3B pre-swap maintenance ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 3B w/ 5spd and am having it installed into my 64 Fj-40. The engine has about 170K miles and was running before being pulled out of a 83 BJ-60. What should I have checked? What should be replaced? Should I have the injectors checked?

Thanks
Michael

The old adage is pretty true for these things, if it aint broke don't fix it. These things are pretty tough and 170K is not all that many miles. If it was running well and started easy when it was pulled from the wagon I would just put it in and work out the bugs as you go. Fix anything obvious but other than that, I would run it. Read and learn about it they are great motors.

The one thing I would do for sure is the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. Lot easier to do that when its out of the rig. And you know the clutch wont be a problem down the road.

If it had some issues prior, thats a different ballgame.

Just my two cents.

Tony

compression test would be a good start.
(where did you find a 3B from a BJ60 with only 170K on it?)
rear main
front main
water pump
diaphram
drop the oil pan and check the BEB to be safe.

other than that everything else is easy with the engine installed

Thanks for all the info. Most is being done already, but I will check on the other stuff. I bought it from a fellow member, Kevin Vowles in BC. Great guy. Helped a ton with everything.

Michael

Thought I would ask here first before starting a new thread...

What are the capacities for the following on a 3b drivetrain, everything has been drained..
-Engine oil w new filter
-Transmission (5spd)
-T-case
-Cooling system (dry) Colour?

any info would be appreciated as I am close to starting it up.. yay!

Thought I would ask here first before starting a new thread...

What are the capacities for the following on a 3b drivetrain, everything has been drained..
-Engine oil w new filter
-Transmission (5spd)
-T-case
-Cooling system (dry) Colour?

any info would be appreciated as I am close to starting it up.. yay!

According to BJ specs from Toyota ....
ENGINE OIL = 6.5 liters
TRANSMISSION = 4.9 liters
TRANSFER CASE = 2.3 liters
COOLING = 13.8 liters
TOYOTA LONG-LIFE RED COOLANT IS BEST ....

You could change out any of the gaskets that are leaking, at the very least the lifter/pushrod cover.
Then paint it up all pretty like.

You may want to think about the pre-cups also. It is alot easier with the engine out of the truck.

Daryl

everything is easier with the motor out. rebuild the whole damn thing :D Honestly though unless it needs something slap it in. The only thing i've found to be a royal pita is swapping out the starter but things may be different swapped into a 40. Of course the rear and front main (and clutch) are way easier out too. The rest of the stuff :meh:

I have removed the cylinder head and replaced pre-cups in 3 engines, twice in the truck and once out of the truck. IT SUCKS and it is hard on the back when it is in the truck. By pulling the head you get a really good look at some pretty important components, I bet you will find the precups cracked, unless the PO did them already? Less than $300 buys peace of mind.

I have changed the starter twice, 1/2 hours work each time, this was on a 60 series. I am sure it is harder on a 70 series. 40 series is super easy.

Yes all the seals are easier to change out of the truck also so why not do them. You are doing a swap, if you do the above items that people mentioned then it should be maintenance free for quite sometime.

Do you really want to throw it in and have to fxxx with it in 6 months to a year when you could not have to fxxx with it at all?

Just my opinion,:cheers:
Daryl

The bottom line is anything can fail at any point... It's a 3B though known for reliability, check compression, oil pressure, maybe throw on a new water pump and glow plugs for piece of mind, some fresh oil and drive...

Spend your money on parts that fail or wear out! You're not working on a V6 in a mini van.., With the batteries and air box out you can pretty much crouch beside the motor on the inner fender...

Although seals would of course be a good idea with it out... My 3B doesn't lose enough oil to notice although I do get drips on the driveway and it has over 300000km on what I would assume to be factory seals and gaskets

I]m doing basically every (outer)seal on my engine, as im gonna be painting it soon,(poor thing hasnt seen a wrench in months though :frown: ) and i don't want oil leaking over my fresh paint job :D also, i did water pump, and have precups, but im second guessing putting them in, as i dont want to find out my head is cracked also and pay for that, im thinking, though, i might as well do it while its out, peace of mind and all :popcorn:

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom