3B diesel in an FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'm in the process of restoring an '76 FJ55. It is currently powered by a 2F which, according to the PO, has recently had a rebuild (I'll call it condition unknown :-\). I have a 3B which is nearly finished a rebuild as well as a bellhousing to adapt to an H42 4 speed or H55 5 speed. I'm seriously considering swapping in the 3B engine. I have much more mechanical experience with the diesel 3B than with any gas engine and I have 2 3B powered trucks to use as reference (not donors). The 2F clutch needs replacement :'( and there may be other issues as well (the PO could not get it to run and I have not tried). The 2F will need to be capable of passing the smog test (anyone know how well they do at that?). I've no concern with the 3B passing the smog test, diesels, unless they are worn out totally, always pass.

I'd like to know if the transfer case provided with the FJ55 trucks would work with the H42 4 speed provided with the 3B powered trucks as far as spline count/diameter etc. of the output shaft? ??? How much is a 2F worth, either parted out or whole? ??? What about the related stuff for the 2F, what might that all be worth (tranny, smog pump etc. etc.)? ???

Any leads on 3B powered 'Cruisers parting out (rust not an issue as I only need the electrics)?

Any comments or ideas (I'm more partial to diesel power)?

if it was in australia i'd say 1hz all the way baby, i would have thought that 3b's would bolt straight up, but that's not from experience

Bellhousing is different between the 3B and the 2F, input shaft lengths and spline count are different for the H42 in a 2F and an H42 in a 3B. Engine mounts are in a different location. It's definitely NOT a bolt up.

If it were in Aus Id say 1hdt [fe] all the way... :flipoff2:

How about an HJ61 parts truck?

this is what you get for $8000 US:

12H-T 6 cylinder turbo diesel with all accessories and wire harness
matching H55f 5 speed
split transfer case
disk front axle (60 series)
full floater rear axle (60 series)
cable locking differentials with complete shifters and cables
60 series PTO winch with drivelines, PTO gearbox for a split transfercase and shifter
Factory landcruiser sport seats

This is a complete truck, so there will be more stuff for you to part out.

12ht is not a bad engine, 2h direct injection factory turbo....

Sounds cheap, even if converted to Aus $$$ to buy one here...

How about an HJ61 parts truck?

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=5175;start=msg40189#msg40189 date=1063258261]
this is what you get for $8000 US:

12H-T 6 cylinder turbo diesel with all accessories and wire harness
matching H55f 5 speed
split transfer case
disk front axle (60 series)
full floater rear axle (60 series)
cable locking differentials with complete shifters and cables
60 series PTO winch with drivelines, PTO gearbox for a split transfercase and shifter
Factory landcruiser sport seats

This is a complete truck, so there will be more stuff for you to part out.
[/quote]

Sounds neat, I've seen one of those here locally and everyone was drooling over it. Lots of stuff that would find it's way onto my '82 BJ60 but unfortunately I don't have $8000 burning a hole in my pocket. Is this a right hand drive? Whats wrong with it and where is it?

Unfortunately, I'm not in Austrailia so I don't have access to all the cool stuff they have there. I'm in B.C., Canada.

cruiser_guy, it's near you in BC. RHD vehicle, I believe there are body rust issues. I'll e-mail you the contact info.

Dave

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=1;threadid=5175;start=msg40172#msg40172 date=1063255933]
If it were in Aus Id say 1hdt [fe] all the way... :flipoff2:

[/quote]

too many big end bearing issues along with several other reliability issues, especially in the early ones. they can be alright as long as servicing was up to the letter, according to a toyota mechanic i was working with over summer.

the 1hz is more bulletproof in his and many other people's opinion, and can stand a higher degree of unsympathetic ownership (like home grown turbo's running insane amounts of boost, before they get dyno'd)

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=5175;start=msg41334#msg41334 date=1063634792]
too many big end bearing issues along with several other reliability issues, especially in the early ones. they can be alright as long as servicing was up to the letter, according to a toyota mechanic i was working with over summer.

the 1hz is more bulletproof in his and many other people's opinion, and can stand a higher degree of unsympathetic ownership (like home grown turbo's running insane amounts of boost, before they get dyno'd)
[/quote]

Hmmmm, how could the 1HD-T have main bearing troubles while the 1HZ survive turbocharging better when they share the same bearings? Maybe there is a lot more 1HD-T's running around than the 1HZ's that are getting turboed?

Dave

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=5175;start=msg41567#msg41567 date=1063678691]
Hmmmm, how could the 1HD-T have main bearing troubles while the 1HZ survive turbocharging better when they share the same bearings? Maybe there is a lot more 1HD-T's running around than the 1HZ's that are getting turboed?

Dave
[/quote]

there are more 1hd-t than 1hz's that are turboed. the 1hd-t had a few issues with adequate lubrication under the higher stresses brought on by turbo. also apparently toyota switched bearing companies with the early 1hd-t, and these bearing which would have survived an atmo diesel were at their limits in the turboed engine, so any additional stresses, such as lack of maintanence killed them. i'm just getting this from a guy i worked with who was a toyota mech for 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom