3B engine swap to 15BFT. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the idling revvs? It sounds like it's running a bit fast to me...

Otherwise sounds great ...:clap:

hi, running a bit fast yes, still making some adjustments, the engine runs great, but however I am not pleased with the idling sound .... u cant hear it on the video, but I have to go see the diesel guru later this comming week..... it like not running 100% straight.... sounds a bit of on one cylinder, and it smells a lot of diesel .... from the exhaust. I Will let u know what turns up later..
But.... look at this dyno test i had made on my old 3b engine... a week before the swap.... i know, the old engine could be made a lot better just by adjusting and so on... but i chose another engine ;)

I will give you a new dyno test later on with the new engine.
unnamed.jpg

That's not a lot of power out of the old 3B. Nice flat torque curve though. Would be very interesting to see what the 15B does.

down under you call it a troopie I think ..... we are not allowed to have the rear seats, so back in the 80´s they were sold as vans, without seats.
It came with the 3B engine and the h55f gearbox i belive its called. The 15bft engine came out of a 1996/97/99 kind of dyna truck, flywheel and clutch didnt fit the h55f housing, but I chose to go with a smaller clutch of just 275 mm, instead of 300mm..... using the smaller flywheel from the 3bII engine ..... it has 8 bolt flywheel, the older 3B has only 6 bolt flywheel, but I did use a extreme clutch to make it as good as i can. Maybe i will regret using only 275 mm clutch.....but i took the chance :-/. the extreme clutch is from bj74/71 landcruiser model. Took some time on the internet to link these parts togheter. Now i am finishing up.... slowly....... all the electrical, powersteering pump issues, intercooler, and so on..... time is free of charge luckly....parts are not.
Hello. So you ended up using which flywheel. I ran into the same issue. My aluminum 3b bell housing is too small for the clutch and fly wheel on my 15bt

hi tacoma and others....
long time no see...... well, when I joined the 15bft engine with the h55F gearbox, i had to remove the bigger "Flywheelhousing" behind the big flywheel on the 15bft engine...... then the engine would fit directly to the gearbox, using the smaller flywheel from the "new" generation 3B engine ..... approx year 1995 .... called the 3bII ( 3b2 ) engine, this flywheel is with 8 bolt fitting and it is for 275 mm clutch as i recall..... then i used a extremeclutch for BJ71/74 models(they run 13bt engines and need bigger clutches)..... the original 3B engine only uses 260mm clutch as i recall....

the timing of the engine was off, that has now been corrected, it runs okay now.

hi tacoma and others....
long time no see...... well, when I joined the 15bft engine with the h55F gearbox, i had to remove the bigger "Flywheelhousing" behind the big flywheel on the 15bft engine...... then the engine would fit directly to the gearbox, using the smaller flywheel from the "new" generation 3B engine ..... approx year 1995 .... called the 3bII ( 3b2 ) engine, this flywheel is with 8 bolt fitting and it is for 275 mm clutch as i recall..... then i used a extremeclutch for BJ71/74 models(they run 13bt engines and need bigger clutches)..... the original 3B engine only uses 260mm clutch as i recall....

the timing of the engine was off, that has now been corrected, it runs okay now.
Ok. Thanks for the info donbugge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom