3B Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somebody offered to sell me a power steering pump and mounting bracket off a bad 3B for $350, this seems a little steep to me, should I take it?

I have a fj60 that I am putting a 3b into, the fj had power steering

You'll also need a different altenator if the 3B you now have did not have power steering. They look the same but the mounting ears are slightly different and you will be unable to tension the belts due to insufficient altenator movement.

As for the price, it all depends on what the market dictates! My '82 BJ60 doesn't have power steering and I've got no plans to add it. I know of the altenator problem because of an '84 BJ60 that I used to have that did have power steering.

(like cruiser_guy said),

If you bolt a PS pump&bracket to a 3B with an older (non-PS) alternator, you won't be able to hook up the STOCK alt./fan belt. The reason is, the alternator gets swung on its mount further to the right side of the engine to make room for the PS bracket & pump, rendering the stock belt too short.

HOWEVER, you can retain the stock alternator and still make everything work by;

• removing the stock 'tension bar' (the curved bar that you use to hold the alternator once you've tightened the belt.
  • swinging the stock alternator outboard (further away from the engine).
  • modifying the temperature sensor wiring at the thermostat housing (so it doesn't hit the PS pump bracket.
  • swapping the upper half of the thermostat housing for one that faces the front-left corner of the truck (I'll figure out & post which models/years later)
  • bolting the PS bracket to the block (you'll have to remove the engine-lifting loop & a coolant hose support).
  • installing the new 'tension bar' (mine came with the PS parts -- it mounts to the PS pump).
  • getting a longer belt from the parts-store (I'll post up a part number & length later this evening)

Then comes the fun of running PS lines....

Cheers,
Steve

smcruisin said:
(like cruiser_guy said),

If you bolt a PS pump&bracket to a 3B with an older (non-PS) alternator, you won't be able to hook up the STOCK alt./fan belt. The reason is, the alternator gets swung on its mount further to the right side of the engine to make room for the PS bracket & pump, rendering the stock belt too short.

HOWEVER, you can retain the stock alternator and still make everything work by;

• removing the stock 'tension bar' (the curved bar that you use to hold the alternator once you've tightened the belt.
  • swinging the stock alternator outboard (further away from the engine).
  • modifying the temperature sensor wiring at the thermostat housing (so it doesn't hit the PS pump bracket.
  • swapping the upper half of the thermostat housing for one that faces the front-left corner of the truck (I'll figure out & post which models/years later)
  • bolting the PS bracket to the block (you'll have to remove the engine-lifting loop & a coolant hose support).
  • installing the new 'tension bar' (mine came with the PS parts -- it mounts to the PS pump).
  • getting a longer belt from the parts-store (I'll post up a part number & length later this evening)

Then comes the fun of running PS lines....

Cheers,
Steve

Steve, I'd be surprised that there would be enough "swing" even with a different belt on the non-PS altenator. When I did mine I had lots of belts around since I worked with fan drives all the time for work and I found it tough to get the belt on and then get enough swing to tension it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom