383 into stock drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking seriously about dropping a 383 Stoker into my 1977 FJ-40 (it's all stock 2F + 4spd drive now). My ultimate goal would be to add either the SM465 or TH400 auto, along with a lower T-case or using something like the new Klune-V "David", with my current T-case. My question is: with all that added HP and torque, would it be best (for now) to go with the 383 + SM465 or should I go for the 383 + Klune-V (or like) and keep my stock 4-spd? Or, just the 383??? Anyone have an opinion re: the 383 vs. a 350? The TH400 (autos are sure nice)? T-cases? Too many choices...not enough cash!

hey 383's rock,but it depends on how you wheel.is it a driver or a wheeler.if its a driver go 350 and stick with the stock train,higher 1st gear for that hardcore smooth shiftin 2nd gear slam.it will stand up to it i know believe me.
if you wheel alot and crawl crazy sh## then go with the 383 465 or 420 then a 3 speed case youll love it.crawl ratio with that setup is great.
but hey if you got the dough to do that kind of stuff go 383 420 3pd case youll love life. :D
thats what id do but im broke!!!!
happy trails
shawn

Around here (SW Missouri) there are steep, gnarly hill climb sections...usually full of deep ruts. As my rig is, she can't make it up a number of the hills. Alot of that is probably due to my skills to date. My 2F has seen better days though, and I'm tugging 35's. Is the Klune-V's, and like crawler boxes not really needed if I plant a strong 350 or 383? Is the 3-spd Cruiser T-case the best deal? What about the benefits of the SM465 or TH400 (other than the Granny gear 1st).

i really dont know much about the crawler box stuff other than serious gear reduction.
imo,all you need for some gnarly rutty hills,is a decent 350 or 383,and a sm465 or 420(420's are harder to find parts for but they have a lower granny gear) and the cruiser 3spd case.the reason behind the 3spd case is the gears are decently low,the adapter from the trans to the case isnt that expensive(200-300bucks) and you dont have to worry about switching the axles(pass side drop).
oh and i would stay away from auto's.they are just way to picky.not to mention if you ever bash the pan and lose fluid youre screwed.a th400 is a tough trans but not for a cruiser.now thats just my opinion and theres definately people out there thatll argue all day about it.
.02 cents
shawn

383 Tune Port Fuel Injected here. It is all backed up with a decent rebuilt 700R4 auto, then the stock 4sp TC, then on down to 5:29 gears. Ok why? 383 = torque! TPI = run at any angle w/smooth controlled power. 700R4 = 3:1 first gear yet 30% over drive to let me run 5:29’s and still only turn 2200 RPM going 60mph on the way to wheal. Auto vrs. Stick will always be debated. I am sold on the auto myself. Shawn has a point here, yes the belly of the pan is a week spot if ¼ steel is not in front of it, but mine does so no worries. This combination is just amazing for over all versatility. Here in the Pacific North West, winter is roots and ruts, yet in the summer I will hull it down to Moab or the Rubicon. I have no need for any lower gears, yet when I need to get on it this sucker comes alive! And if I need to drive if to work it is great on the HW. Yes 383!

Mark

I run a sb400 chev and th400, dana 20 tc, 456 gears. I love the torque of the engine (similar to the 383) I like the th400, but the problem I have is that whenever I work the truck, like climbing a hill, I get excessive heat, and I have not been able to remedy it. So I will be going to a sm465 to dana 300 tc, in hopes of keeping the truck cooler and for the crawl ratio.

The heat problem may be from the sb400, rather than anything else. They are notorious for overheating - so I've read. That's why I am going with the 383. Cool running, with mega torque!

I use to have a 350 in the truck that ran even hotter. It may be the 2500 stall converter and the fact I can't run a mechanical fan. When I go to the sm465 and dana 300 I can run the mechanical fan and no heat will be generated by the slush box. lower gearing will help also

hey helocat,saweeeeeet set up!!! :eek: i wish i could have something like that.im not to big on the auto trans mainly because i personally have had bad luck with them,but i have also been in some rigs that they worked great,and it looks like yours is working great.thats awesome.
the way i see it its all opinion and what you like,i like stick you like auto both are very good.
i guess i just like to slam second gear, and third ;)!!
happy trails
shawn

Thanks, yup we all have different preferences.

Niner: The mechanical fan does make a big difference. I am running a 19” GM five blade off a ¾ ton truck. I am still getting away with the stock radiator (stock 1979 w/AC radiator = 2” more in width, so a bit bigger than most stock) but heat is an issue idling for 30 minutes then getting on it in high temps. I creep up to 230, not too bad but not optimum. Before I toss in some over priced aluminum radiator I am going to replace the front fenders with tube fenders and make the inner-wells removable. I think this will be the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom