiken one requires the liners to be cut by *around* that much.
My head bottomed out on the liner fire ring protrusion and didnt get the proper crush on the gasket and didnt seal because of that.
Just use the toyota one, you're only throwing away $80....
I dont think i'd want the head any closer to TDC anyway

if i remember correctly known gasket crush is around .2mm, them gaskets are about .12 mm different.....

On radd cruisers site if you scroll down on the description of the HG it says how thick it is and that you'll likely have an issue if you dont measure and cut your liner protrusion, and it also says the thickness of the toyota gasket under its description and coincidentally the toyota one is thicker by about the amount of known gasket crush, so the teiken one requires the liners to be cut by *around* that much.
My head bottomed out on the liner fire ring protrusion and didnt get the proper crush on the gasket and didnt seal because of that.
Just use the toyota one, you're only throwing away $80....
I dont think i'd want the head any closer to TDC anyway

if i remember correctly known gasket crush is around .2mm, them gaskets are about .12 mm different.....
That's not what I see on the site. It says crushed thickness .055", and that this gasket is identical to the Toyota gasket.

where i got the gasket crush from was a real world post where a guy measured before and after....
and proof is in the pudding, mine didnt seal, take it for what its worth, roll the dice my man.
She didnt work for me and the radd cruisers site specifically mentions the fact of making sure to have your machinist measure for the new teiken gasket to make sure liner protrusion is correct for the aftermarket thin gasket..... evidenced by the fact toyotas is thicker.....and the fact mine failed.
Just tryin to save you 8hrs extra work.... and at the measly cost of $89
I aint tryin to tell you what to do...
Let me know how it goes

where i got the gasket crush from was a real world post where a guy measured before and after....
and proof is in the pudding, mine didnt seal, take it for what its worth, roll the dice my man.
She didnt work for me and the radd cruisers site specifically mentions the fact of making sure to have your machinist measure for the new teiken gasket to make sure liner protrusion is correct for the aftermarket thin gasket..... evidenced by the fact toyotas is thicker.....and the fact mine failed.
Just tryin to save you 8hrs extra work.... and at the measly cost of $89
I aint tryin to tell you what to do...
Let me know how it goes
I'm not discounting your experience, but without numbers none of this means anything. Maybe your liners were sticking out too much. Mine measures right at .060" from the block to the top. About .010" from block to the ledge. My head gasket measures .065" at the metal rings. That makes me think it will seal. Only one way to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom