3B engine power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
This question has probably been asked a million times lol. But I’m going to ask it one more time and hopefully get the answer I want and your thoughts.
I’ve got a 1983 BJ42 Lx with 5 speed and im wanting more power. I use the car for camping and touring so it really struggles when I hit an incline/hill on the hwy or freeways especially when I’m carrying all my gear. So I need advice on the best option.
1. Turbo the 3b( I have manifold and turbo to suit)
2. Engine swap to a 13bt
3. Suck it up and pull over and let people overtake. (I do this already and have to hear down to third even second on big hills and I feel like I’m reviving it’s tits off)

Your assistance is appreciated everyone.

Hi! I assume you understand that it’s a very subjective topic.
3B is a stone. Not fast, but suitable for the turbo, if you do it proper and look after the exhaust temperature;
13bt is very nice (night and day to 3B), but rare and expensive to restore; 15bft, by the way, has even more power;
Last option is to keep it original, transport BJ42 with a trailer along the speed roads and drive BJ42 only in the nice areas (where the speed has no issue).

Personally I like the last option, I miss the old World: I search for the slow food & slow travel. Engine is just the start, next steps are the suspension, brakes, noise, handling - and after all these upgrades it will look like an endless surgery over an old lady (with all respect);
PS The last option is also the cheapest and most original (probably the best value).

Hi! I assume you understand that it’s a very subjective topic.
3B is a stone. Not fast, but suitable for the turbo, if you do it proper and look after the exhaust temperature;
13bt is very nice (night and day to 3B), but rare and expensive to restore; 15bft, by the way, has even more power;
Last option is to keep it original, transport BJ42 with a trailer along the speed roads and drive BJ42 only in the nice areas (where the speed has no issue).

Personally I like the last option, I miss the old World: I search for the slow food & slow travel. Engine is just the start, next steps are the suspension, brakes, noise, handling - and after all these upgrades it will look like an endless surgery over an old lady (with all respect);
PS The last option is also the cheapest and most original (probably the best value).
Hmm it’s a tough decision…I love the nostalgia feel of it and the struggle, it makes it part of the journey. Though when on long trips it does start to get annoying especially when the truck is fully loaded with camp gear. I have another bj42 lx that I just use to cruise so I’m not fussed if I upgrade the camper bj42 lx. But I don’t want to do a extreme conversion. I want a east bolt in option like the 13bt. Will there be much difference in performance between a turbocharged 3b and a 13bt? Which will be better to drive? I’m only leaning towards the 13bt because it’s built stock with the turbo..and the Toyota engineers prob no what they are doing instead of someone trying to make a 3b turbo when it wasn’t meant to be.

Install a turbo to 3B. It’ll work and last long if you don’t mess it with (overfuel/heat). It’ll make a big difference, easily almost the same power than 13B-T and over too if you like, but then the reliability is not so good any more.

Holset HE221W (5.5cm2) here in my BJ42:
52820336-ED9E-41AD-B85F-4422A977B686.jpeg

Install a turbo to 3B. It’ll work and last long if you don’t mess it with (overfuel/heat). It’ll make a big difference, easily almost the same power than 13B-T and over too if you like, but then the reliability is not so good any more.

Holset HE221W (5.5cm2) here in my BJ42:
View attachment 3186339
Thanks for your input mate. That’s a nice looking setup. Are you in Australia? Also on a side note is that your fj cruiser in the profile pic?….lol I’ve got the exact same one as my daily.

Thanks for your input mate. That’s a nice looking setup. Are you in Australia? Also on a side note is that your fj cruiser in the profile pic?….lol I’ve got the exact same one as my daily.
No, in Europe, Finland.
Yes, my FJ Cruiser, I’ve owned it 11 years/driven 215tkm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom