3B Alternator plug wires. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've searched for days on here but cant find the info I need, hoping for some insight. I have a bunch of FSMs downloaded but none of them tell me which wires are which in the plug.

I have an 82 BJ60 3B 12v with an internally regulator alternator I'm trying to wire up in a 77 bj40. I dont have a picture, but if you're looking at the alternator plug, its the standard green 3 wire plug, Blue sits on top flat, on the left is white, and on the right is red. I need to know which color is my battery sense, ignition switch, and dummy light (which I probably wont use anyway).

Best reference I could find was this pic I attached from this thread. The thread makes it seem like I have type 3 in the diagram? Its just confusing cause it doesnt give me the corresponding colors to be sure. I dont wanna start hooking things up and frying stuff. Thanks guys.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...ernator-wiring-need-help-what-goes-where.html
alternator_connections_002.jpg

Maybe this helps?
alt BJ60 internal VR.jpg

Good luck,

Rudi
alt BJ60 internal VR.jpg

Hey Rudi, the plug in your diagram looks like its layed out the same as the type 3 in mine, so I'll go with that and see what I get. Thanks!

Hi Andrew,

I read the connector a bit different. See pic below.
alt bj60 connector.jpg

Tell us what you think.

Edit: The connector is shown from the back (opened up) so it's like a mirror. S and IGN are upside down. L is in the same place.

Rudi
alt bj60 connector.jpg

Last edited:
additional info

Hi Andrew,

I wouldn't trust that connector diagram to much. It's from a British website that deals mainly with Bosch and Lucas equipment. Toyota has it's own way of dealing with connectors.
Recntly we've solved a problem with an alternator where ...... long story short: 2 identical alternators, different pin locations.
All the pics I posted are from BJ60's but as you can see Toyota made 2 versions of this alt with internal regulator.
One version is with the S (sense) external connected to B alt bj60 connector1.JPG
and one version with an internal connection to B.
alt bj60 connector2.JPG

Keep us posted.

Good luck,

Rudi
alt bj60 connector1.JPG
alt bj60 connector2.JPG

Hey Rudi, I've attached some pics so you can see what I'm dealing with. The first diagram you posted seems to match my alternator more than the others. My B terminal is ontop by itself. Based on that, and that original post I linked to, I'm going to try white on the alt as IG and blue as my S. Seems like it worked for that guy, I think he may have his IG and S backwards, but it seemed to charge for him.
IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg

Can anyone definitively identify L S and D on this plug? Internally regulated replacement 3B alternator I sourced. The prongs aren’t orientated the same as shown on the diagrams in this post. The cover is not removable so I can’t see where the wires go. Any help is appreciated! I don’t want to fry any wiring…. Thanks

AF7D9D46-A3A9-43E0-B59A-84B2B74188E9.jpeg

Here's the pinout for the green plug..

1670443025619.png

duncanrm thank you for the pinout! do you know what amp output this alternator is for the auto8 alternator?​

Not sure mate.. all green plugs on Toyota alternators have the same pinout though.

None of the diesel ones with Vac Pumps are particularly impressive in their output though.. factory spec forHJ47 was just 40A (on a good day). An 80A replacement is available in Australia though.

I believe this one came from Australia through cruiserparts.net but I am not 100%. I really appreciate your input, I am going to work on the charging circuit soon so your info will be quite handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom